2014 Sprinter cranking not starting, help with diagnostic codes

swolltaire

2014 2500 I4 144"
Hi, I’m having trouble with my van. It’s a 2014 4C with 30k miles.

The van is cranking but not starting. All dash lights come on. Radio and overhead light turn on. Was not dormant for a long period or anything.

Immediately before this problem started I redid the wiring for a dash cam to an add-a-fuse at position 13 (radio). I also plugged a Y connector into the OBDII so my Scangauge could stay plugged in while having it used for dealership diagnostics.

The Scangauge is giving error codes P0090, P0091, and P0253.

I’ve tested all fuses in F55 rows of main and drivers seat fuse boxes. Also unplugged OBDII and removed add a fuse, replacing with working fuse. No luck.

Does anyone have a suggestion? In a tough spot as it’s late here in Idaho and we’re scheduled to move out by noon tomorrow and drive cross country :|

Edit: I’ve also tried jumping the van. No luck, so clearly seems to be something with the electrical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Pneumo

Well, definitely do a visual inspection before disassembling the entire thing. Make sure you can see the connection on each side of the fuse for any fuse slots you manipulated.

Was the dash cam hooked up for any significant amount of time before you tried starting it, and is there a chance it drew down your battery while the ignition was off?

I say start with checking the battery voltage. The p0253 code can result from low battery voltage, however if its cranking AND you tried jumping it, that may not be the issue.

Hopefully someone more knowledgable can chime in. I'll keep thinking on it though!

D

Deleted member 50714

Well, definitely do a visual inspection before disassembling the entire thing. Make sure you can see the connection on each side of the fuse for any fuse slots you manipulated.

Was the dash cam hooked up for any significant amount of time before you tried starting it, and is there a chance it drew down your battery while the ignition was off?

I say start with checking the battery voltage. The p0253 code can result from low battery voltage, however if its cranking AND you tried jumping it, that may not be the issue.

Hopefully someone more knowledgable can chime in. I'll keep thinking on it though!
Yes, Fully charged battery?

swolltaire

2014 2500 I4 144"
Battery appears to be fine, measures 12.8.

Just tried adding fuel because the tank was sort of low. No luck.

The dash cam was hooked up for about six months but started faltering on and off (I did a poor job with the connection to the add a fuse, hence this effort to fix!).

I’ll go the visual inspection route. It sounds like a short circuit having to do with the fuel injector. Will report back soon.

Thank you all for your help so far.

swolltaire

2014 2500 I4 144"
No visual clues...

Only other thing I can think to mention is that the dash cam is still cycling on and off (if I go to the start ignition position). It’s a Garmin. Starts loading then the screen goes white and it reboots. What kind of indication might that have? It’s been wonky since the first and only time I had to jump the van about nine months ago. That jump also wrecked my ScanGauge — I had to replace under warranty.

Going to head to bed and revisit in the AM. Hopefully can find a fix quickly and get out of town or else it’ll be a hotel until an MB dealer can get to it.

Do you think this is an issue that I should work with a non-OEM mechanic on? I’m weary given the warnings about non-OEM parts making their way in to the vehicle and leading to major issues down the road.

Thanks again for any and all input.

D

Deleted member 50714

I would suggest removing your "Y" cable for your scan gauge because the owner's manual clearly states not to hook up anything to the OBD port and the dealer could use this as an excuse to give you grief.

Kandaree

Based on the thread here I’m thinking I could have knocked something loose while redoing the connection. Anyone think this idea has merit? Want to be sure before I start disassembling the whole thing.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12132

Hello i hope that you can help me with this issue that i am having i had the same exact issue as you did and
to this day i have not found fix please help me with what you did to resolve

Top Bottom