PDA

View Full Version : black bumpers and fender trim

markxengineering
06-01-2018, 11:28 PM
I'm getting the van re-sprayed with white Imron in a couple weeks ($600 for the paint and another $1200 labor to sand and spray here in Portland, ME), with me doing the body work and all trim removal first. No roof. Most places around here would not consider the job due to the size, busy schedules, or dealing with someone else's prep work.

While I'm at it, I'd like to improve the look of the trim. I searched and read a few threads about people restoring or painting the faded grey pieces, and I like the look of darker grey or black.
https://i.imgur.com/57K8Lt0.png

This one was Walmart bedliner put on by another member who said it was still good after 10K miles
https://i.imgur.com/5a1D3gP.png

Anyone have any more pictures, or comments on long term durability/process used for bumper restoration? Everything looks nice the day it's painted/waxed/whatever, but I couldn't find anyone reporting back after a few years.

travelbuds@verizon.net
06-07-2018, 01:10 PM
I'm in the same boat, just finishing up the paint job and putting back all the trim. I used a heat gun on the wheel well trim and it did bring back a lot of the darker gray, I didn't get to work on the bumpers. I think the problem with sprinters is the texture on the trim and bumpers, lots of little bumps so you cannot just rough sand the surface and repaint.

markxengineering
06-07-2018, 01:37 PM
I bought the duplicolor black bumper system (a cleaner then paint meant for plastic). It had decent amazon reviews, so hopefully it sticks. If not, I'll buy new factory parts but for $80 I decided to try this first! I wonder how long the heat gun improvement will last vs. the spraypaint, I have a feeling both will need touch up regularly
'

Llarry
06-07-2018, 07:21 PM
My plastic pieces were painted 14 years ago -- along with the lower body. They've held up well.

The two-tone look is expensive, though: 2K back then.

markxengineering
06-08-2018, 07:16 AM
expensive, but much more interesting than another boring white sprinter :thumbup: