Tensioner analysis in situ. Heavier steering.

Patrick of M

2005 T1N 2500 (NA spec)
I’m finding my steering a little heavier than usual. Plenty of ps fluid, belt looks good. So my thoughts are going to worn tensioner. THe van is in the middle of a trip so changing in a new tensioner etc is a bit i convenient. At idle it looks like the tensioner pulley is vibrating/dancing a bit. Can’t say if this is usual behaviour as I don’t remember observing it previously.
Fan and alt seems to be spinning fine.
Thoughts?

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Could also be a stuck alt clutch causing the flutter. Any sign of the tensioner not running square? They can deflect if the body is cracking.

Low tire pressure can cause heavy steering.

Is the belt very hot?

Patrick of M

2005 T1N 2500 (NA spec)
It was not the anything to do with the aux belt and associated tensioner etc... it was the steering shaft knuckle just above the rack and pinion. It was rusty and seizing. I found a thread here somewhere suggesting just that and after some agressive lubing I have decent lighter steering again. I kind of knew it wasn’t the P.S. pump, or the belt slipping as the resistance did not change with engine rpm, or even with what I was trying to do, high speed turn, stopped turn.
In the end I also got all the water pump /tensioner /pulleys stuff because I wanted to have decent used spares after the change out, and it’s good PM ( plus after being in service for over 25yrs, the water pump on my Volvo Amazon failed far from home, so I’m lacking faith in waterpumps right now).

Top Bottom