2005 sprinter crankshaft pulley fell off

Benji

Hey guys, I need a little insight. My vans broke down in Staten Island. I was paying a toll into Staten island and the battery light came on and I lost power steering .figured it was the idle tension pulley but when I look it was fine but notices the crank shaft pulley was gone and there was oil on the belt. I retraced my steps and found the crank pulley unharmed. Has this happened to anyone else? Is it held on by a bolt? I’m hoping the bolt backed out and didn’t shear ord. Does anyone know the bolt size? Am I screwed or is this something I can fix with the right tools and hardware
Any help is greatly appreciated thank you!

D

Deleted member 50714

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
The danger lies in the fact that the pulley also shares a key with the timing chain gear.

This has happened previously. An advanced search on this forum will find the threads probably.

Benji

Got the van towed to a shop/tow yard and they told me the front end need to be removed to replace the harmonic balancer. They quoted me $1400-1700 I spoke with the manager not the mechanic. It sounds steep but I wanted to get some opinions before I moved forward. I’m in New Jersey if that helps
Thanks in advanced

Benji

They also said the fan needed to be removed and there was some broken bolts that needed to be replaced

D

Deleted member 50714

Better be a shop specializing in Mercedes-Benz and German cars!!!! It's a Labor intensive repair, especially if broken bolts are involved. Broken bolt removal requires special tools and skills only developed after years of experience and even then successful removal, iffy.

If the shop screws-up bolt removal like snapping-off an EZ-out, costs can mushroom quickly. If you decide to use the shop, I would insist that you are allowed an opportunity to visually inspect all broken bolts as well as hole condition after removal. Have them thread a bolt in each hole.

Let me be clear, you are not requesting to stand there and watch the mechanic perform the work, you only want to see the broken bolts prior to removal and visually inspect the bolt holes after removal and prior to re-assembly. I have seen cut-down bolts expoxied in holes. If they won't accommodate you, find another shop.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Unpqmusfyx8

Last edited by a moderator:

lindenengineering

Got the van towed to a shop/tow yard and they told me the front end need to be removed to replace the harmonic balancer. They quoted me $1400-1700 I spoke with the manager not the mechanic. It sounds steep but I wanted to get some opinions before I moved forward. I’m in New Jersey if that helps
Thanks in advanced
Its a 6 hour job on average plus the materials.
The shop MUST have the holding tool to tighten up the crank bolt
If they wing it it will fall off again.
Job is basically remove the fan and cowl.
Tidy the job up and rebuild.
Done it so many times i can do it in my sleep.
Dennis.

Top Bottom