Aftermarket radio - backup camera

cptdondo

I installed an aftermarket Kenwood head. Everything works except for the backup camera.

The radio works fine as long as the key is in ACC position. Once the engine starts it kicks over to backup camera and stays there.

I think what's happening is that Crutchfield wired the harness wrong, and ran the ignition wire to the backup sense input on the head.

Anyone know which wire is for the reverse sense on the original OEM harness?

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think there is such a wire. I'm pretty sure that the radio gets the "reverse" signal from the CANbus, not a physical wire.

However, you can find such a wire in your driver's-side "A" pillar. The wire color is WHITE/BLUE.

enjoitheride

I’m interested in this, too. I’m looking to add a new head-unit, and I have factory backup camera. How do I get the reverse camera to work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cptdondo

Yes, Crutchfield can provide the backup camera cable. As well as the USB cable, and the antenna cable. It's a simple plug and play, except for the canbus/backup signal screwup. I'll pull the radio again later today and see if I can make sense of it.

cptdondo

OK mystery solved. I bought the pre-wired kit from Crutchfield (well worth every penny, BTW). And it comes with a little switch that switches between cameras. One position on the switch selects the backup camera permanently. The Crutchfield support guy was a bit surprised so I don't think this was an expected result, but playing with the switch makes it all work.

robzr

Another route you can take is to get a module that converts the CAN bus signals into analog voltage based output (which is what the radio is expecting). Metra/Axxess makes these units for many modern vehicles, they are under $50.

XSVI-1784-NAV was the part for my ‘08 that originally had a Sound 5 stereo (Sound 20 Sprinters use a different part number). It also plugs directly into the stock harness and provides bare wires you can connect to your radio harness for power, speakers, etc.

ASWC-1 is a CAN bus adapter that converts the steering wheel controls into signals most aftermarket radios can use, and you can even program it over USB to change what the buttons do or assign alternate functions for long vs short press. It plugs right into the XSVI-1784-NAV.

I used these while installing an Alpine iLX-207 (for Apple Carplay) along with a KTP-445U amplifier, it all fits nicely in the dash and works great. The backup camera works automatically in reverse, and I wired a dash switch into it so it will flip over to the backup camera while not in reverse as well. The iLX-207 has a setting which enables the camera to display even if the head unit is not on, too.

Rob

enjoitheride

So, does the Crutchfield cable work, and allow backup camera to activate on head unit when putting in reverse?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dbuzz77

Dbuzz77
I bought a cable off ebay and plugged it in but there was no switched power wire. i had to bring it from under the seat. my stereo has a a rev camera wire that i assume hooks up to the cam.

robzr

So, does the Crutchfield cable work, and allow backup camera to activate on head unit when putting in reverse?
Yes. Also, after I posted my post about the Metro/Axxess harness adapter, I realized it is the same part Crutchfield is selling that earlier posters referred to.

Highly recommended, as is the ASWC-1 to use the steering wheel controls.

Rob

Bob Laps

Did u guys have to use the microphone that came with the radio for phone use? Or did the OE microphone work?

Bob

levinro

2016 Sprinter 144" 4x4 / 2021 Ford Transit
Did u guys have to use the microphone that came with the radio for phone use? Or did the OE microphone work?

Bob
I used the microphone that came with the radio. I ran it up the A pillar to the storage shelf above my head while driving. It just reached that location for me. I would recommend an extension to make sure you have plenty of slack.

I bought a cable off ebay and plugged it in but there was no switched power wire. i had to bring it from under the seat. my stereo has a a rev camera wire that i assume hooks up to the cam.
Where is the best place to get switched power from under the seat? I am in the process and my harness has the same issue.. the red wire needs to be fused I am assuming also? what size fuse?

dbuzz77

Dbuzz77
someone told me (i can't find where) if you take the seat off there is a block on the left inside facing you that you can use. mine was wired but the po so i don't know the fusing

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Tapping switched (and unswitched) power in a US-delivered NCV3:

You are seeking item (4): (front of Sprinter is bottom of photo)

which looks like this (under the flip-lid):

--dick

Top Bottom