PDA

View Full Version : Conductor Plate - '06 Cargo Van

O6sprinter
05-12-2018, 12:40 AM
Hey guys,

A couple months ago, I purchased my '06 Hi top 137k. I got a good deal, knowing it needed some love. After a few days, it went in LHM. With my basic scanner and help from all the helpful members on the forum pointed to the contractor plate.( I'm a finish carpenter not a mechanic, definitely the first time I've heard of a contractor plate)

I researched the forum and watched all the videos on YouTube I could find. While I awaited for a autel 802 to be delivered, I decided to try the clean the plate after a visit to the Dodge dealership, which shot me a you-got-a-be-****ting-me price of $ 1,045.00. Welcome to Sprinter world.

I removed the valve body, cleaned the contactor plate as best I could, and reassembled it. During the reassemble, I noticed the last solenoid on the connectors side had a issue on rubber boot, a little beat up. It ran fine for a week or so. Then, it started throwing a p2203 code every now and then. This week it did it every day, I took a shot just more Sprinter educational love.

I ordered a contactor plate, solenoid, and filter/gasket from www.eeuroparts.com. Tomorrow morning I'm going to replace the plate and solenoid.

The plate has me a little concerned, the new one is a Hudson, $140 bucks the solenoid is MB. I know there are a lot of smart people out there, does anyone have any information on the Hudson plate?

Thanks Lee

O6sprinter
05-12-2018, 01:15 AM
I need to correct the post I ordered the parts europarts SD.

The video I liked was from eeuroparts.com

Midwestdrifter
05-12-2018, 03:11 AM
I am not familiar with that company, but that appears to be the mercedes part, just reboxed (with MB number removed) and sold aftermarket. The NAG1 is a common transmission, so the aftermarket parts support for it is good.

Europarts SD has a good reputation for supplying quality parts. I have not heard of any issues with this part either. I would install it.

lindenengineering
05-12-2018, 04:06 AM
Hudson is fine!
Sold to auto trans re-builders like me
Dennis

MillionMileSprinter
05-12-2018, 04:56 AM
Agreed. I use Hudson in my own vans and my customers' vans. So far I have nothing but positive things to say about them.

O6sprinter
05-12-2018, 06:42 AM
Nice, I ordered brake pads and an oil change a couple weeks a go from them. All went well, when I ordered this stuff on the phone ( had a question on the solenoid) Thay overnighted it so I'd have for Saturday with out up charging shipping. Also I've read good things about them on the forum.

When I saw the info had been scratch out. That got my attention, how often do you see made in Germany scratch out!! Sprinter world is a strange and expensive place. I have no reason to complain, for the most part if you do your homework you can get quality parts at reasonable prices. ALL manufacturers charge big bucks for OEM not just MB. I'm at the point in life Where I don't need anything made in China!!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys, Lee

lindenengineering
05-12-2018, 01:04 PM
Lee
Some of this Chinese stuff is beginning to be very good, when made without brand supervision like Brembo.
Case in point 2002/2003 MAF air flow unit!
The OE Bosch is close to $500.
A good aftermarket item is HUCO from Germany but the actual sensor is made in China.
Retailing for about $300 at Napa we have installed many of these for budget conscious customers without trouble.
Dennis

O6sprinter
05-12-2018, 11:49 PM
The MB god's smiled upon me today.

I jumped under the truck this morning, ready to go. One valve-body bolt stripped upon removal. Bad day at the office.

I've been granted peace from the farfegnugen gods.

By luck I pulled it out my ass. I hope you don't have to deal with this.

OK, I stripped a tork, what do I do now? One option was the 5 gl gas can of gas, the other is telling you wife you stripped a bolt. I'll have to make an expensive arraignment to get it out of drive way?!?!?!?!?!

I got lucky today, garage sales saved my sprinter ass!!!! The left twist drill bits & extractors, both picked up at garage sales.

I used the drill side of the extractor to center bore, hoping to drill out enough meat so the vise grips could break the head off. After removing the remaining bolts, the body would slide down off the stud.

After drilling it came out with out breaking off. Slight twist and it backed out. I GOT lucky!!!!!.

OK, I have it out. I have to make it run. My wife had the car doing family things. I called my Dodge dealer. He might be able to get them by Friday. I jumped on my bike, rode to the parts store. They had them in hex head, jump back on my bike. Put it all together, did a test drive. It ran great. So there's a Sprinter with one hex head bolt in the valve body. No doubt its from China******.

Re: The picture of the magnet. It was cleaned 1,800 miles ago/6 weeks ago. Should it have that much crap on it?

How was your day?
Lee

lightwave
05-13-2018, 08:23 PM
I'd be worried if it was metal shavings or chunks. It looks like the fluid hasn't been changed in a very long time

O6sprinter
05-13-2018, 08:53 PM
That's the scary part, I change the fluid and filter 1800 miles/6 weeks ago.

Midwestdrifter
05-13-2018, 10:15 PM
If you didn't clean the magnet all of that gunk is from the last change. Looks normal to me.

O6sprinter
05-13-2018, 11:54 PM
I cleaned last time/ 1,800 miles ago. I drained the torque converter new filter. I wasn't expecting that much crud.

O6sprinter
05-14-2018, 12:17 AM
This pic was from the first time I dropped the valve body. I tried cleaning the contactor plate, I've learned a lot in 2 months. If knew a good plate was $140 not $1045. I would replace it the first time.

I want to thank everyone for all your help. Lee

O6sprinter
05-17-2018, 09:10 PM
I took some pics of the old contactor plate.

I put them side-by-side before I installed the new one. They were absolutely identical in every way, very fortunate for me I've been driving a lot the last few days.

As far as the stripped bolt/ tork, that's all on me, I got in a hurry and I paid for it. Just wanted to thank everyone for your input.

Aqua Puttana
05-17-2018, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the update.

I skimmed this thread, but didn't see any mention of where you purchased the conductor plate.

Did it come from Europarts SD?

Conductor Plate

http://europarts-sd.com/transmissionconductorplate2002-2009.asp

As you mentioned...

At 149 bucks a conductor plate replacement reminds me of the 120 buck Fuse Box #1 aka FB#1 replacement. The cost is low enough that rather than messing around with cleaning or repair, it is better to just pre-order and replace the part.

:cheers: vic

Added:
I didn't go back far enough. Europarts SD was mentioned.

O6sprinter
05-18-2018, 12:57 AM
Hi, Vic

Yes, europarts SD I'm doing this on a table. I haven't been able to copy and paste links..

Thanks for dealing with my spelling, obviously one of my my things. The wife has a list of others, SPRINTER made top of the list.

I'm new to sprinter world, someone scratch the MB off the plate. It's the exact same plate as I removed. My local dealer shot me $1045 for it, europarts SD' s $140 !!

I'm surprised no one busted on me, over the Chinese heax head bolt in my valve body. It wasn't like I bought that on myself:bash: