Weight distribution suggestions please.

gilo20

Hi guys,

5 days ago I bought my 2006 140" dodge sprinter :) and I am super excited about the years of creations and adventures ahead.
https://www.facebook.com/The-GOFER-1481151562114158/?ref=br_rs

A question:

- Where is the best location in the 140" to position the two heaviest appliances; 2 batteries and 30 gallons water tank?

I though about exactly on the rear wheel axis. Correct me if i am wrong.

Thank you for you help and have a great weekend.

Gil Gofer.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
It depends upon what *else* you're planning to add...

IF you're going to be doing extensive cabinetry (which is heavy), then biasing forward helps.

The MB Body Builders Information Guides (BBIG) discuss where to put weight and how to calculate its effects.

Versions are available here: http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/ (as is the 2006 service manual)

--dick

gilo20

thank you very much.

i will have to see examples of what is extensive cabinetry vs. not extensive to say.

i plan to put cabinets above the kitchen, bed and maybe the driver and passenger sit. i think its pretty much what most people do.

Gil.

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
You may wish to hit a truck scale and get it weighed for a baseline weight?

My van is a 2004 140” high roof cargo with a second row 3-seat bench.
Empty weight with a full fuel tank, driver, and bench was 5480 lbs gross (3020 front/2460 rear)

I’ve added a bed platform, futon, hammocks, and a cargo drawer for a camp kitchen.
They’ve brought my fueled weight to 6360 gross (3120 front/3240 rear) before passengers, food, and luggage.

The cargo vans are rated for 8550 gvwr (3860 gawr front; 5360 gawr rear)
That 800 pounds of front axle payload can get used up quickly if you don’t pay attention, so I’d keep a spreadsheet of major loads and how they are located in the van relative to the axles. With planning you’ll have the van nicely balanced, which will make highway driving far more pleasant.

-dave

i have a 118 sprinter 2006.
the stiffness of the front axle is very different from the stiffness of the rear axle.

when I drive with 1200 pounds on the rear axle and 1200 pounds on the front axle (behind the driver's seat) the suspension of the van feels very forced in the front.

I try to carry 70% of the load on the rear axle. In this way I feel compensated for the weight of the engine with the weight of the load that I put on it and I do not go bouncing in the cabin.

For stability in curves the load must be centered with respect to the 4 tires (that's why the sports cars try to have the engine in the center), but if we put all the load there, the front axle goes to the floor and feels very forced . I have loaded heavy objects such as 1800 kg (3,600 lbs.) Glass blocks on the rear axle without any problem except for tires that have exploded due to excess load.

gilee

2006 Sprinter 2500 Camper
I thought about this alot after I bought my 2005 140" 2500.
I end up putting battery (2 200ah AGM) + 33gallon both on passenger. 33g tank on rear wheel, battery before wheel.
Everything else on driver side, including 25gallon gas tank, and my grey water tank (below Van) (fridge, shower, toilet, 20lb propane tank, stove, sink, water heater, and cabinet from rear to driver seat)

So far, i braking, turning, highway... I dont feel unbalance yet.
Will need to get the Van weight once finished building.
Hope this helps.

vanski

If it’s winter, I’m probably skiing..
is this a 2500 or 3500 sprinter? if 2500, carry on :))

Last edited:

Top Bottom