Front sway bar noise

ssssSnake

2003 and a 2005 long tall
I have a 2005, 2500 long/tall body. Has 200 k miles.

The rubber bushings on the main FRONT sway bar were worn out. I was getting a lot of clinking and clunking from the sway bumping against the frame. I replaced the main bushings and solved the problem for about a year. Then it came back. I checked the connecting rods in the end of the sway bar and they were worn. I replaced them with new as well as the main bushings again. This moved the sway bar away from the frame about 3/8”. Noise went away for about a month. Now it’s back and the sway bar is now again resting real close to the frame. Can anyone check the gap between there front sway bar to the frame on similar year? I am thinking about putting sort of spacer somewhere to allow more gap but thought I would check here to see if any of you guys have any good advice. I’ve attached pics to help. Thank you!

Attachments

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
In your fourth photo the bushing is not correctly installed, the flat side should be against the sub-frame. This may alter the position of the bar very slightly.

Keith.

ssssSnake

2003 and a 2005 long tall
Update. Figured it out! I compared my sway bar, end rods to another vehicle. My sway bar ends are put on wrong. They are swapped left for right. The elbow should point in towards the middle of vehicle and not out. This will space the lower bar out a good 3/4” Thanks to all who replied.

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
Update. Figured it out! I compared my sway bar, end rods to another vehicle. My sway bar ends are put on wrong. They are swapped left for right. The elbow should point in towards the middle of vehicle and not out. This will space the lower bar out a good 3/4” Thanks to all who replied.
True, your appear swapped (sway3.jpg), but the lower lip of your cross member appears to be pushed forward? That edge is more or less flat with the subframe on mine.
(See sway1.jpg my prev post)

-dave

Attachments

Top Bottom