2018 is here and i missed a couple things

hi all,

missed a couple things, like the rear step bumper

and I am thinking I made a mistake getting the heated windshield, for some reason I thought the option was just heated at the wiper / bottom so the snow and ice would not pile up hopefully,

but seems to be the entire windshield. all the wires create an interesting view thru the windshield at times when driving.

I d say like looking thru a cheap pair of sunglasses look.

least got the factory trailer hitch thou

Wrinkledpants

2017 144WB 4x4
hi all,

missed a couple things, like the rear step bumper

and I am thinking I made a mistake getting the heated windshield, for some reason I thought the option was just heated at the wiper / bottom so the snow and ice would not pile up hopefully,

but seems to be the entire windshield. all the wires create an interesting view thru the windshield at times when driving.

I d say like looking thru a cheap pair of sunglasses look.

least got the factory trailer hitch thou
It took me awhile, but I got used to seeing through the heated windshield. I had a regret phase for awhile, but eventually stopped noticing it. It does come in handy quite a bit and helps keep the ice buildup off the wipers - which is nice.

bobloblaw

Ive got the heated windshield which is an option I probably wouldn't have ordered (we basically got the van off the lot). I'll say that after a while you dont notice the wires.. I dont anymore.

And, when it's snowing or icy, not having to scrape that windshield will be worth it.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
We bought our T1N off-the-lot ... and had the dealer add the step bumper and two rear grab handles as part of "dealer prep".
(we already knew that doing that doubled the cost of the options compared to ordering-with-build, but them's the breaks).

As Dodge/Freightliner/MB had it, the step bumper was incompatible with the trailer hitch (which we don't have).
BUT ... clever folks here on the forum figured out how to mount the hitch despite the existence of the step bumper.

For our wants/purposes, an in-hitch step would not be anywhere near as nice as the full-width step bumper.

--dick :2cents:

I have the factory hitch and added a rear step. Took a little figuring to make it work but it can be done.

I too have the heated windshield. Took a few days to get used to it but it doesn't bother me now

does the heated windshield stay on until either cycled off by driver or turning off the van ?

cant wait to see what that windshield costs after getting smashed

my 2015 144 was 505 bucks, but a standard windshield.

thanks all !

Llarry

Llamasine driver
Since you have the tow package, you could add a step that inserts into the hitch receiver. Not as wide as the factory step and can't be used when towing, but less expensive. :idunno:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
does the heated windshield stay on until either cycled off by driver or turning off the van ?
Although it's fed by a fuse that's hot all the time (i.e. not turned off by the key), the heated windshield itself is controlled by a relay that's (in turn) driven by the Body Control Module.
I have no idea what convinces the BCM to turn the heater on and off.... perhaps temperature?

HeatedWindshieldCirc.png

--dick
diagram from 3rd party 2007 schematics here: http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/07_Wiring-sprinter-2500.pdf

Akatdog

2006 3500 170
If you haven't done so yet check to make sure your insurance has windshield replacement coverage. Them there wires are pricey to replace for rock damage

just replaced windshield on the sl, 2400 something bucks, insurance deductible was $750.

safelite was 1600 something bucks, and require trip to dealer to reset sensors.

dealer was 2400

both less the 750

safelite uses PPG windshields, and came to find out so does the mb dealers now. no more mb glass

the new sl windshield has no marking on it what so ever of brand

If you haven't done so yet check to make sure your insurance has windshield replacement coverage. Them there wires are pricey to replace for rock damage

Top Bottom