Engine dies on right hand turns

LastDtichRacing

Have been having serious issues with my 2006 LWB 2500 Sprinter the past couple of months.

On right hand turns the truck dies. Codes that come up on my scangauge involve the injectors(bad ground, etc).

Took it to the dealer and all they could think to do was replace the ECM/ECU. Picked it up today and the truck died tonight going around a right hand turn at around 30mph. First incident was exiting the interstate around 50mph.

Seems to be a consistent issue. Have searched the forums and found some issues mentioning chaffing on wiring harness, fuel pumps, starters, etc.

If I cycle the key, the truck will start right back up and drives fine. Until the next right hand turn(or perhaps the one after the next).

I'm worried I'm going into a deep dark hole with the dealer and would like to check some things on my own, or at least share some community experience with them from you knowledgeable folks here on the forums. :)

Cheers! John

poiuytrewq

I know you wont like my sugestion, but if you try real hard, you can travel throught life only making LEFT turns. But on a serious note, the only thing that comes to mind is a roll over sensor that is tied into the computer, pretty sure there are a couple sensors that could shut the engine off. But that is one of the strangest things iv ever read about a sprinter.

sikwan

06 Tin Can
How much of a right turn are you doing?

- Hard full right turn with G-forces.
- Light full right turn (wheel turned all the way to the right).
- Light half right turn (right lane to a farthest left lane).
- Slight right turn (lane change).

There's a yaw sensor underneath the driver's seat, but I don't know if that has anything to do with your problem.

LastDtichRacing

Hehe....trust me, I've already tried to drive home without making a righthand turn! Damn difficult! :)

I was thinking that there might be a sensor related to the roll angle/yaw as well, but don't know the sprinter systems well enough to make an educated guess.

It seems as if some safety system is kicking in when cornering.

Thanks for the feedback. This rig hauls our race gear, usually long distances, and it's the, "mother ship," for the team. If the Sprinter is down, we're down.

John

cedarsanctum

re: Member
This sounds like an electrical connection being broken or shorted when weight is moving things around on a turn. You need to go over all the wiring harnesses very carefully to find abrasion, or look for bad ground connections. Maybe something in a harness connector is not seated fully and loses contact when things shift.

These intermittent problems are always the hardest things to find. Good luck.

Jef

cheapbikeguy

I had an 84 firebird that did the same thing, it ended up being a fuel tank issue that some of them had. but can't see that happening on the sprinter fuel system. sounds electrical to me.

Top Bottom