Streamlining - Wind/Air drag on Sprinter

Barrelsaver

Our Sprinters (NCV3's) push a lot of air at highway speeds. Has anyone tried any streamline work to reduce the air drag and hopefully improve fuel mileage? I can't help wondering if there was some way to improve the aerodynamics, especially the flat back rear end area??? Any ideas?

david_42

Sprinters are rather well designed from an aerodynamic standpoint, those roof channels aren't there for pretty. I know one person who installed Airtabs. He says it increased his mileage about 1 mpg and improves handling. They do not, however, help keep the rear cleaner.

piper1

Resident Oil Nerd.
Add my vote for the Airtabs. I haven't had them on long enough to be 100 percent sure but I am seeing a 1.7 mpg improvement. Biggest benefit has been very increased stability!!:clapping:

Barrelsaver

My Scangauge II has a LOD function that provides a relative measure of the engine load being used at any given speed, grade, etc.
I would think a person could make a Sprinter test run at 65 mph for a mile on a level road in still wind conditions and record the LOD reading. Then install :thinking:those Y shaped vortex generators to the rear edges of the Sprinter, and repeat the same test run and get a lower LOD reading... to see how much these things actually reduce the drag. Does this sound like a valid approach?

Top Bottom