PDA

View Full Version : Roof vent fix needed

peteinohio
05-17-2018, 12:32 AM
Iíve got a 2002, former Fed-Ex van, which apparently has a few different features than the stock T1N. In this case, it has a roof vent with fan. The fan died and the dealer wants over $1000.00 for the complete fan, cover, frame assembly. All I need is the fan motor. Any other similar van owners with ideas?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

autostaretx
05-17-2018, 12:43 AM
There's the usual choice of "cheap, or good?"

"Good" (with a variety of prices) would be a MaxxFan or Fantastic Fan ... you'd cut a 14 inch square hole "around" the existing fan and "drop" it in. You've already got the power.

"Cheap" would be to hit up a computer parts store and buy a fan that fits the existing cover's hole.
You probably wouldn't even need to *remove* the existing fan, just let the new fan blow past it.
(buy a finger guard/grille, too)

Does what you have now look something like:

??

If not, photos of what you have would help us help you.

--dick

Aqua Puttana
05-17-2018, 12:55 AM
... All I need is the fan motor. Any other similar van owners with ideas?
I don't have a FedEx Sprinter.

I have replaced vent fan motors with generic motors from Amazon, eBay, etc.

The fan shaft/type can be a bit critical so try to duplicate that.

One secret.
The motor mounting can be different. I address that by simply gluing the fan motor into place using Goop glue. No screws, bolts, or complication.

Something might be here.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/144-5451557-4940366?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=12+volt+vent+fan+motor

vic

peteinohio
05-17-2018, 03:06 AM
There's the usual choice of "cheap, or good?"

"Good" (with a variety of prices) would be a MaxxFan or Fantastic Fan ... you'd cut a 14 inch square hole "around" the existing fan and "drop" it in. You've already got the power.

"Cheap" would be to hit up a computer parts store and buy a fan that fits the existing cover's hole.
You probably wouldn't even need to *remove* the existing fan, just let the new fan blow past it.
(buy a finger guard/grille, too)

Does what you have now look something like:

??

If not, photos of what you have would help us help you.

--dick

Yes exactly

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

autostaretx
05-17-2018, 03:36 AM
Yes exactly
Then, in theory, parts for the subassemblies should be available:

Those are Dodge/Mopar part numbers, here's a Dodge/MB conversion guide: 97257

There are on-line discounted parts suppliers (start with europarts-sd.com )

After posting that, i noticed that they didn't call out the motor and the blades, even though they're drawn.
Usually that means that the Dodge catalog didn't delve deeply enough.
A dealer's (or someone with the EPC/WIS service) system may be able to get those parts, too.

The MB part number for item (1) is A 000 838 30 06

Doing lots of Googling and drilling thru Mopar parts sites is coming up dry (for item (1), at least).

But by the drawing, it does look like a "standard" 12v motor (as suggested by Vic/AquaPuttana) may fit.
The drawing appears to show the motor, a C-clip and the blade assembly.

Seek junkyard FedEx Sprinters? (pardon: Automotive Recycling Resource Centers)
They often are networked to be able to find oddball gadgets across the country...

--dick