RE: Putnam 25210 Hitch

djc126

RE: Putnam 25210 Hitch

Hi. Wondering if anyone has installed this particular hitch and could comment on it?

http://www.putnamhitch.com/main-nav1.html

http://zooserver2.zooropa.com:8181/PutnamResults.html?year=2004&make=DODGE&model=SPRINTER+VAN

Specs look good. It's a Class III Hitch with 6000lbs WC and 10000lbs WD with no drilling required. Tongue weight probably 600lbs. I would plan to add a weight distributing system, and would not exceed the 5000lbs WC under normal towing.

In particular:
Does the spare have to be moved?
Can the rear bumper reinforcement co-exist with the hitch?
What about product quality compared to other brands?

Their instructions are a bit confusing (typos, etc.) and need some clarification. I've contacted them and will have to wait for a reply.

In Canada the Cequent made products are a bit expensive. Curt won't even reply as to where I can buy their product. I just found the Putnam brand and it is way cheaper - can get it for US$160 via UPS with no extra fees upon delivery. The Hidden Hitch is CAD$285 but is only rated for 7500lbs WD.

Also, plan to add a wiring harness (factory one is US$160 or maybe a home-made one) and a Modulite brake controller.
Thanks.

Last edited:

josephpampliega

Re: Putnam 25210 Hitch

That is a great hitch and it was the only hitch I could find that can handle the load without drilling holes. I purchased the factory tow harness to reduce wire splicing. Installation of hitch was simple, instructions were simple with physical parts in hand.

In regards to your concerns,
Does the spare have to be moved? No.
Can the rear bumper reinforcement co-exist with the hitch? Yes.
What about product quality compared to other brands? Not sure as my concern was no drilling but in regards to finish it is not rusting yet.

If you plan to use your vehicle to tow that load you won't be disappointed (I've towed with much more powerful and supposively more capable but IMO they don't feel any better to me even through hilly turns). I am using that hitch on a 140" WB Passenger Van. I have towed numerous times of 8500 to 9000 lbs loads (boats, car haulers, dump trailers, etc.) in distances as far as 1200 miles with passengers through flat land and hills with no problems other than keeping up speed on hills (had to floor on lowest gear possible). Regardless, most of the time it can sustain speed limit on hills if you downshift. Most important pay attention to tongue weight.

Good luck on your decision.

djc126

Re: Putnam 25210 Hitch

Hi Joseph. I do find it strange that the instructions only say for 04-05 as 02-06 has the same setup.

What year is your Sprinter (your passenger doesn't have the standard step bumper that's on the cargo)?

Would that hitch weigh around 45-50lbs?

So are the step bumper rear brackets inline with the new hitch brackets, and they provide longer bolts to go into the rear reinforcement?

I'm trying to figure how to get the hitch shipped to Canada as I found another store clearing it for almost half that price with UPS shipping, but they will only ship within the USA (from MI).

Anybody else make trips to Canada and would be able to forward it to me?
Thanks.

Last edited:

Top Bottom