PDA

View Full Version : The radio on our 2004 Sprinter is kinda not working...

Caleb1534
05-04-2018, 05:21 PM
About 5 years ago, our 2004 Dodge Sprinter's radio stopped working.

My father thought that perhaps there's an electrical short somewhere.

Today, I went out to fiddle with the radio, and I got it to turn on! All I did was press the up arrow button while I pressed the radio's 'on' button, and it came on. However, it turned off by itself shortly after that.

After messing around with it some more, I found that if the van's engine is running, the radio will quickly turn off by itself or it'll turn off if I press one of the other buttons on it. However, it will stay on and function normally if the van's engine isn't running!

I really want to upgrade the radio to an aftermarket unit, but if there's some kind of electrical problem then a new radio may not work either.

Does anybody have any ideas as to why this radio is so wonky, how to fix it, and if an aftermarket radio will work without checking for the possible electrical issue?

Thanks!

autostaretx
05-04-2018, 09:46 PM
You did check the two fuses involved in Radio operation, yes?

They're both on fuse panel #1 (under the steering wheel) .... #8 (20 amps) is always powered, #15 (10 amp) is switched by the ignition.

--dick

SneakyAnarchistVanCamper
05-05-2018, 07:10 AM
Ditch the radio, it's a POS, same with the speakers. I got a JVC bluetooth deck on craigslist for $20. My music starts automatically, it's so nice just putting my phone on the magnetic mount and driving off without having to mess with the phone. The speakers are easy to replace but I upgraded to boxed speakers.