PDA

View Full Version : Cam sensor, why?

drewwillgetyou
04-27-2018, 10:00 PM
Any thoughts as to why a cam sensor would be physically damaged? It won’t let me upload a picture right now but I will later. Motor turns over fine with no noise or visible issues.

2005 Sprinter

Aqua Puttana
04-27-2018, 10:12 PM
Any thoughts as to why a cam sensor would be physically damaged? It won’t let me upload a picture right now but I will later. Motor turns over fine with no noise or visible issues.

2005 Sprinter
Cam sensor, (top of engine) or crank sensor (bottom of engine)?

A cracked flex plate or other conditions could cause problems that damage the crankshaft sensor. That damage has been reported here.

The camshaft sensor is less susceptible to damage, but I would quickly defer to others with more information/experience.

vic

drewwillgetyou
04-27-2018, 10:49 PM
Check this out, definetly the cam sensor.

One call a/c
04-27-2018, 10:58 PM
Check this out, definetly the cam sensor.

[emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drewwillgetyou
04-27-2018, 11:02 PM
im assuming it got very hot

lindenengineering
04-27-2018, 11:05 PM
You POSSIBLY have something adrift in the valve chest!
It looks like a foreign object has been between the cam trigger lobe and the sensor
Dennis

drewwillgetyou
04-27-2018, 11:08 PM
Yea im worried about that as I have yet to hear the van actually attempt to crank just turn over.

drewwillgetyou
04-28-2018, 12:57 AM
So new sensor in cranking it over and now I get a low rail fuel pressure code. Cracked all lines loose at the rail with no fuel, lots and lots of fuel out of the return at the filter.

What to check next?

MillionMileSprinter
04-28-2018, 01:47 AM
Ok so your cam sensor issue and fuel issue are not related, as far as I can tell. You have a 2005.
Did you just buy this van? Have you ever heard it run or driven it?
If you bought it in non running condition, I would suggest you drain the oil and see if there is anything other than oil coming out. That cam sensor looks melted. Like it got REALLY hot. Like the engine was overheated. Like maybe the previous owner had their serpentine belt snap and they kept driving until the van just shut down.
This is all a guess until you answer the question: have you heard or seen this van run in the past?

drewwillgetyou
04-28-2018, 01:54 AM
Ok so your cam sensor issue and fuel issue are not related, as far as I can tell. You have a 2005.
Did you just buy this van? Have you ever heard it run or driven it?
If you bought it in non running condition, I would suggest you drain the oil and see if there is anything other than oil coming out. That cam sensor looks melted. Like it got REALLY hot. Like the engine was overheated. Like maybe the previous owner had their serpentine belt snap and they kept driving until the van just shut down.
This is all a guess until you answer the question: have you heard or seen this van run in the past?

Yes just bought the van, have not seen it or heard it run.
Found the front freeze plug was popped out and looks to have been run with water.

Have replaced the battery and starter, high pressure pump and cam sensor. Someone had pulled the front injector, had to recut the thread in the head and just reinstalled it tonight.

From what ive read i should get fuel to the rail from the low pressure pump and im not. Trying to figure my next step with fueling now, bew freeze plug to be installed tomorrow.

MillionMileSprinter
04-28-2018, 02:43 AM
Fuel flow for your van goes like this:
Low pressure pump in tank shoots fuel to the filter under the hood. That goes through a metal line to the high pressure pump. Then the fuel goes through another metal line to the fuel rail. From the rail, fuel goes one of two places: out the back via the fuel pressure regulator and back to the tank via the filter. OR to the injectors via 5 metal lines. That fuel goes into the cylinders or back out the top through the leak off lines. So if you are getting g fuel at the filter but not at the rail, look at the high pressure pump or at the filter for a clog or an incorrect connection. If everything is hooked up right, you can turn the key to the 2nd position and the low pressure fuel pump in the tank will push fuel all the way up to the fuel rail without any problem.

drewwillgetyou
04-28-2018, 02:57 AM
Fuel flow for your van goes like this:
Low pressure pump in tank shoots fuel to the filter under the hood. That goes through a metal line to the high pressure pump. Then the fuel goes through another metal line to the fuel rail. From the rail, fuel goes one of two places: out the back via the fuel pressure regulator and back to the tank via the filter. OR to the injectors via 5 metal lines. That fuel goes into the cylinders or back out the top through the leak off lines. So if you are getting g fuel at the filter but not at the rail, look at the high pressure pump or at the filter for a clog or an incorrect connection. If everything is hooked up right, you can turn the key to the 2nd position and the low pressure fuel pump in the tank will push fuel all the way up to the fuel rail without any problem.

So this is where I am lost, I have fuel pressure to the filter but not at the rail while priming. New high pressure pump so I'm a little stuck on whats next. If the regulator was wide open I would still assuming I would get some fuel out of the lines when cracked.

Midwestdrifter
04-28-2018, 03:29 AM
You need 60 psi on the low pressure side minimum. Otherwise the high pressure pump won't work.

Nautamaran
04-28-2018, 04:43 AM
The LP fuel pump times out after (twenty?) seconds, so you may need to cycle the key a few times to get fuel to the fuel rail?

Low pressure fuel reaching the HP pump can also bleed off via the HP pump’s relief (bypass?) valve into the pump’s return line. The relief flow lubricates the HP pump’s internals. If the LP relief valve is stuck open it might flow enough fuel to starve the rail? The LP supply also has the fuel quantity control valve, which may be stuck closed?
(I haven’t read the HP pump description in a while, so these valves may not operate in a way that could starve the rail during priming, but they might...?)

-dave

Midwestdrifter
04-28-2018, 04:54 AM
Are you sure the hp pump is spinning? You can look through the oil filler cap to see the timing chain. Major valve train carnage would result in the intake cam and thus hi pump not spinning.

MillionMileSprinter
04-28-2018, 05:28 AM
Excellent point about looking at the timing chain, however, the low pressure pump will pump fuel through the high pressure pump even if the high pressure pump isn't spinning.
We know fuel is going -into- the fuel filter. Is it coming out? Disconnect the small rubber hose on the output side and see if fuel comes out of there.

Aqua Puttana
04-28-2018, 01:29 PM
Purchased not running?

Give it small shot of ether and see if it will even kick.

vic

Patrick of M
04-28-2018, 01:44 PM
Purchased not running?

Give it small shot of ether and see if it will even kick.

vic

+1

No point in throwing money down that hole without a little bit of hope.

drewwillgetyou
04-28-2018, 03:45 PM
Maybe this will help?

https://youtu.be/yCL3ASoNSGU

drewwillgetyou
04-28-2018, 04:02 PM
Just confirmed 75 psi out of the filter and into the pump.

drewwillgetyou
04-28-2018, 05:15 PM
So in doing more testing it seems I have atleast 1 bad injector, I’m assuming this was the cause of the low fuel pressure in the rail but I still feel there should be fuel coming from the high pressure pump when the tube is removed?

Nautamaran
04-29-2018, 07:42 PM
The metal line feeding the fuel rail should, yes, but only until the lp pump times out. (you can hot wire the fuel pump relay socket so it simply runs... may speed your diagnosis? Cracking any HP line will confirm the LP priming flow.

The whole system is designed to be self priming, so fuel should be available everywhere, though you should not see much pressure on the return lines - unless there is a blockage? A return line blockage would give you LP pressure without flow, which would stop the priming process. You should be able to easily push fuel into the rubber return line coming off the banjo fitting at the back of the fuel rail.

The HP pump flows volume but it is the HP restriction that creates rail pressure, so a leak off test of your injectors and the fuel rail relief solenoid would be my next move after confirming that the fuel rail is primed.

-dave

klippencott
07-27-2018, 10:18 PM
What happened with this engine?

drewwillgetyou
07-28-2018, 02:21 AM
Cylinder 3 had lost compressor and the head gasket was slightly blown. After tear down it was found the head was warped too bad and the motor was scrapped.