PDA

View Full Version : Engine swap advice

BGarrett
05-21-2018, 12:07 AM
I picked up a low mieage engine and transmission for my '04 t1n, and i'm planning on swapping them out n the next month or so. I'd like fo be sure i do everything right, and dont overlook anything while I've got it out. I know about wiring harness issues, but is there anything else that I should really look at while I'm in there? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

RileyC
05-21-2018, 03:04 AM
Make sure that the replacement engine has the updated flywheel. The ones on the 02,03 and I think early 04ís came with a flywheel that would develop cracks. The updated flywheel solved the issue. If the new engine and transmission are attached, you can check which one it has through the inspection window on the bottom of the bell housing.

Midwestdrifter
05-21-2018, 05:17 AM
How low is low mileage? If its nearing 100K miles or more, a water pump, serp belt, and related service may be called for. Check the bolts on the back of the HP pump, and put loctite on them if desired. If the replacement engine is from an 04, replacing the pressure relief valve on the bottom of the HP pump (if original) will prevent the annoying (but harmless) fuel line buzzing.

Check and replace any suspect hoses, clean EGR, etc.

Check harmonic balancer for separation, replace if needed.

BGarrett
05-21-2018, 11:55 AM
35k on the low miles engine, so serp belt and water pump might not be needed yet. Iíll definitely look at flywheel, inj pump bolts, and harmonic balancer.