Sliding Motorbike Rack for Tow Hitch?

Simondhartha

Hello everyone
I have seen a Motorbike Rack, resting on the tow hitch that can slide to the left while loaded, so the right van door can be opened.
Does anyone know of a product like this?

Redpillar

I have not seen one but I have seen a home built one that hinged outwards from one end to clear the tailgate of a truck. That was for a dirt bike so good for about 300 lbs of bike.

I designed an off road worthy moto rack for my Ford 4 wheel drive van years ago and still have it around for sale. It is steel. $200 as is.

I carried a Honda 250 everywhere around Baja and it never failed. It has a swing out feature that lets the rear of the van be accessed without unloading. It requires two receivers welded to the vehicle outside of the main center tow hitch for support. The left side of the rack is triangulated steel tubing supporting the swing out feature without having to unload the moto. I have a loading ramp that hooks onto the racks base. I added a center vertical steel tube with a u-clamp and bolt that wraps around the frame of the moto so there is no rocking when bouncing around off road. When locking the swing out steel tire channel back onto the rack, a large 1" bolt holds everything securely for the road. One other feature is when the two side tongues from the rack go into the receivers, I have those tongues ? angled up 6" for additional ground clearance hanging off the back end.

This may demand a dually for the weight, but if it could be made out of aluminum, maybe a 2500 could work. Pictures are worth a thousand words, but I will have to leave that for our imaginations, unless you know someone in my area of north coast San Diego county that could send you some photos for you. You can design your own version to suit your needs. I did.

Sorry, I cannot post photos. Dinosaur technology still in place. Thanks to all here.

Simondhartha

Thanks, that sounds interesting. But you are right, one needs pictures to really understand you construction. Would be cool if you could somehow get pics uploaded here.

Top Bottom