Alternator size

Neil2

Neil2
Hey volks,

I asked a shop about installing an Espar but don't really want to install a solar system to supply the DCv to source the Espar's power. My idea is to have the engine charge an aux battery which in turn would supply the Espar with DCv. That work?:hmmm:

The shop owner wants to know my alternator size. Anyone know? :thinking: I can supply my VIN if that helps and you pmail me.

Please/thanks!

rlent

I asked a shop about installing an Espar but don't really want to install a solar system to supply the DCv to source the Espar's power. My idea is to have the engine charge an aux battery which in turn would supply the Espar with DCv. That work?:hmmm:
That how it works in mine ('06 T1N) ... dunno about the size of your alternator.

FWIW, the Espar is very efficient and doesn't draw a whole lot of juice .... I ran mine the first winter ('07/'08) off the starting battery ... and I was living in the truck while I was out on the road (for 3 to 5 weeks at a time) ... and never had a problem with the vehicle not wanting to start.

Running it off an aux battery is the correct way to go tho' ....

d_bertko

The espar will happily run off one battery if driven daily. You can calculate ah consumption from the espar specs with a duty cycle that reflects how cold and how insulated you are. Mine runs no more than a third of the time in pretty cold conditions.

But you might want to run other things off of your "house" bank.

I upgraded to a 150a alternator and that has had no problem maintaining 4 house batteries. Mine draw about 50 ah a day in normal camping use. The 150a Bosch alternator does not mind the increased duty cycle from a couple of days parked and consuming 200 ah.

It's a PITA to install an iso/combiner, fuses, panels, inverter/charger circuitry, et al. You might consider whether more capability makes sense.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Your 2008 Sprinter should have either a 180 Amp or 220 Amp, depending on the options ordered. The contractor package came with the 220 Amp alternator.

Chris' info is authoritative, but if you're curious or in a hurry this posting contains PDF attachments describing all the options that may or may not be present on your NCV3.

-Jon

SPRINTERUK

HERE TO HELP
hi neil
looking at your vehicle data card you have fitted a 14v-220amp alternator
battery 12v-100amp
hope this helps
regards
chris

Top Bottom