PDA

View Full Version : Preemptive maintenance 2004 2500?

jimbobmw
06-17-2009, 01:41 AM
Has anyone done all of the maintenance items before they fail...resonator, injectors, egr, etc.? I have about 50K on the BRT (kids name...see movie "RV") . It would seem that replacing the injector seals now, while they are not having a problem, along with the resonator, would be a good idea. Opinions?:thinking:

Aqua Puttana
06-17-2009, 02:47 AM
Has anyone done all of the maintenance items before they fail...resonator, injectors, egr, etc.? I have about 50K on the BRT (kids name...see movie "RV") . It would seem that replacing the injector seals now, while they are not having a problem, along with the resonator, would be a good idea. Opinions?:thinking:

Maybe the resonator if you have a heavy RV......? Injectors get pretty expensive. EGR is pretty expensive. I've read where injector seals fail after being replaced new. Proper installation can be touchy.

Don't let the threads here throw you off. I went out and bought my used 2004 140 2500 with about 170,000 miles on the clock. Why not? It's a Mercedes AND it's a diesel...... right? 170,000 miles should be fine. Then I found this forum and the Yahoo forum. (In a previous thread someone else has said they did it this way also.) As I paged through the information I thought, "What the f*ck did I do?????". I love the van, but all these people have all these problems with their Sprinters.

I now have 191,000 miles on my Sprinter. It's been a very reliable 20,000 miles (knock/touch wood). I have no maintenance records, but there aren't a bunch of new looking parts under the hood. I did need to replace my water pump at 184,000 miles.

My recommendation is not to panic. We read about the problems in the forums, but I really do think that it is the exception, not the rule. There's a bunch of knowledgeable people here to help out if you need it. Learn to use the search function first.

This is my very subjective opinion. Hope this does some good. AP

spagthorpe
06-17-2009, 03:13 AM
The above is what I'm going with. 95K on my 3500 when I bought it. Did the basic checks, sludge, fan, called it good. I don't have records either, and I suspect that the previous owners did ZERO maintenance on it, though I hope they changed the oil. They definitely hadn't replaced the trans fluid, cabin filter, power steering fluid, etc.

In fact, I really should probably do the coolant, and a few other things myself, but if it all looks alright, I would think/hope it will be fine. I might send the next oil change to Blackstone just for piece of mind.

rlent
06-17-2009, 08:52 PM
Has anyone done all of the maintenance items before they fail...resonator, injectors, egr, etc.?
I replaced my turbo resonator ('06 2500) with the eliminator at fairly low mileage - just simply because I didn't want to deal with replacing it while I was under load.

I replaced the remaining four glow plugs after one failed - which took out one of the five circuits on the glow plug module (which I also replaced) when the glow plug failed at around 150K (?) miles or so ..... (actually replaced at around 165K (?) miles)

Other than that, it's been pretty much been fluids and filters, tires (123K), and front brakes (pads, rotors, wear sensors - once at 175K), front lower ball-joints at around 185K (should probably have been done at 150K), and shocks/struts all the way around (somewhere around 160K to 185K)

I have about 50K on the BRT (kids name...see movie "RV") . It would seem that replacing the injector seals now, while they are not having a problem, along with the resonator, would be a good idea. Opinions?:thinking:
Mine are checked regularly (under the engine cover) for evidence of leakage/failure .... still doing fine at 190K+ miles ...

rlent
06-17-2009, 08:54 PM
As I paged through the information I thought, "What the f*ck did I do?????". I love the van, but all these people have all these problems with their Sprinters.
:lol: