2018 or 2019 4x4 ???

WWWood

I have been getting ready to pull the trigger on a new 170 crew 4x4 for a while now, however with the 2019 redesign taking place I am reluctant to make a move now. On one side I would hate to spend all that money on a van I’ve been wanting for quite some time right now and then be disappointed that I did not wait for the 2019 version if it’s better. Would pretty much suck to be driving around in an outdated brand new vehicle. However let’s say I wait for the 2019 and it has things that are not better than the 2018, then I’m stuck trying to find the right used 2018.

From the limited information I've found online about the US release specs I find myself in a frustrating situation. The information on the drive train, ground clearance height, and 4x4 system is all hear say at this time, does anyone know when real information will be released and when the cutoff times are to order the last of the 2018’s?

If your looking for a 4x4 then the cut off is probably past. Unless you find a dealer who might have a stock order already in the system.

From what I know, and admittedly it is limited, the 2019 redesign is more of an interior redesign than anything else. More bells and whistles, new dash interface etc...

SOCAL2015

2019 4x4 will get the 7 speed and will be more efficient. Our 5 speed is quite old school. There is a debate on whether the 2019 4x4 will be raised or not compared to 2wd (current Generation is lifted about 4 inches to clear transfer case). Also rear air suspension looks like it will be a factory option. In all more than just an upgraded dash design and interface...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to know. Like I said, my knowledge on the 2019 is limited. I chose the 2018 for the simple reason all the bugs have been worked out. I don't need the latest and greatest. Tried and true works for me.

WWWood

The cut off to order a new 2018 to spec has passed. Unless there is a dealership spec build already in the pipeline that fits my needs, it looks like I’m screwed.

However in the brief conversation I had with a dealer today it was mentioned that I could purchase a 7 year 175k factory warranty on a 2018. That seems like one hell of a nice warranty option, makes me think these units are pretty trouble free?

Does that warranty option sound correct to anyone hear or was this poor information?

I wouldn't say trouble free but most people seem to have minimal issues. There are also those that have nothing but headaches but I suppose thats true with just about any vehicle sold. It also really depends on the skill level of the mechanic is that you take it to as to how well they are able to diagnose the issue(s).

I have read that most of the expensive "issues" with these vans seem to start around 150k milage mark so the 175k warranty would be what just past that mark so maybe good, maybe bad. Again, its a matter of when things start going wrong. Some people on here post they have over 250k on there van with nothing but normal maintenance items. When I bought my 2018 MB was offering a free 5 year 100k extended warranty. Its a personal preference if you want to buy one. These warranties still have a lot of exclusions so read them carefully.

rdtompki

We just bought a 2017 Sprinter Sportsmobile. While the infotainment system is upgraded to a Kenwood, the dash is pretty old school, maybe not 20 years old, but certainly 10+. You get used to it. My wife was shocked to see buttons on the doors; she couldn't figure out how to get out of the sliding door.

But, It's bug free as they say. I just wish the instrumentation was more readable. The turn signal blinkers, for example, are tiny and dim; what's up with that? And why bother with a digital speed readout that's too small to use? Doesn't have any effect on the usability of the vehicle.

WWWood

Is there a way to search a national database to see what dealers have sitting on their lots and what they have on order?

There seems to be a max distance of 300 miles from the ones I have seen.

No way to check whats on order as far as I know except to contact the dealer. The only way to check dealer stock is from MB web site by picking different zip codes and such. Not the most user friendly but it works. Other than that your best bet is a dealer willing to search for you. They may have access to a more comprehensive site.

I went with ordering a 2018 4x2 144 in November. It arrived at just dealer 3 weeks ago, and just now in my driveway tuesday.

he told me all along, 5 to 6 months, and If I wait for a 2019 he estimated November / December at best.

and honestly, until I see the new dash layout first hand, of which I am not crazy about.

so my 2018 might just be my last van.
seems to far a reach to the right .

production is short for 2018 units. considering they just started coming in in last 8 weeks

Top Bottom