sprinter 616 starting and stopping.

embalmer1andy

hi everyone. new to this but i hope you can help.

i have a mercedes sprinter 616 2002 tipper.it has a tachograph fitted so because i don`t drive it from one month to another,i had a dead man fitted to the passenger wing so i can turn all the power off and the tacho don`t run the battery down in between the times i don`t drive it.
ok,here is what happened,about 6 weeks ago,i turned the dead man switch off first and then went round and turned the ignition off.i always turned the ignition off first and then the dead man after.
next day,i started the van,it started and then died after a few seconds.it will carry on doing this all day long.start stop.
would turning the dead man switch off first and then the ignition off done some sort of damage.
i have had a few mechanics come out and they dont know what is wrong.
only fault code is low voltage injector 1.
please help.

andy

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
Turning the deadman switch off first would cause malfunction as the shutdown procedure isn't activated by the ignition switch. I suggest resetting the ECU by disconnecting the battery cables for 30 min, and reconnecting with ignition off and see if that helps. If you have a radio you'll need the battery code.
WHAT IS A 616 ?

embalmer1andy

Thank you for getting back to me.

I have disconnected the battery several times and left it for days on ends.

it is a mercedes sprinter 616 tipper. it has a 2.7 tdi engine in it.

i have checked all the wiring,albeit i am not a electrician.it all looks ok.

is there any chance it could be the Ecu.i have taken that off and had a quick look and i can see no shorting or black marks on it.

i will say this,when i did turn the dead man switch off,the engine carried on running until i came round and turned the ignition off.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
What is the code you had, the exact code (with subcode if possible). You have the OM612 engine, if the wiring to any of the injectors is interrupted (loose connector, short in the harness) the engine will stop immediately. The main harness has history of chafing where it runs near the fuel filter (right side of engine compartment as you look in).

It could be the ECU, but I would suspect the Fuse Block under the dash first. Give it a tap when the engine is running. Give the two relays at the bottom a slight wiggle with the engine running. Does it cut-out?

Do the same with the main harness bundle on the engine, especially near the head where it runs to the injectors. A good wiggle and pull may reveal some internal/external damage.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
I believe that the engine starting and only running for a few seconds is a sign of an immobiliser fault.
It depends on whether or not you have remote central locking as to whether or not the engine will actually even run.

Have you scanned your ECU for fault codes and live data as you try to start it ?

embalmer1andy

What is the code you had, the exact code (with subcode if possible). You have the OM612 engine, if the wiring to any of the injectors is interrupted (loose connector, short in the harness) the engine will stop immediately. The main harness has history of chafing where it runs near the fuel filter (right side of engine compartment as you look in).

It could be the ECU, but I would suspect the Fuse Block under the dash first. Give it a tap when the engine is running. Give the two relays at the bottom a slight wiggle with the engine running. Does it cut-out?

Do the same with the main harness bundle on the engine, especially near the head where it runs to the injectors. A good wiggle and pull may reveal some internal/external damage.
hiya,thank you so much for trying to help.i am at my wits end with This.the van hasn`t moved in 2 months.
Ok,i have checked all the wiring very thoroughly and it all seems in good condition.i bought a new fuse board under the steering wheel.
the problem i have is that i live in the middle of the country and getting someone out here to have a look in near on impossible.they want me to get the van into there garage so they can work on it there,problem is the van is in the middle of my paddock with the air brakes down and we cant move it.
i personally don`t think there is a lot wrong with it,it is just finding the right mechanic who knows what he is doing.
it has been on a diagonistic machine about a month ago but all he said was low voltage number 1 injector.
the van will start up every time but will only run for a few seconds.i have done everything you suggested and it is still the same

embalmer1andy

I believe that the engine starting and only running for a few seconds is a sign of an immobiliser fault.
It depends on whether or not you have remote central locking as to whether or not the engine will actually even run.

Have you scanned your ECU for fault codes and live data as you try to start it ?
hiya and thank you for your help.

i don`t think my van has central locking,in fact,i don`t think i have ever locked it.

i did have the van scanned about a month ago but all it came up with was low voltage,injector 1.
i have bought a new fuse board,checked all the wiring.
took the drivers seat off and checked the relays,took the ecu off and had a quick look but didn`t know what i am looking for,

i will try and do what you suggested and scan it as it trys to start.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Do you have a second key to try ?

Look at the security ECU for the ‘handshake’ while you are cranking.

Keith.

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
So the 1st cylinder isn't getting proper voltage to the injector causes the shutdown. Either the relay or the wiring to #1 is bad, or the injector is bad, but most commonly wires gets pinched where it meets engine cover
I've never seen a Sprinter with a 6000Kg GVWR or 13,000 lb weight capacity , could you add a pic for us?

Last edited:

embalmer1andy

Do you have a second key to try ?

Look at the security ECU for the ‘handshake’ while you are cranking.

Keith.
Hiya keith.

yes i have bought a second key.
After everything that has been said,i think it is either the immobilizer or the ecu,or a faulty injector. so what i am going to do is loan a ecu from a company.it is a plug and play and it will bypass the immobilizer. If the van starts then i will buy the ecu for £250 or if it doesn't,i just pay the £90.at least,that way,it will eliminate the ecu and the immobilizer.
in the mean time,i will try and get somebody out with one of those diagnostic machines and write the codes down.
what do you think.
Andy

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
I believe you would see a "start error" message on the dash display if the immobilizer handshake had failed?

A test ECU with the SKREEM/immobilizer function removed can't hurt anything. A good scanner (possibly even the autel MD802) should be able to connect to the ECM, cluster/ or SKREEM module. You can then view the live data and look for the handshake and start/run authorization.

It is hard to tell without looking at the actual vehicle, but what you describe sounds like a intermittent harness problem, or a power supply failure to the ECM? Specific codes (with the subcode, such as P1234-1 (subcode 1)) would be helpful. As mentioned, if the wiring to any of the injectors gets interrupted, even for a second, the ECM will shut the engine down immediately.

embalmer1andy

So the 1st cylinder isn't getting proper voltage to the injector causes the shutdown. Either the relay or the wiring to #1 is bad, or the injector is bad, but most commonly wires gets pinched where it meets engine cover
I've never seen a Sprinter with a 6000Kg GVWR or 13,000 lb weight capacity , could you add a pic for us?
Hi and thanks for your help.

it did come up with low voltage,cylinder 1.i had a auto electrician out last week and he spent 2 hours looking at it.i even took the top cover off and checked the wiring loom that feeds the injectors,all ok.
so,if let me get this clear,if 1 injector is faulty,it will shut the other injectors down and stop the engine.

i have ordered a plug and play ecu.if that don`t work,i am going to get the injector done.
also got someone coming out to do another diagnostic on it.
its got air brakes so i cant move it.
it is definitely a 6000kg truck,i have hopefully attached 3 pics i have just taken for you.
it is called a mercedes sprinter 616 dump truck.

it uploaded the pics but then come back and said they were too big and i dont know how to make them smaller.i can email them to you or i will try and make them smaller when i get home from work.

thanks for all your help.

owner

Oz '03 316CDI LWB ex-Ambo Patient Transport
Are your getting "START ERROR" in the dashboard LCD display when it shuts down? You will get that message if its a SKREEM/KEY fault.

If not then look at the ECU connector for the injectors, its the plug with the fat wires. Make sure all the terminals are clean and clamp properly to clean ECU pins.

If thats ok then it could be a bad crank sensor I guess.

We get the 616 here in Australia as well, particularly common is the widebody mini bus version.
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...GE7s3bAhUBfrwKHcQ3BvkQsAQIJg&biw=1533&bih=798

Heres a dumptruck version I found on the web...
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/35/43/9d/35439db105e86b0092dfb6bbaf7f32ec.jpg

Last edited:

so,if let me get this clear,if 1 any injector is faulty,it will shut the other injectors down and stop the engine.

That is 100% true for the OM612 Sprinter engine.

Another direction.
Have you checked for air bubbles in the clear fuel line near the fuel filter?
Not a diagnosis, just something to consider/check.

vic

embalmer1andy

That is 100% true for the OM612 Sprinter engine.

Another direction.
Have you checked for air bubbles in the clear fuel line near the fuel filter?
Not a diagnosis, just something to consider/check

hi vic. thanks for your help.i don`t know what i would do without you guys.

i have checked and no air bubbles anywhere.

could it be the injector itself that is faulty.would it show low voltage no 1 injector or would it be a external electrical fault.
i,ll tell you what i did do.i sprayed some easy start in the air filter when starting up and it didnt make any difference,the engine started as normal and cut out after a few seconds even though i carried on spraying the easy start.

i only bought the easy start cause i thought it might be a diesel problem.

embalmer1andy

Are your getting "START ERROR" in the dashboard LCD display when it shuts down? You will get that message if its a SKREEM/KEY fault.

If not then look at the ECU connector for the injectors, its the plug with the fat wires. Make sure all the terminals are clean and clamp properly to clean ECU pins.

If thats ok then it could be a bad crank sensor I guess.

We get the 616 here in Australia as well, particularly common is the widebody mini bus version.
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...GE7s3bAhUBfrwKHcQ3BvkQsAQIJg&biw=1533&bih=798

Heres a dumptruck version I found on the web...
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/35/43/9d/35439db105e86b0092dfb6bbaf7f32ec.jpg
checked the wires and pins on the ecu,all ok.

although the van only starts for a few seconds,all the lights do go out apart from brake and parking lights.

if the injector itself is faulty,would it come up with this low voltage code.

Top Bottom