PDA

View Full Version : Tire Carrier - Bent Rear Door Repair

kensuelo
05-06-2018, 06:52 PM
Hi All,

Quick search doesn't seem to yield any previous discussion here.

Previous owner installed a rear mount carrier on driver's side door, and subsequently backed into a wall.:bash:

As a result, the middle of the door is dented in at middle mounting point (hinges look fine), causing the top and bottom of the door to flare outwards. This makes the passenger door very difficult to close, sine the perimeter weatherstripping must be over-compressed to get the latches to find home. Obviously both top and bottom latch see much more shear load now. The factory weatherstrip prevents passenger side from being closed so is currently removed.

My original thought was to use a hand winch/come-a-long between the carrier and a phone poll to try and pull it back into shape. I know the latches are not going to like that very much so will likely need to weld up a steel fixture to constrain the top and bottom edges for my 3-pt bend test.

Does any one have an alternative approach for fixing this? Might as well give a few things a try before resigning to replacing the door.

Will upload some pics this week. Thanks!
-Alex

lindenengineering
05-06-2018, 08:24 PM
Ken
Save the brain damage--buy a door mate !
That what we do, new or use plus lick of paint maybe.
Job done looks like it never got whacked.
Dennis

DesertAdventures
05-06-2018, 08:56 PM
I agree with Dennis, T1N's have enough door issues without attaching a come along to them! Another option would be take it off and see if you could straighten it out enough to close better.

Carminooch615
05-06-2018, 10:35 PM
I’m in the same position as you with a bent inwards door and it’s extremely frustrating. Rain gets in, doesn’t shut properly, etc... I’m waiting for a set of doors to go up for sale locally so I can replace them. I was going to fix it, however it just doesn’t seem like it’ll ever be perfect again

kensuelo
05-06-2018, 11:38 PM
Iím in the same position as you with a bent inwards door and itís extremely frustrating. Rain gets in, doesnít shut properly, etc... Iím waiting for a set of doors to go up for sale locally so I can replace them. I was going to fix it, however it just doesnít seem like itíll ever be perfect again

Have you looked on car-part.com to see if a local yard has something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lindenengineering
05-06-2018, 11:41 PM
I have probably got one!
Can check tomorrow
Dennis

kensuelo
05-06-2018, 11:42 PM
Ken

Save the brain damage--buy a door mate !

That what we do, new or use plus lick of paint maybe.

Job done looks like it never got whacked.

Dennis

Wonít freak out if I end up here eventually, but Iíve got to try something before I throw in the towel!

Doesnít help that I overpaid a bit for this one (118SHC) so Iím reluctant to get spendy until I all else fails :)

lindenengineering
05-07-2018, 12:17 AM
OK so whats a door worth to you?
Dennis

Oilburner
05-07-2018, 12:38 AM
Dennis, I need rear doors set low roof too!
Could be shell only. Window or plain slab. White in color, but I can paint 'em!

kensuelo
05-07-2018, 12:39 AM
OK so whats a door worth to you?

Dennis

No idea whatís reasonable, $300?

lindenengineering
05-07-2018, 01:46 AM
No idea whatís reasonable, $300?

Yes'
If I have one you can have it for 3 Mister Franklins .
The money will go to Mercy Ships or Operation Smile.
You can decide If I have one in the AM.
I will PM you
Dennis.
Mercy Ships
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03qb6Bfrkn8

Operation Smile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AdeTBx9p0M

SneakyAnarchistVanCamper
05-07-2018, 03:47 AM
Rain gets in, doesnít shut properly, etc.

Just shove some saran wrap/packing material from a recycling bin in the rear door cracks and don't use it till you get it fixed, problem solved, for now.

kensuelo
05-08-2018, 07:42 AM
Turns out I don't need a door after all. Upon closer inspection, the bottom strike plate was interfering with the threshold. Half hour with the angle grinder fixed it right up.

Patrick of M
05-09-2018, 12:38 PM
Yes'
If I have one you can have it for 3 Mister Franklins .
The money will go to Mercy Ships or Operation Smile.
You can decide If I have one in the AM.
I will PM you
Dennis.
Mercy Ships
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03qb6Bfrkn8

Operation Smile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AdeTBx9p0M

Good stuff. I like using extra side cash, from used stuff etc I sell, and giving it to charity. Itís painless, and helps make the sale, as most folks wonít haggle with me over money Iím not keeping for myself.

Carminooch615
05-09-2018, 04:20 PM
Have you looked on car-part.com to see if a local yard has something?

I have not, Iíve been stalking craigslist to no avail. Think itís time to step up my game here! Thanks for the suggestion