Coolant level icon intermittently lighting in 2014 4cyl

Inertiaman

The coolant level warning light has been occasionally lighting up on my dash. I start the engine, all the warning lights briefly light up (as usual) and then the coolant level low indicator lights up. If I then turn of the engine, and start it again, the lamp does not light.

The first instance of this was in January during some very cold temps while driving through Iowa (-25F). It did it every 8 or 10th start. Once I was in warmer temps in TX, the behavior stopped. Then in March it returned again, in modest temps (like 40F). It now seems to do it every 12 or 15th start or so. In all cases, the light doesn't illuminate if I turn off and restart the engine.

Coolant levels all look fine in expansion reservoir.

Any ideas on what I should check?

manwithgun

Unknown member
All diesel NCV3 engines use the same spherical coolant tank, but the “sensor” is different for 2010+. There’s a float in the tank that is detected by the sensor. You might try checking the wire connector/plug at the sensor. If the problem returns, maybe change the sensor? The coolant is not disturbed when changing the sensor. I had to eventually change the tank as my problem was in the actual float (2007).

http://europarts-sd.com/coolantlevelsensor2007-2008.asp

irvingj

2015 RT SS Agile (3.0L)
My 2005 Jetta TDI wagon also does that-- only when cold. First time it happened it scared the %$#% out of me, as the warning light is the same one used for overheating and the accompanying "tone" -- a very loud one-- really gets your attention.

Tried adding coolant, didn't really help. My solution now is to run it for a few minutes to warm it up a bit, shut it off, then re-start. Light (and beep) does not come back on. Seems like the cut-off for my VW is coolant temps of 36-38F: above that, no light, no problem; below that... cover your ears!

Maybe German for "COLD"?? Something about their overheat/fluid level sensor system? Have no idea. Interesting that your Sprinter acts in a similar fashion.

Last edited:

Coolant levels all look fine in expansion reservoir.

Any ideas on what I should check?
First I would try adding a bit of proper coolant. You may be right on the cusp of the sensor level.

If that doesn't help more sophisticated troubleshooting may be needed.

vic

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
First I would try adding a bit of proper coolant. You may be right on the cusp of the sensor level.

If that doesn't help more sophisticated troubleshooting may be needed.

vic
Good point Vic,

Antifreeze has a density of around 1.13 when diluted 50:50 compared to neat water and the float will have been engineered to float at this concentration.

If your strength is below 50:50 then the float will possibly struggle to float resulting in your light coming on.

First test the strength of your coolant and if necessary drain a small quantity (a litre or quart maybe) and top up with neat coolant.

Keith. (Former cooling system development engineer in the UK).

Last edited:

sailquik

Keith,
Hmmmm.... interesting use of the word "neat".
I know what you mean....undiluted full strength coolant..right?
I can just picture someone in the USA going into an auto parts store and asking if they
have any of the new really "NEAT" coolant for Sprinters.
That would be cool to watch on a video.
Just us crazy Yanks that don't understand the Kings English.
Roger

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
Keith,
Hmmmm.... interesting use of the word "neat".
I know what you mean....undiluted full strength coolant..right?
I can just picture someone in the USA going into an auto parts store and asking if they
have any of the new really "NEAT" coolant for Sprinters.
That would be cool to watch on a video.
Just us crazy Yanks that don't understand the Kings English.
Roger
I have always used "Neat" when asking for my Irish whiskey undiluted by either water or ice.
In the last decade or so, I have found that the term in no longer common.
That is the way of our language.

Top Bottom