118" lift spacers?

TheMFVan

So I've heard on this forum (although I can't find the exact post again) that the reason 118" WB sprinters don't fit the same 245/75/16 wheels/tires is because they were not fitted with a 1" spacer in the front that the longer wheelbases came with. Is this true? I can't seem to find the part looking through the service manual, but if it is the case, shouldn't I be able to find the part in a catalogue or through the dealership to install on the 118" to regain that clearance?
Thanks in advance! :rad:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
I don't know about the "don't fit" (scrubbing may well happen) ... but i have heard of the spacer.

Lemme dig...

added: is it maybe item (14) below? 05139552AA (MB #A 901 322 00 84) and 05139554AA (MB #A 901 322 01 84)

FrontSuspend.png

--dick (someday may have to shift to 16 inch wheels)

Last edited:

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
The non-118 models have an extra metal section welded to the subframe at the front, and different springs (or axle pads) at the rear.

The best way in my opinion would be a lift kit from Vancompass. It will lift the front/rear by 2 inches. So the 118 in question would have an inch higher ride height than a 140/158, (not counting small differences in suspension and curb weight.

Otherwise you would need a front subframe from a longer sprinter, and a matching set of springs for the rear.

TheMFVan

So it's a welded on piece? Not something I could add myself? (without welding)

And yeah I'd love a lift kit from them, but I can't afford it considering its a third the price I paid for my sprinter :P

Is there a known measurement for the clearance between the front tires and the fender that would let someone know if their front transverse spring has any sagging issues?

Specifically, but not limited to my 06 2500 158" SHC with standard 225 75 16 tires.

Has anyone VC lifted the front only? The rear wheel well already has plenty of clearance. The front does not, thus my query.

My front clearance sitting pretty much level is 3". The rear clearance is 6 3/4". This poses a question I have been wondering about. Would adding bushings to lift the front transverse spring a touch be an alternative?

When my Goodyear silent armor kevlar belted tires wear out, I would like to go bigger to 265's. Another plus with lifting the front end is the ability to use the Fox struts, which I believe are only available with the 2" lift.

VC and Agile have given us a better choice than factory, and that they work together is commendable to the both of them. Good move on both of their parts.

Thanks to all here.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
The easy check is at the bump stop. If you have about 10mm (a fingers width) between the bump stop and the lower control arm, then your suspension isn't sacked out or overloaded.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
This only applies to the factory bump stops. The other method that is repeatable is to measure the exposed strut shaft, which is visible with the dust boot pulled down. I do not know that a typical length is for that measurement though.

Top Bottom