722.6 converter 8mm vs 10mm drain hole, What is different?

az7000'

2007 Navion on a 2006 3500 chassis
On a common parts site this is listed...

NOTE: Updated replacement torque converters for the 766.6/NAG1 used in the Sprinter van use the updated 8mm plug. The replacement torque converter part number is 2102500602. Vans with the updated replacement torque converter must purchase the 8mm plug.

I ordered the 10mm and realized i need the 8mm. Does anyone know if it is "upgraded" or is it really upgraded. Were the later ones just different? It would be nice to have a stronger one as opposed to just a different number and drain plug. And if it is updated did my old one fail before I bought it? It was 1.5 its low and that is why I am changing the fluid n filters at 44k, does smell a bit burnt, not a lot but a bit. I've searched and only found the new number on eBay and such

Thanks

My understanding is that the "updated" torque converter smaller Allen plug was installed in the 2006 T1N's. The NCV3 Euro model was introduced in 2006. The NAS aka NAFTA NCV3 lagged to 2007. The factory must have been producing both T1N and NCV3 models concurrently.

The "update" may be as simple as the plug size is different in the newer style TC outer case. (The available NCV3 outer case used with T1N interior parts.) Silver Star transmission or other re-builder may be able to verify whether the updates are substantial.

vic

Top Bottom