PDA

View Full Version : Why Dodge?, Not Mercedes.

mgameros
01-23-2007, 04:43 AM
Why is it the Mercedes Sprinter re-badged and sold as a Dodge for the USA?

rvdriverca
01-23-2007, 05:40 AM
In eu a Mercedes is just a nice car, they also make nice trucks. In Canada and USA it means a lot more than that. Like just think of it to have your plumber show up in a Mercedes to fix your tap or what ever. This guy is making tonnes of big $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. If the same man comes in a dodge oohh well, just transportation. It's all in the name.

chaozz
01-23-2007, 05:47 AM
better question will you leave it as a Dodge or
bring it back to how it was born:smirk:

Altered Sprinter
01-23-2007, 06:22 AM
the Chrysler division needed a replacement vehicle for its aging Van
Yes the Dodge front was a backwards steep to say here's our new Dodge:thinking:
However if it was sold as a Mercedes-Benz as such, then it would have to have been distributed via the Mercedes franchise outlets as a first option, as the decision were by the marriage of Daimler Chrysler in 1998, it of course went to the DCX management, to be distributed via it's network of Dodge and Freightliner franchise' outlets.
The rest is History

It would be interesting to know how many have gone back to the Mercedes front end, not that many I would think, but the dodge front is not that bad , I like it.
Richard

Altered Sprinter
01-23-2007, 06:34 AM
In eu a Mercedes is just a nice car, they also make nice trucks. In Canada and USA it means a lot more than that. Like just think of it to have your plumber show up in a Mercedes to fix your tap or what ever. This guy is making tonnes of big $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. If the same man comes in a dodge oohh well, just transportation. It's all in the name.
That was what DCX thought too! Here's the joke, VW Crafter are saying the same thing with their re-badged Sprinter?
Here is a proven fact in reversing this theory, some folk might just say what you have said! Oh'oo "HE"S MAKING TOO MUCH MONEY"
OK! But who's screwing who?
Now it also works the other way around the double sided coin can also say "Well HE'S MAKING MONEY!The Firm has presented itself in a clean and very coefficient manor, I like his style, Lets give him the contract" As the cheap skate in a used and worn out clap trap doodles off. with his exhaust between his legs:smirk:
Present your self with style! and you can and will command a "higher rate" as to the image you present to a prospective customer,
It does work.
Richard

Atlee
01-23-2007, 10:50 AM
the Chrysler division needed a replacement vehicle for its aging Van
Yes the Dodge front was a backwards steep to say here's our new Dodge:thinking:
However if it was sold as a Mercedes-Benz as such, then it would have to have been distributed via the Mercedes franchise outlets as a first option, as the decision were by the marriage of Daimler Chrysler in 1998, it of course went to the DCX management, to be distributed via it's network of Dodge and Freightliner franchise' outlets.
The rest is History

It would be interesting to know how many have gone back to the Mercedes front end, not that many I would think, but the dodge front is not that bad , I like it.
Richard

I like my FreightLiner badge better than either MB or Dodge. With the FreightLiner badge, I can pretend I'm one of the "Big Boys", aka 18 wheelers.:D

Altered Sprinter
01-23-2007, 11:00 AM
Fair enough comment too "Good One"
Richard

Zach Woods
01-23-2007, 01:13 PM
That was what DCX thought too! Here's the joke, VW Crafter are saying the same thing with their re-badged Sprinter?
Here is a proven fact in reversing this theory, some folk might just say what you have said! Oh'oo "HE"S MAKING TOO MUCH MONEY"
OK! But who's screwing who?
Now it also works the other way around the double sided coin can also say "Well HE'S MAKING MONEY!The Firm has presented itself in a clean and very coefficient manor, I like his style, Lets give him the contract" As the cheap skate in a used and worn out clap trap doodles off. with his exhaust between his legs:smirk:
Present your self with style! and you can and will command a "higher rate" as to the image you present to a prospective customer,
It does work.
Richard

Hey Richard -

Good points! There is also the "do it right the first time / spend the money up front in order to save money in the long run" angle. If I buy an MB work truck I will spend more up front but may save money in the long run. If I buy some other, cheaper brand, I will save money up front but very well may end up losing in the long run.

Also, at the current prices, DODGE Sprinters are just as expensive as Mercedes Sprinters. I suppose a workman's customers will not know that but it sort of puts the lie to the "their plumber can't be making too much money, he's driving a Dodge Sprinter" theory!

Zach

Zach Woods
01-23-2007, 01:15 PM
Richard

Howdy Richard -

Not scientific, I agree, but check out http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132 for anecdotal data on this question.

Zach

Don Horner
01-23-2007, 02:13 PM
Yes. it's important to present an image of reasonable success to build confidence, but in the U.S., it's just as important to be careful that image is not better than the client's level, or certainly not higher than the client might wish to achieve.

The best guage is an insurance man. If he's any good, he earns a very good income and can afford whatever car he wants. However, my Father-in-law was an insurance man, and he always drove a DeSoto rather than a Chrysler. Others I have known drove Buicks rather than Cadillacs, and today, my best friend is an insurance man who drives the top Accura rather than a Lexus. Driving the top model, in each case, would creat a resentment in the clients who aspire to drive the top model, themselves. It also creates a bad feeling in the clients who drive the Chrysler, Lincoln, Cadillac, or Lexus, because they know how much money they spent on their vehicles, and they resent knowing that their money is being spent by a mere insurance man.

Extending that same logic to a van, it's important for the tradesman to present a solid image, which he achieves with the physical presence of the Dodge or Freightliner van, which most people also recognize as the first choice of FedEx, a successful company they respect. They would resent it if they thought their fees were paying for a Mercedes Benz!

U.S. viewers are always amazed when they see a M-B being used as a taxicab in a foreign film.

As for the M-B badging on my Sprinter, I went to it, and I love the reactions. Yesterday, I was visiting the local Gold's Gym, which has a plate glass window next to the entrance. I was parked right in front, and was sitting near the window waiting for an appointment. The personal trainers were gathered around their desk nearby. One nudged another and pointed out the window, and another turned and looked and said, "Oh, wow, a Mercedes motor home!" The others all wheeled around and there were repeated oohs, ahhs and "Wow!"s. I'm not ashamed to admit it tickled me. I also often see folks in the next car doing a double-take when they spot the grille.

I never got the same reaction when it was a Freightliner...

BaywoodBill
01-23-2007, 04:29 PM
For the last 9 years before I retired I drove a small Mercedes sedan as my business car and I noticed many things, among them: people deferred to me at stop signs; most of my customers looked on it as a sign I could be trusted and thatr I could help them.

When we got our LTV we considered rebadging and opted against it, not on aesthetic reasons but on to belief that it would be more a target for vandals or thieves. We have toyed with idea of removing the "powered by Mercedes" badge.

mgameros
01-23-2007, 08:05 PM
I also get those double takes on the FWY mostly, I have to say it fun watching them:smirk: