Burning Man 2018

HarryN

Just starting to think about this - no plans so far.

Unlikely to go, but we usually get some last minute calls from RV owners with electrical problems.

Anyone going?

Harry

HarryN

Haven't ever gone. Considered going when it was a much smaller event - now - might exceed my ability to be around crowds.

My first exposure to it was at a fabrication shop in Berkeley - asked what all the parade / stature sort of stuff was.

aksotar

2017 4x4 144 Cargo
I’ve done 7 Burns, my last was 2016, around 75,000 there.. I did 6 in a row from 2006 to 2011 and watched it grow..
cell service, pay to play Camps (on a new and different level) have changed it... I’ve always gone in early to help set up Camp (Barbie Death Camp and Wine Bistro) and enjoyed the camaraderie of the Burners truly building the City, in 2011 I started my own placed Camp, The Spenard Bar which was the Alaska Camp...
I’d go again, early to help set up and leave by Weds-Thurs, before the frat boys type mentality types arrive for Burn Weekend..
the art is utterly amazing, the Camps incredibly varied... and always the Dust....
it’s not for everyone and it will leave you changed..
my good Dust Sister, Lost Girl will have her ashes placed in the Temple this year..
safety third !!

Have had the pleasure to experience 5 Burns with early access on 3 of them and have friends with a nearby hot spring that with an Alfa wifi signal booster can pick up a signal from BM miles away to balance work w play. Last 2 burns left early to avoid exodus mayhem etc. of almost 50k people and instead wen't kite surfing at Pyramid lake in a stiff breeze. Will likely return someday but first would rather be where Jen and Jonathan are now soaking in a hot spring in New Zealand!

HarryN

I think some of the early BMs were in a more comfortable location and I considered going back then.

The dust aspect is - interesting.

I have been asked to help with the electrical on a small project and am currently thinking through how to keep electronics and dust separated. Playa dust is non trivial. :lol:

Reading and watching videos on how others have dealt with it.

SprinterSnale

'05 T1N 3500 - NorCalSprinterCampout
I went 3 times in the '00s, then 2015 in the Sprinter. A year known as Dustacolyps. It took a week to get 90% of the dust out, another year for the 8% and 2% is permanently embedded in the van. I am reminded of this when turning on the AC or mopping out the cab. Old playa dust has a unique smell.
Don't let the dust stop you from a bucket list experience. You will never experience anything like it. Extreme awesome moments, extreme conditions, extreme highs and lows all to be recollected fondly in retrospect...(like the time I had a drum off against a flame throwing van with four tuned vertical burners blasting 10 yards in to the night sky...)
I won't be going back soon, but am considering Bonneville Speed Week for a lake bed romp.

My favorite art car has a bumper sticker: "My vacation is your worst nightmare"

aksotar

2017 4x4 144 Cargo
it’s only been in 3 locations, moved from SF to Nv in 90.. on the Playa since the late 90’s
the Dust us more like talcum powder, sometimes a bit gritty and it never goes away !!

Last edited:
.............how to keep electronics and dust separated.
If camp can get you in w/ early access you will likely encounter an amazing and diverse community then peacefully exit before the masses arrive. Playa dust finds it's way into everything and likes to stick around in stuff for years after... a strong leaf blower does help.

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
I'm figuring I should be able to get my 42' Class A in there and can just run the generator and A/C 24/7 to help with the dust (and keep the side-by-side fridge powered up.) I will probably be inside reading much of the time but will go out every once in a while to look at the strange people.

Paul_E_D

My van had to belong to a burner. It still has a significant amount of talcum like dust in every crevice 5 years later. I think it has prevented rust here in NE. Hahaaa

aksotar

2017 4x4 144 Cargo
I'm figuring I should be able to get my 42' Class A in there and can just run the generator and A/C 24/7 to help with the dust (and keep the side-by-side fridge powered up.) I will probably be inside reading much of the time but will go out every once in a while to look at the strange people.
why go if you’re wanting to stay inside ?? there are lots of pics and vids online if all you want to do is look..... $500 to sit inside for a week and watch others having fun ?!?! it’s not free nor cheap to go... tickets are VERY difficult to get, there is a lottery you must enter for a CHANCE to get a ticket...
the interactions with others is what Burningman is all about...

Last edited:

aksotar

2017 4x4 144 Cargo
crazy Smiller... LOL !! stop by my Camp for a shady spot to relax and a Duck Fart and some smoked Salmon ! (it’s an Ak drink, also my Camp drink)

SprinterSnale

'05 T1N 3500 - NorCalSprinterCampout
:lol:

First two times in a tent, 3rd time in a Toyota camper shell. I was Livin' large in the T1 - (according to my camp of Playatech Geodomes and PVC Ling-toos)...but not relative to the class A's and Sherpa camps out there now.
It is ever changing, my first camp used to talk of the good old days when gun fire, un-decorated go-karts, and no camping restrictions ruled.

vanski

If it’s winter, I’m probably skiing..
only problem in going to burning man with a sprinter camper build is people know you know how to fix @#$@! all of a sudden you're the electrician, the bike mechanic, the plumber, the carpenter everyone is seeking in your block and beyond. my lady has a couple tickets, again, for this year, but i really want to sit this one out.

but.. i'm collecting random sprinter parts for a 'sprinter man' art installation. so far, to name a few items, i have (all t1n take-offs of course):

- numerous torn arm wrests (damn puppies) should make great arms/legs
- hp fuel pumps. cool eye piece if you ask me
- various sensors
- ac lines. cleopatra anyone??
- dodge hub caps
- serp belts
- a couple viscous clutch/fan assemblies (perhaps spinning mammory glands?)
- belt tensioners
- an 02 sensor that's actually good (might want to hold onto this one)
- some bad injectors (fingers maybe?)
- bad head (lol)
- cracked valve cover (hmm, torso perhaps?)
- some bad turbo actuators
- lots of other stuff

Last edited:

white whale

On he real list + bucket .... for the re-sale option. Cool to see this thread. Nothing so far for me. And might have to pass if I do get the email message as I am in limbo- as of today- with the big tranny decision - fix or not to fix. Had big plans to bring the whale to the beach. Like the sprinter art install idea.

Did have a fear of going and having a no start issue to deal with at exit time.
4-5+ days in the elements , what would be a good list of things to do to make the above less likely? What is the sprinter count % in comparison to the competition at the event?

Davydd

There was a Sprinter van built solely for going to Burning Man with 800ah of lithium batteries and 1250 watts of solar panels called Solar Womp custom built by Advanced RV. It was just recently sold after I think after three Burning Man's and the owner's have gone onto new traveling adventures.

ranchworld

'06 158 2500 Passenger
I have been 9 times. The first time was 1990. That was the first year out in the desert. Maybe 75 people. Second time was in 1991, there were 200 plus people. Last time was 2007, 50,000 people. I am making noises about going again, bringing my girl to kidsville. Every year is different. If you have the chance, go.

Center camp 1990. That Ryder moving van is the only one at the event, it brought up the Man. The orange and white parachute is center camp! I'm in the right, that's my buddy John Krantz on the left.
FH000065.jpg

Etzu

I usually go to playa on two wheels. I do this for a variety of reasons.

No one asks me to carry their stuff.
No one asks me for a ride.
I have my own (solo or one lucky guest) transportation post playa in Reno during cleanup.
There are no lines for motorcycles coming in or during exodus.

That last one is great for the times I show up on game night, but I'm usually there a week early and stay a few days late for breakdown.

Plus I use the bike on playa as my personal vehicle to get around.

Has anyone had an issue ever having an MC on a hitch carrier or in a toy hauler coming onto playa?

Top Bottom