PDA

View Full Version : glow plug replacement

jerms
06-05-2018, 09:13 PM
hey guys... another noob question.... i've got a shop here telling me they need to remove the intake manifold to remove the glow plugs.... i've had these changed before but no one has said they needed to charge 8 hours of work to remove the intake manifold to get at the glow plugs... what do you experts think??

lindenengineering
06-05-2018, 10:33 PM
On a Sprinter you don't!
Dennis

DesertAdventures
06-05-2018, 10:38 PM
I think the shop just did you a favor to tell you to RUN! not walk away with above statement!

lindenengineering
06-06-2018, 04:12 AM
Well if it was a 2002 or 2003 T1N Sprinter I could understand in the instant uninformed evaluation that you would need to remove the manifold to gain access to the glows.
This shows unfamiliarity with the vehicle or someone is taking advantage of you!
Its best to decline the service.
Dennis

Aqua Puttana
06-06-2018, 12:10 PM
... what do you experts think??

For this particular question the model year of your Sprinter doesn't affct the answer, but often it does.

Please include model year in your questions.

20170727 Edit:Add your vehicle info to all your posts automatically!!!!!It will help you to get answers. Thank you.

The most direct method is probably in your "Details".
In the Blue bar above click "Quick Links".
Scroll down to the "Custom User Title" box.
Click in that box and type in at least your Sprinter MY (Model Year).
Scroll down to the "Save Changes" box. Click on that and you are done.
Whatever you enter will be displayed at the bottom of your member icon.

The other place is in your "Signature".
In the Blue bar above click "Quick Links".
Select "Edit Signature".
Scroll down to the text box which looks like what you use to add a post to the forum. Type in at least your Sprinter MY (Model Year).
Scroll down to "Preview Signature". If the preview looks like what you want, scroll down to "Save Signature", click on that and you're done.
Whatever you enter will be displayed at the bottom of every one of your posts.
(If signatures don't display go back to "Quick Links" and "Edit Options" to allow signature display.)

vic

jerms
06-06-2018, 08:53 PM
oops sorry 2003 2500

jerms
06-06-2018, 08:54 PM
thanks for the info guys!!

Patrick of M
06-09-2018, 10:14 AM
To be clear, you need a shop very familiar with removing glow plugs from this type of engine, a regular diesel shop or other without experience removing these type of glow plugs will probably break some off in the head which = $$$. I have removed glow plugs from other engines easily, carelessly and without breakage. If I had approached my sprinter engine like that I would have snapped at least 2 of them.

Ventucky805
04-30-2019, 07:35 PM
2002 2500 om612
When replacing glow plugs, do I have to take off the intake manifold? If not, is there a write up with someone who has done this job on a om612 engine? I've been looking for ages.
Thanks.

lindenengineering
04-30-2019, 08:13 PM
2002 2500 om612
When replacing glow plugs, do I have to take off the intake manifold? If not, is there a write up with someone who has done this job on a om612 engine? I've been looking for ages.
Thanks.

In short No to the manifold removal,
I have no write up personally to remove them, simply take a 10 mm deep socket to remove them preferably when the engine is hot .However there are scores of contributors who have changed them out with success and then some who equally report mechanical disasters resulting from inexperience and have reported the outcome on forum posts over many years

Now I do this almost everyday with customer's' Sprinters and about 50% of the work is due to DIY customers who have busted the glow plug off in the head which is very easy to do. So you should bear this in mind before you have a bash at it.
Boiled down its all about techniques and tools!
When we break one it a foregone work decision or conclusion , so its a special tool job which costs $450 to cut it out without wrecking the head which is expensive ! So bear that in mind.
Dennis

Nautamaran
04-30-2019, 10:33 PM
My favourite primer for taking on this task:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNwi--n0h9Q