Looking at what might be a good deal?

sethc333

Hey! I am new here and looking to get an old dodge sprinter to convert into a living situation. I found a 2007 extended body 350 with 375k miles. From pictures the body looks in good shape but the owner says the engine needs a rebuild -- it starts but will not run.

It has rebuilt turbo, New tires, brakes, and lines, new serpentine belt and fuel line.

The owner is asking $3000 obo.

My question is whether there is a common issue that fits these symptoms and if this van is worth the money or if I should run?
I am mechanically inclined and have the time to fix it on my own, but I would not want to spend more than 2 grand to make this drivable. Thoughts? Things I should look for when I inspect the van? :thinking:

Thanks in advance guys!

72chevy4x4

just walk on by.

the learning curve to do the work yourself is great and the cost of parts is high. $2k won't get you where you need to be. It's intriguing that the motor will start but not run. There's the chance that it's something that is not monumental, but if it is, you'll be out the cost of the van plus a lot more. It's like Vegas, you might win you might lose.

Rob S

2018 Navion 24G IQ on 2016 Sprinter
These engines are NOT very rebuildable, but on the other hand if it isn't seized it probably needs something less than a rebuild, ie some combination of pumps, sensors, egr, manifolds or tune, filters, etc.

So you really need expert diagnosis, which is expensive, as are the parts.

If you can't get it running 3000 becomes 0 plus whatever you spent trying on top.

It does sound risky to me.

Top Bottom