What oil filter are you using

spark949

I’m going to change my oil on my 2008 Sprinter. I’m going to NAPA to get the 0w-30. I see lots of filters listed and would like to use a good one, even a Mercedes. What filter would one recommend. I don’t mind spending a little more on a good filter. I did search and looked, didn’t find one. you can yell at me if you want
Thanks

lindenengineering

Napa sells WIX made in Poland .
Wix filters are OK but flow at the top end of resistance.
I tend to use the MB filters for lots of reasons, but the factory filter gives me that keep your MB MB.
Dennis

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
Mercedes brand for me.
Mercedes does not manufacture oil filters, they source then from other manufacturers such as Mann, Mahle, or Hengst. Changed at recommended intervals there will be zero difference in performance between one of these quality brands and whatever MB happens to be re-branding as their 'OEM' filter at the time.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 50714

I like the filter's box graphics design and instead of tossing it in the trash, I repurpose it to hold MSP (Miscellaneous Small Parts) I'll probably never need but satiates some primal urge to hoard them.

Makes me feel rich to visit the dealership and munch on pastries and guzzle a few cups of mud they pass-off as coffee, while checking-out to see if the receptionist is a hottie or a hose monster.

mikesprints

I just changed my oil and ordered a Mahle filter for my I-4. O rings included and the filter has a rubber sealing ends. Mine was a 153-7D2. Reasonably priced @ $9.82. I used the Mahle on my prior van with v-6 and no issues. Btw Napa has Valvoline Synpower on sale for $5.79 a qt now and is meets MB spec 229.51. 5w-40

Jbernielh

the first time I changed the oil on the wife's RV I was all ready with mobil ESP and a Fram filter from the local auto parts store... when I removed the installed filter (I have no idea who did the previous oil change but safe to say not MB) the filter was crushed slightly and had a bit of a twist in it..
I decided to not mess around and went to the dealer and got a mahle... I compared it with the Fram when I got home and found the Fram stood a little taller.. I couldn't find a brand name on the damaged one that I removed.. suffice to say after that I only get MB filters for all positions..

Bernie

lindenengineering

the first time I changed the oil on the wife's RV I was all ready with mobil ESP and a Fram filter from the local auto parts store... when I removed the installed filter (I have no idea who did the previous oil change but safe to say not MB) the filter was crushed slightly and had a bit of a twist in it..
I decided to not mess around and went to the dealer and got a mahle... I compared it with the Fram when I got home and found the Fram stood a little taller.. I couldn't find a brand name on the damaged one that I removed.. suffice to say after that I only get MB filters for all positions..

Bernie
Bernie
Glad you posted this because it emphases what is known as quality assurance.
There are a lot of aftermarket filters available who knows what that quality assurance is?

The other month I bought a case of Landrover oil filter cartridges with a fairly little known main stream brand name , Made in China for $1,93 each.
The factory filter by the 100 off case is $5,95.
How can you know what is the quality assurance difference between the two extremes?
In short you can't without destructive analysis.

Unless it has changed since I last looked only two manufactures make their own filters, Toyota and Subaru.

As for the rest you have to be careful about selection.
Always take into account that in mass production there will be wastage and items that don't meet the minimal spec! They get tossed in the scrap stillage.
Those that pass are subjected to a flow test and dimensional conformity as they come of the production line before packaging ..

Its at that stage where the OE gets the best and the manufacturers sell the same in their own boxes for a percentage less.

Some won't quite pass but are serviceable and get sold to wholesalers as job lots.

The trick is to know what is OE quality and what is a good second from parts wholesaler.
Then its a decision time or what insurance companies call risk assessment.
Dennis

Wrinkledpants

2017 144WB 4x4
Mercedes does not manufacture oil filters, they source then from other manufacturers such as Mann, Mahle, or Hengst. Changed at recommended intervals there will be zero difference in performance between one of these quality brands and whatever MB happens to be re-branding as their 'OEM' filter at the time.

Yep. They've been supplying filters to Audi, Porsche, VW for years. I'm not doing oil changes myself on the Sprinter, but I'd have no issues running those three brands for anything filter-related.

CJPJ

2008 3500 170 EXTD 3.0 V6 OM642.993 4.182
OE = meets a specification. Goes into a Mercedes Box
OEM = made possibly failed to pass spec. Packaged differently

Every educated Harley owner knows that the only oil to use comes with Harley Davidson on the label. That applies to leather jackets, chrome add-ons, shirts, etc.

For Mercedes it is the best or nothing.

:cheers: vic

About 15 years ago I bought a non LG car charger for my brand new LG cell phone. It burned the phone up. Had it been genuine LG, I would have been fine. Since it wasn't I had to eat the cost of a new phone.

Only genuine MB filters for me.

smiller

OE = meets a specification. Goes into a Mercedes Box
OEM = made possibly failed to pass spec. Packaged differently
I have seen this posted frequently on the Internet (that reputable manufacturers willingly sell 'failed to pass spec' products in a retail distribution channel) but I find that a little incredible. I've never seen any supporting evidence (beyond additional unsupported posts on the Internet that reference each other.) Does anyone have any hard evidence that this is really true?

Wrinkledpants

2017 144WB 4x4
I have seen this posted frequently on the Internet (that reputable manufacturers willingly sell 'failed to pass spec' products in a retail distribution channel) but I find that a little incredible. I've never seen any supporting evidence (beyond additional unsupported posts on the Internet that reference each other.) Does anyone have any hard evidence that this is really true?
Folk lore, I'm guessing. I doubt any company like Mahle is going to stake their reputation on selling failed items to the general public. If this were true, you wouldn't see all these engine builders and indy repair facilities using them. People driving $150K vintage Porsches with big engine builds use these companies.

D

Deleted member 50714

:professor: Considering the recent diabolical emissions defeat debacle by two major European automobile manufacturers, I wouldn't put it pass some pimple faced executive with a freshly minted MBA from a diploma mill gone wild to concoct such a scheme. Who knows what evil lurks in the inner sanctums of corrupt corporations and will presume they do until proven otherwise.

CJPJ

2008 3500 170 EXTD 3.0 V6 OM642.993 4.182
They failed in that the tooling has warn and drifted out of MB spec. Can't be packaged in MB box.
Befor retooling; Still meeting a manufacturing spec. So still good to sell through OEM packaging.

Why else is their OEM packaging?

Last edited:

smiller

Why else is their OEM packaging?
Auto manufacturers will sell you filters because:

1. They can ensure a certain level of quality (which can be duplicated, or even improved, by buying from a quality aftermarket manufacturer.)

2. It is a profit center. I mean, if you could buy a zillion filters from Mahle or whoever at a big discount and them mark them up 100% or more and sell them to people who only buy 'genuine MB filters', wouldn't you?

Last edited:

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
Folk lore, I'm guessing. I doubt any company like Mahle is going to stake their reputation on selling failed items to the general public. If this were true, you wouldn't see all these engine builders and indy repair facilities using them. People driving $150K vintage Porsches with big engine builds use these companies.
I agree that it is folklore.
But I will say, sometimes the item that is sold under the OEM name is not available with identical specifications from the actual supplier's name.
I doubt this is true of oil filter cartridges. But I have come across it with spin on filters, and spark plugs.

smiller

Ah, the nebulous 'specifications' bugaboo. There are really only three specs that come into play, filtering efficiency, pressure drop through the media, and (with spin-on filters) pressure relief valve, and all of these can be duplicated (or improved upon) with the correct aftermarket filter. That leaves quality of construction, which also can easily be matched or improved upon by aftermarket filters.

Can you go into any discount store and grab the cheapest filter you see and be certain that it matches OEM standards? No. But with even the slightest amount of research it is entirely possible to meet or exceed OEM requirements without buying a filter that has been re-packaged with an automaker's logo.

Top Bottom