ASR malfunction help!

J-Chuz

Hi from the "new guy",

I have just purchased my first Sprinter (see signature) and am building it out as a mobile office. I live in Norfolk, VA (flat land). The truck was running fine until last night when... Well, before I left my shop I pushed the ASR button just to see what icons appeared on the display. The normal triangle w/! showed up. I turned it off and started returning home (approx 20 min ride). It was about 80 degrees and I was traveling approx 60-70mph (w/no trailer or additional weight) and 15 minutes later the ASR malfunction icon appeared on the dash display. When i exited the interstate all was fine. Then while trying to take off the van had low power and wouldn't shift out of 1st gear. I limped it home in 1st gear and parked it for the night.
Since I have cleaned the ASR switch with contact cleaner, disconnected the battery for approx 30min, and tried driving again. Same thing... Oh, and there is no P, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or D displays on the dash and ASR malfunction icon is still on.
Anyone have any experience w/this?
Any advice is welcome. :eek:
Just a bit of background...I, having read various threads here realize I don't have the mech aptitude as most here :idunno:
I am however, excited to have this Sprinter and look forward to worry free driving.
Thanks,

TimJuhl

Welcome Justin,

Sorry to see you having trouble so soon. I don't have ASR on my 3500(actually I don't have ESP) so I can't be of much help to you (still true). I don't suppose you have a Scangage and can check for codes?

Something obviously told the van to go into limp home mode. To figure it out I suspect you need input from a true Sprinter guru. If he doesn't chime in on his own you should give Doktor A a call and get his input (412-366-6165).

Good luck and be sure to report back on your findings.

Tim

Last edited:

maxextz

Rollin Rollin Rollin.....
hi justin,
welcome to the forum. i looked at the manual and in troubleshooting it says" the asr/bas indicator lamp lights up when engine is running. asr or pull-away assist has been deactivated due to malfunction" and "the vehicles handling characteristics are afected,the engine power output may then be lower" on another section it says only deactivate asr for a brief period, there is the risk of damaging the brake system"
thats from the owners manual, ill see if i can find out anything else.

ps any other dash lights coming on?
max........

TimJuhl

These might help if you don't already have them

2003 Service manual <http://savefile.com/projects/1044010>

The 2003 owners manual is not available that I'm aware of.....the 2004 should work. <https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6144&highlight=2003+owners+manual>

Tim

J-Chuz

Thanks for the input Tim and Max,
Max--There is a solid triangle at the bottom right (under the gas gauge) however, i think this is because the gas gauge is not working and it stuck on E (so it's telling me to refuel).
Tim--Thanks for the info in the service manual links and Docs #. They will be my next steps.

We'll see how it goes this morning...Maybe it has fixed itself :hmmm:
Thanks guys!

J-Chuz

Just an update... It did the same thing this morning.
I have sent the truck to a local transmission shop that says they have seen this before. They have not put a scanner on it yet so I don't know their prognosis yet. I should know what they want to do late this afternoon or tomorrow.
Thanks again for your help!
Justin

Greezydiesel

Hi there - I'm new here and am so glad to Find a promising source for sprinter info. I'm also having some ASR trouble with an '03 2500 10 passenger, 70K miles. We use the van at our hotel as the airport shuttle. ASR light has come on intermittently for 6 months now. Last friday with a load of 10 passengers the driver heard a "thud" from rear and motor shut down. Within a few minutes van restarted as normal. No other similar issues before or since, except that ASR light comes on and off and the Airbag light comes on often as well.

I suspected that the system had some sort of traction control issue and, as a fail safe, the vehicle limped and shut down. I haven't had a chance to hook up diagnostics but will take a look at it next week. Any ideas?

For full disclosure I should say that I converted this vehicle to run on WVO using an Elsbett system. I am an Elsbett installer. The vehicle has had no issues running on my well filtered veggie oil.

Hi there - I'm new here and am so glad to Find a promising source for sprinter info. I'm also having some ASR trouble with an '03 2500 10 passenger, 70K miles. We use the van at our hotel as the airport shuttle. ASR light has come on intermittently for 6 months now. Last friday with a load of 10 passengers the driver heard a "thud" from rear and motor shut down. Within a few minutes van restarted as normal. No other similar issues before or since, except that ASR light comes on and off and the Airbag light comes on often as well.

I suspected that the system had some sort of traction control issue and, as a fail safe, the vehicle limped and shut down. I haven't had a chance to hook up diagnostics but will take a look at it next week. Any ideas?

For full disclosure I should say that I converted this vehicle to run on WVO using an Elsbett system. I am an Elsbett installer. The vehicle has had no issues running on my well filtered veggie oil.
It would be so easy to blame the WVO. This is not based upon anything but reading around forums, just a shot in the dark. Have any fuses blown? Being that you have both the ASR and the Air Bag lights coming on I would check your wiring harnesses for possible wear and cutting through to the wiring. There have been some reports of harnesses chafing on a bracket under the steering the wheel, areas around the battery, and around the general areas of the engine injector cover among others. For full disclosure these are not specific to your model year, but as time and mileage marches on wiring harness chafing can become more of a problem.

A search may get you more details. Did I mention this is a shot in the dark? To help me feel like I was at least trying on my own and doing something I would check the wiring if it were my vehicle. Like chicken soup for a cold, it certainly can't hoyt. Hope this does some good. AP

J-Chuz

Ok guys, just another update. The Transmission shop has had my van since Tuesday at noon (3.5 days). They says it is spitting upwards of 30 codes and have not determined if it is electrical or hydraulic or both. They are looking up schematics and hope to have an answer later today. But, then again, they have been hoping since Tues.
Thanks
Justin :idunno:

amhobby

If I were you I would take it to the busiest Spriner dealer in the area, I bet they have ssen this many times and know how to fix it. They will also have the correct scan tools and software. Don't pay a tranny shop to train on your vehicle. Mine displayed the traction control light and the cruise control would not work either. It turned out to be the brake light fuse located under the steering colum.

If I were you I would take it to the busiest Spriner dealer in the area, I bet they have ssen this many times and know how to fix it. They will also have the correct scan tools and software. Don't pay a tranny shop to train on your vehicle. Mine displayed the traction control light and the cruise control would not work either. It turned out to be the brake light fuse located under the steering colum.
I agree with not letting them use the earn while you learn repair methods. I use it all the time on my DIY stuff, but I don't want a shop doing it.

There is nothing worse than trying to resolve the original problem after someone has added 1, or even 2 or 3 more issues to the mix while "fixing" it. Pay a reasonable price for their efforts and find someone with the tools and experience needed. My unsolicited advice and worth everything you paid for it. AP

BirdmanHDvan

J- Cruz,

What ever happened to your situation?

I am experiencing a similar situation. I was driving back from Montana the other day when rather abruptly, my van suddenly turned off on the interstate. I braked and pulled over having had no indication of any problem at all. The Yellow light on the right side ( Acceleration skid control (ASR) malfunction and brake assist (BAS) malfunction light) came on. As it shows a tire on the indicator, being confused, I got out and looked at all the tires. I looked to see if any were going flat and the checked each out to see if anything were wrapped around the axle or lodged in the caliper areas.

Finding nothing, I climbed back in and tried to restart the engine. It started right up. The Yellow light was on for a moment then blinked off. Everything seemed fine. About 600 miles later, it happened again. Same thing. No problems - appear to be no codes on the Scan Gauge II. I have no idea on what to do. So what were the results of your problems?

I have been reluctant to drive it anywhere as I am often in very remote locations.

BirdmanHDvan

Hi Dick,

2003 158" 2500 HT

Ok I'll dig into wiring and fuses tomorrow.

I'm trying to get the courage up to cut in the Maxx air Fan too. I've put in two windows, but the roof is different...
:crazy:

Tim

smokeyboyz

I am having the same issue its just the light with tire and a arrow pointing up and down cruise won't work when its on either i just restart van and its ok for a while notice when its wet i get it more often. Any advise on where to to start would be helpful. Thanks

jessemilton

mobile man
My van had a problem with ASR and ABS and it turned out to be my wheel speed sensors. If your working on your van yourself i would purchase a autel 802,($300 amazon) if your have a early year sprinter. It has worked to retrieve sprinter specific codes and reset engine and transmission lockouts.

glvu

I have 2003 ten passengers van with 230k. Lately, the engine would not turn over after we put the van in park and turn off the engine. About a 20 minute wait, the engine would start and drive fine. Yesterday, we drove the the kids to the mall and on the freeway the engine just stopped. I notice the ASR (acceleration skid control) malfunction light came on. We waited for about 20 minutes and the engine would start and we drove it off the freeway to the next exit ramp and the engine would cut off again. We put the van into neutral and cruise into the nearest shopping mall. This time we left the car in park for 2 hours, got some dinner, came back start the van and drove for 20 miles home on city streets.

These are some of the things that we have done to the van about 4k miles ago due to it two days of limp home mode (lhm).
Replace the transmission's electrohydraulic unit (speed sensor).
Replace the transmission's oil filter and oil.

some of the OBDII scan code
fault 01 AB-airbag
fault 01 ABS-Anti lock bracking system
fault 04 KI-instrument cluster
fault 04 CR-common rail
fault 02 EWN-electronic selector lever module
fault 04 HZR-heating control.

glvu

Took the car to a local mechanic and he drove it around until the van stall. Went under the van and spray the crank shaft connector with some cleaners and it started right up. Pick up and replace the crank shaft sensor and have been driving it around in 90 degree heat and no stalling. Spoke with Dr. A and he said that if the car stall the ASR malfunction light will switch on and it has nothing to do acceleration skid control causing van to stall. MY next fix is to look into the ASB fault codes. Anyone with suggests?

Top Bottom