Lowbeams die after washing

sprinterpard

I just wand- washed my van, and went to drive off into the night, noticing that my low-beam headlights were suddenly dead on both sides. Day-time running lights and high beams fine. This after haveing replaced a bulb a couple of months and not many miles ago. Anyone had similar problems? I will check the fuse.

Cheers,
Pard.

312 diesel (closed)

It's a party trick when they get old and don't get used much. 2 things seem to happen. The multi plug on the back of the headlight develops some corrosion, and the metal where the bulb itself sits gets a bit dirty. Clean both and all will be well. It should be a zero cost, just a bit of TLC repair.

sprinterpard

Thanks dude. I think it's something else. Everything back there looks clean. I think it is sadly something else - the washer-fluid motor does not work either, and there is a sizzling soundthat occurs after I turn the engine off. I can hear it coming from below in the passenger side (NA) of the engine bay, when I open the hood. Funny thing is, sometimes it will cut out if I jiggle the connector to the low-beam when it is off of the bulb. This makes me nervous, as I have heard the wiring harness is different for every van, and I was to take this on holidays right away.
Cheers,
Pard

312 diesel (closed)

The wiring harness isn't different for every van, it's a mass produced product! If you have multiple electrical strangeness in the same location check the earth wires on the inner wings, check the fuses, check the multi position switch.

si.

Thanks dude. I think it's something else. Everything back there looks clean. I think it is sadly something else - the washer-fluid motor does not work either, and there is a sizzling soundthat occurs after I turn the engine off. I can hear it coming from below in the passenger side (NA) of the engine bay, when I open the hood. Funny thing is, sometimes it will cut out if I jiggle the connector to the low-beam when it is off of the bulb. This makes me nervous, as I have heard the wiring harness is different for every van, and I was to take this on holidays right away.
Cheers,
Pard
im guessing your van is LD drive so the sizzling sound is comeing from the turbo side of the engine (left hand side as you open the bonnet)??? Im sure more senior fella's will correct me if im wrong but the sizzling sound comes from the turbo or there abouts and makes a noise for a couple of minutes after the engine is switched off. This got me worried at first a while back but all the sprinters ive seen do this, It could be like a ''turbo timer'' :idunno:which they fit to some turbo cars so the turbo doesn't stop straight away when its switched off making the life of the turbo last longer etc. You just happened to have your hands down behind the head lamp as it stopped. As for your bulb problem it could be just a case of a bad bulb which ive had before,yourve just got to be carfull when you buy it not to knock it before and whilst ure fitting it as they are quite fragile

sprinterpard

Thanks for your observations. I thought it was the turbo too, but there have been multiple instances of the noise cutting out exactly as a jiggle a wire, and then coming back in again. Pretty sure it is not the bulbs, as one is quite new. I have wussed out and taken the van to a decent dealer - crosstown fleet service, where they seem to know their heads from their backsides and actually act like they want my business. I have to work on other things, and need this fixed. Cheers,
Mark

rlent

It could be like a ''turbo timer'' :idunno:which they fit to some turbo cars so the turbo doesn't stop straight away when its switched off making the life of the turbo last longer etc.
The only turbo timers" I'm familiar with are those that defer engine shutdown after the ignition key has been turned off - either for a defined period of time, or based on exhuast gas temps (EGT's) - I'm unaware of any device that "keeps the turbo running" when the engine is off. If you are aware of such a device please post a link.

(BTW, the reason this is done is to avoid "coking" the oil which remains in an extremely hot turbo, which comes from shutting the engine down prematurely after it has been driven hard ... ie. highway speeds, etc.)

sprinterpard

Well, live and learn. The bulbs were dead, and the windshield fluid pump was too. The bulbs looked good, and one was pretty new. Needless to say, it was expensive to find this out. However, I at least managed to install the pump myself, thought I paid a dealership price for it (minus 15% fleet discount). Was $100 Canadian. I would have gotten it cheaper from europarts had not the other dealership hemmed and hawed and delayed about quoting me a price on it until there was not enough time fo r me to order the part before vacation. The short of it: if you live in Edmonton and own a Sprinter, choose Crosstown motors over Derrick Dodge for EVERYTHING.

The pump was a breeze to replace - siphoned out the reservoir, then just a clockwise twist and lift of the old pump, pulled hoses off, unscrewed locking electrical connector, and replaced. I tried to get the reservoir out to flush it - it almost went. Anyone done this? I noticed some crud in the latter siphoning, figured that would be good to keep out of the new pump!

Cheers,
Mark

Top Bottom