PDA

View Full Version : purchasing water pump at Oreillies vs the dealer

ManWithDog
05-06-2018, 01:38 PM
Oreillies has a water pump for my 02 t1n @ $112 dollars. Its called Import Direct. Aftermarket with a lifetime warranty.

Should I get a different brand?

Parts Geeks has it at 65 it's Airtex brand https://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/MC/30457-07079639.html?utm_content=MC&utm_term=2002-2003+Freightliner+Sprinter+2500+Water+Pump+Airtex+ 02-03+Freightliner+Water+Pump&utm_source=google&utm_medium=ff&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+Google+Base&gclid=Cj0KCQjwz7rXBRD9ARIsABfBl800thwq0x_sF-JAsF82-zmNJvw44z9MNmTsnRlhaTbEuV5CdJ8jWQgaAr4lEALw_wcB&ad=47584901292

Europa Parts has it at $95 for OEM https://www.europaparts.com/water-pump-6112001101.html?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjwz7rXBRD9ARIsABfBl80og8lTyDEOAXIcAXPm NmdCNPAzKvUN9nLArtpAb5g7SyMqBZiO7JkaAqtDEALw_wcB

Or should I get it at the dealership?

Also I cant find any instructions on how to do this on the 2002-2003 models. does anyone know of a tutorial?

MillionMileSprinter
05-06-2018, 01:57 PM
The procedure is almost identical for all years T1N.
Even if it has a lifetime warranty, do you really want to have to do the whole repair all over again?
"Penny wise, pound foolish"
Go with a trusted source. The Dealership, Europarts or me. I don't think I have it listed on my website, but I also carry all the cooling system components for your engine. While you are in there replacing the water pump, you should also replace the belt tensioner, the belt, the police and the fan and fan clutch. Unless you know that they were recently replaced. The best way to access everything is to remove the grill the condenser the intercooler and the radiator. I know I sell a complete cooling system kit for the 04-06 engines. I haven't had a chance to get one listed on my website for your engine, but I would be happy to put a kid together for you and ship it out.
https://www.millionmilesprinter.com/cooling-system
Whoever you end up buying from, it is worth it to spend a little extra money up front and get something that you know is quality and trusted and reliable. It's no fun replacing a part that has failed prematurely because you wanted to save a couple bucks.

ManWithDog
05-06-2018, 02:20 PM
oye. how difficult is it installing the clutch? everything else sounds doable but idk if i can handle the clutch on my own.

MillionMileSprinter
05-06-2018, 02:22 PM
Its not a clutch like in a car with a manual transmission. It's just the thing that the fan bolts to. If you look at the photo on my website of the fan assembly. It's the silver thing in the middle.

sailquik
05-06-2018, 02:57 PM
Joel,
Cool Website! Well done young man!
Might want to buy a couple of boxes of thin nitrile work gloves....at least for your photos.
Probably won't be able to reach the Andy or Dennis level without the gloves.
Just kidding ya..... buy lots of hand cleaner for a similar outcome.
Or, as it was when I was a 17 yr old kid working in a service station/garage.....wash a lot of dishes after work.
Cleans all the grime....even under your fingernails......remember dishwashers were NOT a common kitchen appliance
in the early 1960's.
Roger

MillionMileSprinter
05-06-2018, 03:10 PM
Hey Roger.
The website is a work in progress and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks!
Million Mile Sprinter is growing like crazy. Dennis and Andy are amazing fountains of knowledge and skills. They have nothing to worry about from me. There's so much demand for good Sprinter mechanics that there's plenty to go around.

ECU
05-06-2018, 03:23 PM
If you're going to be in there doing the water pump. You should take the time to repair the fuel pump. Read up about the fuel pump. At about 340,000 miles, the bolts on the back side back out and cause a leaky pump.
I would think that removing the pump; add lock tight to the bolts; tighten them up, would give you many miles of satisfaction.
And guess what you must remove to get the fuel pump out?

sailquik
05-06-2018, 03:38 PM
Hi Joel,
Just sending some humor your way on a very rainy Sunday.
The gloves really serve no function......just look more PROfessional on the website pics.
I have boxes of them at work and I don't wear them as they interfere with my "magic
touch" when the tolerances get <0.0015".
I adjust large (13" diameter) gears in a 5 gear geartrain all meshed together with an adjustable eccentric to mesh
the final 2 big gears to 0.0013" (0.0012"-0.0015" tolerance) so the "magic touch" becomes important.
If I get it right, F-18 pilots get a good ride from several miles behind the ship to touchdown on the #3 arresting wire
on an aircraft carrier. Too tight or too loose and the pilots begin to complain about a rough ride.
Roger

DesertAdventures
05-06-2018, 10:10 PM
Europa Parts has it at $95 for OEM https://www.europaparts.com/water-pump-6112001101.html?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjwz7rXBRD9ARIsABfBl80og8lTyDEOAXIcAXPm NmdCNPAzKvUN9nLArtpAb5g7SyMqBZiO7JkaAqtDEALw_wcB

Please double check! :professor: Many companies trying to sell their NON OEM stuff will be quite sneaky and title items as OEM.

In this case at Europa, Graf is the Mfr.

A more thorough search or someone here can chime in to confirm if Graf actually is or is not the OEM part.

*Also as mentioned here and it write ups (I am almost certain 02 to 06 are the same) , be SURE to Loctite fuel pump bolts as it is common to find them loose.

Good luck from a fellow man with Malinois dog that is building a rolling dog house for both of us!

Midwestdrifter
05-07-2018, 04:20 AM
There is actually a company called OEM (at least there used to be!). So buyer beware.

SneakyAnarchistVanCamper
05-07-2018, 04:32 AM
It's not worth it installing lower quality parts with low quality control and wide tolerances. Pumps must be made very precisely to last a long time. Your sprinter deserves quality parts not aftermarket junk.

Midwestdrifter
05-07-2018, 04:40 AM
The real issue with aftermarket parts for European imports in the USA is the rebranding by the importers. Many parts are imported by a company and rebranded (Dorman for example). They often just import whatever cheap parts are in the European market. There is quite a few low cost manufacturers of parts in europe, as the eastern European countries have lower incomes, so parts costs are a bigger factor. This makes is nearly impossible to tell the quality and original manufacturer of the parts you get form Autozone etc.

If you do your research, it is possible to find specialty suppliers (retail) who sell higher quality, or OEM (not OE) parts from the European aftermarket. Many of these are the original suppliers to Mercedes. These will provide similar or equal service to OE parts (from mercedes parts chain).

ManWithDog
05-12-2018, 07:14 PM
i ordered the 410 dollar kit at millionmiresprinter. going to be installing everything this week. Then I must tackle the turbo issues.

mawsea
06-11-2018, 12:00 AM
When changing a water pump on a 2002-2003, no need to remove fuel pump but be very careful with the clips that hold the plastic fuel lines. I had bad experience with an aftermarket LASO water pump, it leaked. I bought it from a reputable sprinter parts supplier. I replaced it with a OE Mercedes/ Mopar pump . I installed the Mercedes pump only to find out the bolt hole for the serp belt pulley was not threaded !!!! I ordered another pump from Mercedes but it also was not threaded. After a two hour argument at the Mercedes parts counter , they had their mechanic tap the bolt hole. My original water pump lasted 300,000 miles!!! the aftermarket pump lasted 4,000 miles and leaked out the seep hole the entire time.

Midwestdrifter
06-11-2018, 12:13 AM
The bolt is thread cutting, so the pump has a non threaded hole?

Aqua Puttana
06-11-2018, 01:38 AM
From 2011.

The factory fastener is not a thread 'cutting' bolt but rather a thread forming bolt used in soft alloy castings.

The bolt will always be marked '10.9' on the head (normal bolts are typically 8.8) in addition to having a hard to identify, slightly triangular cross section.

Do not tap a non threaded bore when you encounter one in a new Sprinter alloy casting. It likely uses a thread forming bolt as a fastener. These are used in numerous locations on the Sprinter engine.

Doktor A

The Metric designation on the head of the screw tells you it's an alloy steel screw,
medium temper.
The term for the "thread forming" feature is trilobular.
If you would like more info, take a look at "ASA 10.9 Fasteners"

Here's the link.... go to near the end of the page where the strengths are listed:
[url]http://euler9.tripod.com/bolt-database/22.html[/url

Here's how the "trilobular" feature works:
"A trilobular thread forming screw with a machine screw's thread pitch. As each lobe of the screw moves through the pilot hole
in the nut material, it forms and work hardens the nut thread metal, producing an uninterrupted grain flow."

It is absolutely designed to be screwed into a specitic size straight drilled or punched hole.

Roger

vic