Pumping fluid out of transmission

calbiker

My transmission installers added too much fluid. I'm thinking removing the drain plug will result in uncontrolled fluid loss. I want to pump fluid out the fill tube, but can't get the 3/16" OD plastic tube past the dip stick detent.

Any suggestions?

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
Theres no clean way to do this other than I can see. I would wait until the engine/transmission is COLD and use the drain plug on the bottom of the pan. Wear gloves, old clothes and use a large pan on the ground to contain the mess. The fluid being cold means that it will flow a little less rapidly and it won't burn you as you carefully remove the plug and then reinsert it into the flow.

mikeme

2015 LTV IB: 2015 3500 V6
I just measured my Pela 6000 hose, and the end of a transmission indicator.

looks to me like the Pela black hose is smaller than the indicating end of the tool.

so it should fit in fine.

you just need a different hose.

http://www.pelaproducts.com/

az7000'

2007 Navion on a 2006 3500 chassis
I put the 8qts in mine... Looked a bit high on the stick when I checked but I'm gonna run it, casting off thursday morning. What would be the symptoms of enough overfill to cause symptoms?

mikeme

a little internet searching offers the following:

Excess transmission fluid will cause foaming in any transmission. Foam does not flow like oil, reducing cooling and lubrication. It also implodes on compression between gears or in the hydraulics of automatic transmissions, causing severe damage (pitting).

In an automatic transmission, you will have higher temperatures and poor shifting, as it depends on solid hydraulic pressure, not spongy foam to move the clutches and bands.​

If it was me, I would want to get it down to the proper level.

I put the 8qts in mine... Looked a bit high on the stick when I checked but I'm gonna run it, casting off thursday morning. What would be the symptoms of enough overfill to cause symptoms?
:idunno:

How much is a bit?

In the early saga of reducing RSN there were those who claimed that running the transmission level a bit high reduced the symptoms. To my knowledge there were no reports of early failure or other doom.

With the engine/transmission up to operating temperature (180F+ by the dash gauge for a time) you should get an accurate reading per the dipstick high temperature range. If you are not over a 1/4" high (that is a number pulled out of the air) then I wouldn't worry about it.

:rolleyes: Unless the transmission lines were new or recently re-worked...
I certainly wouldn't mess with transmission line fittings just to drain off some fluid. There's some potential pitfalls with that. That is especially true with a rusty Sprinter. If draining is deemed necessary, then deal with the mess as Joel suggests.

Every time I have done a transmission fluid change with filter and TC drain, the drained fluid is very close to 8 quarts.

:2cents: vic

Last edited:

calbiker

Strange, the Pela hose probe is 3/16", same as my plastic hose. I did get it to work. Cut the end of the hose to a sharp point and got it past the detent.

I hope over fill was my issue as I was seeing fluid at the rear of the transmission. The dip stick indicator was showing fluid at the lower 80 C mark when the tranny fluid was at room temp. I may have taken out 1/2 quart.

Disconnecting the coolant line sounds like an alternative as they had just been worked on when installing the new tranny.

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
Fluid at the rear? That's uncommon. The only time I've seen fluid anywhere other than up by the electrical plug is when someone torqued down the pan bolts too tightly, deforming the pan seal. I don't have those torque numbers on me at the moment. Maybe someone else with a better memory can post them.

mikeme

where is the vent?

(I measured both the black part of the hose, and the plastic end of the dipstick . both just under a quarter, call it 0.21 and 0.22 or so )

could be a little thin from use, stretched a bit. I have noted that the rubber part gets longer than the inside, which to me says it has to get thinner.

used something like this https://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-dial-caliper-63730.html

I want to say the pan to case screw gets 8 NM (I looked this up for my 2015 with the V6)

Last edited:

az7000'

2007 Navion on a 2006 3500 chassis
:idunno:

How much is a bit?

Just over the high side of the hot section. I ran it around town and 2 good hills getting up to my house. Thinking the temp may have been a tad low but pretty close. I'll keep an eye on temps and shifting, leaving for Denver Thursday then through the mountains back to Flagstaff over the next week.

Thanks

... The only time I've seen fluid anywhere other than up by the electrical plug is when someone torqued down the pan bolts too tightly, deforming the pan seal.
To pick nits...

The pan is held by fitted clamping blocks which set a specific distance so the torque +/- isn't really an issue. That distance sets the repeatable compression of the rubber seal.

My guess would be that the seal was out of position, or that one or more of the clamp blocks were out of position.

As an aside, be careful with over torque on the transmission pan clamp bolts. Tight enough, not too tight. There have been reports of people stripping the aluminum threads.

Old Crows

Calypso 2014 View Profile
Cal, why not take it back to the shop and have them "adjust" the fluid level??????? You paid for a job done right......

calbiker

That would be ideal to take it back, but that would be a 4 hour drive to get there. You can pick and choose when and where the tranny will fail.

Escondido German Auto make the tranny swap. They filled the fluid.

Top Bottom