Annunciators/Shifting After Lightning Strike

Papa Don

Hi,

Want to see if any others in this forum have experienced problems with Sprinter 3500 after lightning strike nearby. My 2008 Dodge Sprinter 3500 is the chassis for my 2010 Fleetwood Pulse 24D. I recently had a direct hit by lightning at my house. The RV is under a pole barn about fifty feet from the house. The lightning strike fried most electronics in the house (all plugged in to 'good' surge protectors). The lighting strike also got a transformer about 200' from the house. I had just driven the RV 25 miles after getting the air bag recall accomplished and all was well. The RV was not plugged in.

After the lightning strike I had the following annunciations: check engine light, ABS, Traction (tire spinning icon), ESP and also the brake light was on. Parking brake was definitely not on. Drove the RV to see if I could get it to service shop, but found that it would not go out of first gear.

Generator will no longer start and the voltage showed 19.8 Volts, so pretty sure the coach part of the RV has electrical issues to.

Has anyone else had this experience or have had the same annunciations at the same time?

Will be checking replies back here or on my email address: doncolemanjr@gmail.com

dbuzz77

Dbuzz77
if it was mine i would check battery(ies) voltage and clear the codes with a scanner before i got too excited. a pulse like that could have brought in the codes but not broken anything

hopefully just a reset with a scanner, but might be another insurance claim. i would thoroughly test all functions of the vehicle.

having had 2 direct lightning strikes , one in 2006 and the other in 2012,
i can only suggest test everything out well in the house too. so many failures months after the event.

dynaco1

One of our neighbors' Toyotas took a direct lightning strike. Lots of illuminated trouble indicators...

After reading the Toyota warranty and their insurance policy, they decided not to divulge lightning strike. It was towed to dealership. Toyota bought-back their car after a few months of failed repairs including new wire harnesses, new computers, etc. It was still under the 36/36000 warranty period. Lemon law applied. Toyota tried to blame an aftermarket stereo amp but lost in arbitration.

Last edited:

Old Crows

Calypso 2014 View Profile
Well nutz! That's really too bad. Obviously, EMP damage (Electromagnetic Pulse) from the close in lightning strike. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_pulse

All those wires in the Sprinter's electrics (and in your house) work like antennas sucking up the energy and frying solid state components. Burns wire insulation and damn near anything electric or electronic nearby is toast. This is really ugly! Very ugly!

I'd contact your insurance company and have a competent inspector check every panel, outlet, wire and grounding points in your house. Sprinter is going to be more of a problem. 'fraid you are going to have to have it taken to a first class Benz store and have it checked & corrected. The RV 'house' also needs a good survey, obviously.

OTH, a friend's house/garage was struck (2x actually). The house had some wiring, electrical bits and grounds damaged. The Bimmer Z3 parked in the garage was toasted. No panel, no start, no electric windows, etc., etc.. It was repaired by insurance and is still running AFAIK. So maybe there's some hope.

(Reminds me of my previous life.... there's a great story involving EMP but I kannna tell it. No never! )

i have learned never to accept a inspectors / appraisers word for anything in a insurance claim.

things were crapping out for months after the strike, insurance reps saying, oh, it was old anyway, 5 year stuff is now old ?? guess i m a antique lol

switches, dimmers, motion lights, cfl bulbs at the time, the dishwasher, found the burn mark on pc board even the uv light on the fishpond blew up

then next spring pool pumps, pool heater control board.

tried adding the pool equipment, but ins co wanted to start another claim........

live and learn.

showkey

Not seen lightening on Sprinters........but.........have seen the effects on a dozen other cars or trucks. ( none were owned by me).
They are never warranty repairs and always an insurance claim.
If you where to look there are always tell tales on lightening strikes.

The damage can be minor to epic ..........with everything in between.

Papa Don

Just saw your post this morning and had made another post regarding scanner. I had same idea as my Garmin GPS is connected via Blue Tooth to the system. It can clear some codes. Can you recommend a good scanner that would possibly reset the codes?

Thanks!

Don Coleman

showkey

Any suggestions on scanner I should buy? See lots of opinions.

Thanks!

Don Coleman

Depends on budget and functions...........but many of us have the AUTEL 802 or other similar models from AUTEL. They are budget friendly and get the job done.

Top Bottom