Axle Droning Noise

Funnyspruce

Hey Guys,

I recently took delivery of my 2018 sprinter 3500 rwd. When driving the van, I notice a loud droning (low pitched hum) noise which seems to be coming from the rear axle. This happens when applying slight acceleration and most often around 1800-2000 rpm, (50mph). In some instances it can be so loud that you cannot have a conversation in the vehicle. It sounds very different from the turbo, it’s a much more deeper and louder hum and seems to be coming from the rear.

Its interesting to note that when the rear is loaded up with weight, the noise is reduced or doesn't even appear at all.

Have you guys heard of this before? Do you think it’s normal during the breaking in period (my van has the optional suspension reinforcement)

Thanks for your help.

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
Someone else on here reported similar symptoms with a brand new 2018.
Their final drive had water in it.
Please report back. My 18 arrives in two weeks.

cvo

Hey Guys,

I recently took delivery of my 2018 sprinter 3500 rwd. When driving the van, I notice a loud droning (low pitched hum) noise which seems to be coming from the rear axle. This happens when applying slight acceleration and most often around 1800-2000 rpm, (50mph). In some instances it can be so loud that you cannot have a conversation in the vehicle. It sounds very different from the turbo, it’s a much more deeper and louder hum and seems to be coming from the rear.

Its interesting to note that when the rear is loaded up with weight, the noise is reduced or doesn't even appear at all.

Have you guys heard of this before? Do you think it’s normal during the breaking in period (my van has the optional suspension reinforcement)

Thanks for your help.
Have them check the rear end fluid for water, my 2018 had water in it.

D

Deleted member 50714

In spite of it being under warranty, I would personally check the differential oil and if there's water, I would have that sucker flatbeded back to the dealer post haste!

98Firebird

Could be an issue with the rear diff. Could also be the humming/droning noise Mercedes has yet to come out with a straightforward remedy other than starting a technical case and throwing parts at it. The reason the noise goes away/decreases when the rear is loaded up is because by adding all the weight you are essentially changing the mass in the rear and also are breaking up the soundwaves which changes a few things and decreases the perceived level of the noise. Interested to see what your dealer says.

D

Deleted member 50714

Could be an issue with the rear diff. Could also be the humming/droning noise Mercedes has yet to come out with a straightforward remedy other than starting a technical case and throwing parts at it. The reason the noise goes away/decreases when the rear is loaded up is because by adding all the weight you are essentially changing the mass in the rear and also are breaking up the soundwaves which changes a few things and decreases the perceived level of the noise. Interested to see what your dealer says.
I think I read something from Mercedes about it. Does anyone have and post the document again?

eralimited57

2008 Sprinter 2500 170 Extended High Top 3.0L CRD
I have the drone noise on my 08 NCV3 2500 lwb high top.

Took it to Mercedes of Plano in Texas and had the master MB tech drive it. He said that all the ones he has ever driven make this noise.

Mine is very faint and you have to listen very closely to notice it but it is there on light acceleration around 50 mph.

Many others here have reported it also.

Its a bummer that even 10 MYs later it is still present. What is it with the engineers at MB?

Last edited:

Funnyspruce

Thanks guys for the advice. I scheduled an appointment with the dealer tomorrow. Will report back what they say about the issue.

Funnyspruce

I got my vehicle back from the dealer, and they told me that the noise is normal for all Sprinters. The head technician said that it is normal for the humming noise to occur when applying slight acceleration (most prevalently occurring at about 50mph), especially when the van is empty or carrying a minor weight. The noise originates from the drivetrain and resonates through the steel body. He said that even the optional suspension dampers would not remove the noise, since these vans are optimally set up to be loaded up with a substantial weight, especially the dually.

Weight at the rear provides the most effective damping of the vibrations. This makes sense, since I notice that the noise is completely gone when the van is loaded up with weight in the rear.

He said the noise is most prevalent in duallys, since the rear axle is very short and stiff between the wheels.

The loaner Sprinter 140 2500 they gave us had the exact same noise around 50mph. Looks like we just have to find a way to live with it:) Im thinking installing a granite floor will get rid of the noise :hmmm: lol.

cvo

They replaced the complete rear-end and leaf springs, also added harmonic isolators to the leaf springs on my 2018 van.

Mike DZ

2016 View 24V (2015 3500)
They replaced the complete rear-end and leaf springs, also added harmonic isolators to the leaf springs on my 2018 van.
Did it relieve the drone/howl noise?

The only action that has eliminated the noise in my case is to temporarily over-inflate the outside tires of the duals. I confirmed this with ABA data collection using a dB meter app on my phone. I believe that the temporary over-inflation changed the resonance of the rear axle-wheels-tire assembly.

cvo

What are harmonic isolators?....where do they go?

Bob
Mercedes tech bulletin L135.00-N-060958

Leaf springs with Harmonic isolators.

Leaf springs with isolators part number 906-320-06-00

Last edited:

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
You might have the rear axles alignment checked. The axle could be bent a bit, and the toe could be wrong. Bad U joint angles can also contribute. Adjusting the trans rear mount can help a bunch. Also check that the transmission cross-member has not been bent by some lube jockey jacking incorrectly!

eralimited57

2008 Sprinter 2500 170 Extended High Top 3.0L CRD
Mercedes says "this is normal all vans make this drone/howl noise on light throttle at around 50 mph."

Normal, really? So they designed it to make this noise. I guess so, after all its been there for over 8 model years now.

I guess we are supposed to feel good about this cause it's "normal."

MB wake up!

D

Deleted member 50714

There was a MB publication about this. can someone repost it in the Data section.

D

Deleted member 50714

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 50714

Mercedes says "this is normal all vans make this drone/howl noise on light throttle at around 50 mph."

Normal, really? So they designed it to make this noise. I guess so, after all its been there for over 8 model years now.

I guess we are supposed to feel good about this cause it's "normal."

MB wake up!
I don't believe it intentionally designed it to make noise and MB has not rectified the issue because of the cost of redesign or retrofit. Especially, since its appears not to be detrimental to safe vehicle operation. I haven't heard the drone on mine but probably will now. :frown:

Top Bottom