Scangauge LOAD easily goes to 99

crockej

2005, 2500, 144
Monitoring the LOAD goauge with my scangauge II on my 2005 sprinter (with 72k miles), it seems to quickly go to 99 under what seems to be minimal pedal pressure. It seems to have good acceleration though it doesn’t feel like the turbo is kicking in like it used to. My mpg has been steady (around 20). While cruising at 60 it seems that the slightest hill or pedal pressure will send the gauge to 99. Plus, starting from a stop, with a light foot, it jumps to 99 easily. I clean the air cleaner regularly but that doesn’t seem to make a difference. Is there anything I should look at or am I just being overly concerned about nothing?

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Tell your scangauge to also display MAP (manifold absolute pressure).

If it's not going above 17 psi, your turbo isn't working.

--dick

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
LOAD (pid LOD) is the percentage of AVAILABLE power at that instant.

So if your turbo is not working, as Dick surmises, then your available power will be very low and hence any call for power will quickly use up everything that is available!

Hope that makes sense.

Keith.

Quote from SG11 user manual

"LOD Engine Loading

This is a percentage of the maximum power available currently being generated. In some vehicles it is the maximum available at the present RPM."

https://www.scangauge.com/support/user-manuals/

Last edited:

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
Also inspect your turbo hoses. If the MAP acts normally, then it is likely that a hose is leaking the pressure.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
The ScanGauge is most likely reporting PID 04 "calculated load value".
Which was defined by OBD regulations as:
(current airflow / peak airflow @sea level) * (BARO @ sea level / BARO) * 100%
("baro" = barometric pressure)
But:
"Various manufacturers have implemented this calculation in a variety of ways. The following definition, although a little more restrictive, will standardise and improve the accuracy the calculation

LOAD_PCT = [current airflow] / [(peak airflow at WOT@STP as a function of rpm) * (BARO/29.92) * SQRT(298/(AAT+273))]
"
(WOT= wide open throttle, STP = standard temperature and pressure ( 25 °C, 29.92 inches Mercury), SQRT = square root, AAT=Ambient Air Temperature °C)

... for diesels, i've also seen it as a fuel-flow ratio.
---------
There's an "Absolute Load" PID 43, but diesels aren't required to provide that...

--dick
(source: http://obdcon.sourceforge.net/2010/06/about-pid-calculated-load-value/ )

Nuke

Hey Dick

Wade Here

How do you tell the scangage to display MAP?
years ago I made a change to show average MPG or Tank of something
and I don't remember how I did it and can't fine that message
I also think it over wrote another display so which one is one we don't need for our diesel sprinter
and how do I determine which one to overwrite?

Thanks
wade

autostaretx

Erratic Member
How do you tell the scangage to display MAP?
years ago I made a change to show average MPG or Tank of something
and I don't remember how I did it and can't fine that message
I also think it over wrote another display so which one is one we don't need for our diesel sprinter
and how do I determine which one to overwrite?
When it's doing its normal gauge display, just press the button beside the item you want to change (overwrite).
That will cause that item to cycle to the next (and next and next) item in the list of available displays.
Just keep tapping until you reach MAP

It's that easy as-you're-driving front panel button action that make the ScanGauge my favorite monitor.

--dick

Nuke

No Dick, MAP is not one of my available options
on one of my threads years ago I guess the guy from Scangage
gave me instructions on how to add a display to the available list
I think I might have overwritten the MAP not knowing what it was
Later I realized that was one of the ones we'd want
but never figured how to call it back
I know there are some that don't really apply to our sprinters
so I don't know maybe I'll try contacting Scangage and see what they can tell me

How are things in your neck of the woods?
I have to say I miss it abit
That 1 year military tour was really great
never been in that part of the country
and loved the hunting and fishing
Plus that is where I found my Sprinter
and met you
Best to you and your lovely wife
Wade & Kim

autostaretx

Erratic Member
So i'd call ScanGAuge back up and ask for the "formula" (numbers to key in) for MAP.

There's at least one "gasoline ignition"-related choice that's disposable for a Sprinter.
(looks in manual) yeah... "IGN" ... ignition timing.

Yes, i enjoyed our forum chats and the actual physical meeting
have fun
--dick

crockej

2005, 2500, 144
So my MAP shows 14.9 at idle and up to 34 when I floor it. So I guess the turbo is working. Decided to check the egr valve...Having a heck of a time getting it out. Removed 3 screws (one broke off! Will deal with that later). Pounded with hammer, sprayed with WD40, pounded some more, sprayed with liquid wrench, pounded some more. No luck. Letting it soak over night and will get back to pounding some more tomorrow.

sailquik

Nuke,
Why not send your ScanGauge II (I hope you have a Scan Gauge II) back to Linear Logic LLC and have them upgrade it to the latest firmware.
Last time I sent mine in, it costs $25.00 and I had it back in about a week.
Then you will have all the latest features.
https://www.scangauge.com/support/upgrade/
You can check the firmware version in your Scan Gauge II using the above link and see what version is in your Scan Gauge II.
The latest firmware upgrade will give you all the latest PIDs without having to
use the X-Gauge command strings.
Roger

Last edited:
When it's doing its normal gauge display, just press the button beside the item you want to change (overwrite).
That will cause that item to cycle to the next (and next and next) item in the list of available displays.
Just keep tapping until you reach MAP

It's that easy as-you're-driving front panel button action that make the ScanGauge my favorite monitor.

--dick
Old thread, I realize, but maybe my response will help someone else - the MAP/Boost selection first requires attention under Advanced Setup.

From the HOME screen: MORE > ADV SETTINGS > MAP OR BOOST
Use the lower buttons to select MAP here and then it will be available as one of the gauge settings by scrolling through as noted above.

I just bought my second SGII - the first was for my 2005 T1N Pleasure-Way Plateau TS with 53k miles, and I just got the other for my 2006 Mercedes-Benz E320 CDI with 205k miles; my goal is to learn to use the LOD reading to see how far I go on a tankful in the E320 because I need some way to keep the kid-in-a-candy-store feeling of the 369 lb-ft from bankrupting me with speeding fines.

Best Regards,
Rob

autostaretx

Erratic Member
RobertFini wrote: "MORE > ADV SETTINGS > MAP OR BOOST"

I have the ancient ScanGauge 1 ... it only offers MAP. (which i prefer, since that's what the Sprinter is really measuring)

BOOST is MAP less 14.9 psi ... unless it's sneaky and uses the actual barometric pressure instead of a fixed sea-level 14.9 value.

--dick

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Monitoring the LOAD goauge with my scangauge II on my 2005 sprinter (with 72k miles), it seems to quickly go to 99 under what seems to be minimal pedal pressure. It seems to have good acceleration though it doesn’t feel like the turbo is kicking in like it used to.
Your LOD shows how much of the currently available power you are using. So if your turbo is not working then your available power will be extremely low and hence your percentage usage of that available power will quickly hit 99% (the SGII cannot show 100%).

You need to find out why your turbo is not working, have you scanned for codes? I believe the SGII will give basic codes if you don't have any other code reader.

Keith.

Top Bottom