PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Fluid Reusing

JCMiller23
05-14-2018, 12:49 AM
I replaced the fluid on my trans hoping it would help an issue, turns out it needs a rebuild/swap. I cleaned out the pan/magnet real good before adding new fluid and the transmission hasn't moved since I put the new fluid in. Is it safe to reuse the old fluid in a new transmission?

MillionMileSprinter
05-14-2018, 01:03 AM
Go to Walmart, spend $50 on the Valvoline Maxlife full synthetic in the red bottles.
Prevention is better than intervention.
Do it right from the beginning and you won't have to worry about it for 80k miles.

Tooth Fairy
05-14-2018, 07:36 AM
I replaced the fluid on my trans hoping it would help an issue, turns out it needs a rebuild/swap. I cleaned out the pan/magnet real good before adding new fluid and the transmission hasn't moved since I put the new fluid in. Is it safe to reuse the old fluid in a new transmission?

Mate, if you cant afford new oil for the Sprinter then youve got the wrong vehicle, they get veeeeeeeery expensive to maintain as they get older.

Patrick of M
05-14-2018, 08:31 AM
Fwiw I changed the fluid and filter, cleaned the speed sensors etc in the hopes of fixing a problem...didn’t fix it and i needed to change the contact plate. I reused the fluid, worked fine for me. Seemed wasteful to throw out fluid that was a week old. I filtered it through a paint filter.

Midwestdrifter
05-14-2018, 09:35 AM
Filter through a fine screen before reusing. If the fluid was burned, don't reuse obviously.

Patrick of M
05-14-2018, 12:43 PM
Btw how do you know it needs a rebuild? Was it eating gears/clutches etc? If so, and the the oil is full of super fine metal particulate I would not reuse. Reuse only if only if it filters out brand new looking.

Bobnoxious
05-14-2018, 12:50 PM
Make sure cantainers are clean and filter through paint or coffee filter.

Aqua Puttana
05-14-2018, 01:24 PM
Fwiw I changed the fluid and filter, cleaned the speed sensors etc in the hopes of fixing a problem...didnít fix it and i needed to change the contact plate. I reused the fluid, worked fine for me. Seemed wasteful to throw out fluid that was a week old. I filtered it through a paint filter.
:thumbup::thumbup:

The times I have re-used good fluid I also put it through a paint filter. I had no reason to suspect contamination. If I had doubts I would use a visual inspection of the paint filter for excessive contamination and decide from there. I've tried coffee filters. They drain too slowly with ATF to be useful.

Pouring through a paint filter gives a chance for visual inspection for chunks. The fluid is going back into the sump. 100% of that fluid will be filtered by the transmission filter before getting to do its job. The paint filter just makes me feel better.

Re-use. Recycle.

vic

JCMiller23
05-15-2018, 09:15 PM
Btw how do you know it needs a rebuild? Was it eating gears/clutches etc? If so, and the the oil is full of super fine metal particulate I would not reuse. Reuse only if only if it filters out brand new looking.

I made a post about it a while back, details are here:
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65612

It had chunks of metal in the pan (according to someone, looked like an F2 Sprag), along with a loss of drive and eliminating other possible causes, Dr. A said it looked like it was time for a rebuild.

JCMiller23
05-15-2018, 10:53 PM
:thumbup::thumbup:

The times I have re-used good fluid I also put it through a paint filter. I had no reason to suspect contamination. If I had doubts I would use a visual inspection of the paint filter for excessive contamination and decide from there. I've tried coffee filters. They drain too slowly with ATF to be useful.

Pouring through a paint filter gives a chance for visual inspection for chunks. The fluid is going back into the sump. 100% of that fluid will be filtered by the transmission filter before getting to do its job. The paint filter just makes me feel better.

Re-use. Recycle.

vic

The paint filters that you're talking about, are they like these? https://www.harborfreight.com/pack-of-100-110-to-120-mesh-paint-strainers-91378.html

Aqua Puttana
05-15-2018, 11:09 PM
The paint filters that you're talking about, are they like these? https://www.harborfreight.com/pack-of-100-110-to-120-mesh-paint-strainers-91378.html
Yep. Similar.

Except mine are from the 1970's and have the logo of my paint supplies store on them. They've been handy for different things.

vic

DesertAdventures
05-15-2018, 11:20 PM
It had chunks of metal in the pan

You're in great hands, Dr A won't steer you wrong.

I reuse my engine oil for bar oil on chainsaws but would not even think of risking a new rebuilt trans with fluid that came out with metal in it even if fluid is almost new and filtered.

*Please take old fluids to a recycling facility. :cheers:

Patrick of M
05-15-2018, 11:54 PM
Yeah if I got a transmission rebuilt I would probably spring for brand new oil. But I would keep the used oil filtered and stored for future use.

Aqua Puttana
05-16-2018, 01:23 AM
:hmmm:

Initially the new transmission will have plenty of junk from the rebuild and wear/friction parts seating in.

Chunks in the recycled fluid from the original failure... the filter can trap those with no problem. Reuse of the fluid isn't the concern. Improper flushing of the remaining components is the enemy.

Spent fluid with depleted additives could hurt a transmission. Newly installed, subsequently drained and reused fluid will not be a problem.

The peace of mind may be worth the expense, but to me logic shows that it is wasted money and resources.

But I'm just one more opinionated guy on the internet.

:cheers: vic

P.S. - Somethin' tells me that in a 3rd world country that fluid would be successfully reused without a second thought.

DesertAdventures
05-16-2018, 10:14 PM
:hmmm:

Initially the new transmission will have plenty of junk from the rebuild and wear/friction parts seating in.

Chunks in the recycled fluid from the original failure... the filter can trap those with no problem. Reuse of the fluid isn't the concern. Improper flushing of the remaining components is the enemy.

Spent fluid with depleted additives could hurt a transmission. Newly installed, subsequently drained and reused fluid will not be a problem.

The peace of mind may be worth the expense, but to me logic shows that it is wasted money and resources.

But I'm just one more opinionated guy on the internet.

:cheers: vic

P.S. - Somethin' tells me that in a 3rd world country that fluid would be successfully reused without a second thought.

As usual, you may be on to something there vic and I'm also with you in many circumstances on doing things on the cheap at times. :cheers: Depending if/how trans was flushed during rebuild it might not be such a bad thing to perhaps double or triple filter it and then use that fluid or just use it as a flush.