gear shift module prob (2011 Sprinter)

Snowkaguya

Hi All,

We have a 2011 Mercedes Sprinter 2500, with 58K miles.

Anyone have experience replacing a gear shift module on a similar Sprinter? Or the whole gear shift assembly?

Our module broke (full drama below), and we’re wondering if we should bring it to a shop vs repair it ourselves.

Thanks!
Nick

---------

Initial problem: When shifted into Reverse, the white reverse lights don’t stay on. They blink a couple of times, stay off and occasionally blink again.

No obvious issues at the bulb assembly or wiring harness, so we thought the problem might be poor electrical contact in the gear shifter. We removed the shifter covers and looked inside a little peep hole into the assembly (see Pic 1). Through the hole, we saw what seemed to be the problem: the shifter’s downward facing metal pin is making poor contact with the fixed metal plate at the reverse position. It looks like the pin has carved a small, shallow ditch into the thin metal plate, from its pendulum-like swinging action.

We thought the simplest fix would be bending the metal plate back upwards, but we couldn’t access the plate through the peep hole.

To get inside the shifter assembly, we removed a black, rectangular component on the side (Pics 2-3). It’s labeled “Cherry PP 906 267 017”, it’s very lightweight and cheap plastic-feeling, and it has 4 small cable harnesses attached. We think it’s the gear shift module, but would love confirmation. After unscrewing the module from the shifter assembly, we saw the cylindrical shaft on the assembly (Pic 4) that rotates a receptacle in the module (Pic 5). Manually turning this receptacle a few degrees will toggle through all the gear indicator lights on the shifter.

Video clip:

https://youtu.be/B92X13CCITM

Since removing the module didn’t give us better access into the shifter, we screwed it back in.

Secondary problem: Unfortunately, we must not have aligned the module correctly when we put it back, because as soon as we tried shifting gears, we heard it crack… that cheap plastic cracking sound, like a CD jewel case breaking. We removed it again to look inside, and sure enough, pieces of the receptacle broke off in a few places.

Now when we put the module back on the shifter, the shift indicator lights up the wrong gear. It’s normally offset by 1 gear. For example, the transmission is in Drive, but “N” lights up of the shifter. Or we shift into Reverse, but the “P” lights up, etc. The electrical system now behaves according to the light shown on the shifter, regardless of what gear it's actually in. For example, the engine won’t crank when the shifter light is on “R” even though the transmission is actually in Neutral. Arghh!

We’re hesitant to buy a new module and fix it ourselves, unless we have a better idea on how to install it.. properly aligned, without breaking! The module seems to have an alignment hole (through the housing, intersecting the interior selector arm), but we haven’t had luck using it.

Hesitant to drive the Sprinter now, since the electronics don’t seem to know what the transmission is doing.

Any insight or suggestions appreciated!

Attachments

autostaretx

Erratic Member
The newest NCV3 parts catalog i have at hand (2008) say it's MB number A 906 260 27 09
(which doesn't quite agree with the number on your Cherry label)
((Cherry is a long-time switch company))

That's item (1) in the following Dodge/Mopar parts list:

ShifterParts.png

--dick

Snowkaguya

Thanks for the leads, Dick!

Curious if anyone has tips on re-installing that part (gear control module).

Each time I've tried re-attaching it to the gear shift assembly, either the gear indicator lights are offset (lights up "N" while in drive, lights in "R" in neutral, etc), or I further crack the darn thing.

Thanks again,

Nick

EBH

I have a used one, from a 2007.( complete unit) I replaced it when the spring in the shift lever came off.
I repaired it and now it is quite serviceable.
They are really not that difficult to replace.
I,m in Edmonton Alberta and would be willing to ship it to you.
Check it out and see if it will work on yours?
Ed

Snowkaguya

Wow --- thanks, Ed!

Let me do some research to see if the 2007 shifter assembly is compatible with 2011 models.

I'm not really sure where to verify that, so if you happen to have any pics handy, please send them my way.

We drove through Edmonton in September: loved it!! Now in Atlanta, Georgia visiting family.

Nick

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Let me do some research to see if the 2007 shifter assembly is compatible with 2011 models.

I'm not really sure where to verify that,
Call a dealer with the two VINs (2007 and 2011), see if the part numbers are the same.
Dealer parts catalogs operate by VIN ... the system only shows/offers the correct part
(it also shows if there are updates/superseded numbers)

--dick

EBH

Hi Nick,
Sorry, I just some how stumbled on your post. ( not able to get on private messages)
I'm sure you have it repaired by now.
The MB part number for the unit is A9062603509.
This is from the replacement unit.
I still have the unit, but it is in Edmonton and I'm in Newfoundland.

Ed

bzen

Did the issue ever get fixed? My 2013 has the same issue with the reverse lights. When I shift into reverse the lights will flash on but then cut out. The back up camera doesn't work either. Im wondering if it is a bad electrical connection in the shifter???

Top Bottom