05 Sprinter won't shift from park

Old_haidouk

I have a 2005 Sprinter 3500 that I haven't started in a while. With a new battery it started right up and no check engine light. It won't shift from park. I did replace the brake sensor yesterday still nothing. Even weirder the pencil in the override shifter hole doesn't work either. I did order a new blue relay to replace the one under driver's seat. What else could it be? Really need the van this weekend.

Old_haidouk

autostaretx, thank you for the link and picture. I did remove the shifter and checked the cable. It does seem loose. I also removed the center console shroud along with the fuse block. Then I attempted to start the van applying manual pressure on the cable but forgot to plug the fuse block back in, now the van won't start. Hopefully I didn't mess something up.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
I have seen shifter modules fail internally, and not release the interlock. A scan of the gear selector module may reveal something.

Old_haidouk

All done phew. It looks like the ignition to Park cable was loose and/or the transmission link to the shifter had gotten stuck in time. Opened everything up sprayed some oil and electric cleaner on the contacts took the opportunity to fix the loose contact in my heater/ac pannel which only worked at times. It shifts rather hard but it shifts. It shifted very easy a couple of years back when I was driving it. Thank you!

Top Bottom