PDA

View Full Version : 2004 sprinter 2500 surging

RockyBeach
04-25-2018, 06:14 PM
Help Please my 2004 sprinter with 150,000 miles has begun to loose power for a second or two then surge when under power going up hill. I live in the mountains and am constantly going up or down. It feels like the fuel is cut off and then sharply pumped back in.

MillionMileSprinter
04-25-2018, 06:50 PM
Change your fuel filter. Start there.

RockyBeach
04-26-2018, 01:11 PM
I did that and the problem continued. Reading the blog one guy suggested some sensor on the rail? I am trying to clear the situation by running diesel clean in the gas. The surging occurs while going up grade and is the weirdest thing there is a power hesitation and then a surge then it repeats but not at any specific time interval and sometimes it is a minor surge and other it is much larger. Then I can drive down and on flats for long periods with not surging.

I really appreciate any and all help.

Aqua Puttana
04-26-2018, 01:23 PM
Use live data scan to monitor fuel rail pressure and charge air boost pressure in the areas that trigger the symptoms?

vic

SneakyAnarchistVanCamper
04-26-2018, 03:09 PM
some sensor on the rail?
Fuel Rail Pressure Solenoid Test
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27630

"
CAUTION

The fuel system contains high pressure fuel up to 23,500 PSI. Do Not use your fingers to find leaks! High pressure fuel entering your bloodstream may result in amputation or loss of life.
Preliminary checks

Record and repair any active DTC, they may be related to complaint
Ensure that you have a good clean fuel supply.
Verify that battery voltage is above 12.0 volts"

"
Surge at Idle

Restricted or aerated fuel supply to the high pressure pump.
Actual versus desired too far apart, map the fuel pressure graph, if you have a fluctuation over 500 psi this may cause a surge. It may may be a bad fuel quantity solenoid valve (FCA). Verify fuel pressure solenoid operation before replacing the fuel quantity solenoid in the high pressure pump."

"
Fuel Pressure Solenoid, In Fuel Rail
The fuel pressure solenoid is attached to the rear of the fuel rail. The tip of the fuel pressure solenoid uses a knife edge, for metal to metal sealing. The knife edge actually deforms the metal in the fuel rail in order to seal the surfaces. The solenoid must be replaced if it is removed from the rail. The solenoid controls and maintains the rail pressure as commanded by the ECM.
In a DE-energized state, the fuel pressure solenoid is closed. During starting the fuel pressure solenoid is held closed by magnetic force. When checking the fuel pressure solenoid there should be no fuel coming out the return during cranking, and it should hold 870-1450 psi when unplugged during cranking. If it doesn’t, and the injectors are OK, then the fuel pressure solenoid is bad.
When driving, the fuel pressure solenoid is constantly open, the pressure of the fluid counteracts the magnetic force of the coil and the slight spring force to help maintain desired rail pressure.
If the actual fuel pressure, vs the fuel pressure set point, gradually drops and then spikes well above the set point then the fuel pressure solenoid is sticking and usually needs replaced."

- https://oregonfuelinjection.com/services-repair/diesel-diagnostics-repair/sprinter-diesel-diagnostics/

Injector leak by test:
https://oregonfuelinjection.com/services-repair/diesel-diagnostics-repair/sprinter-diesel-diagnostics/

glasseye
04-26-2018, 09:20 PM
Effing awesome. :hugs:

doug022984
04-26-2018, 11:00 PM
I think it should be pointed out that since you have a 2004 with an OM647 engine, the fuel rail solenoid is NOT replaceable as the procedure indicates. Numerous threads on here by DR. A caution to NEVER remove the fuel rail solenoid from an OM647 fuel rail. The entire fuel rail needs to be replaced.

Midwestdrifter
04-27-2018, 12:58 AM
Boost leaks can cause some odd symptoms as well. Brake switches can also cause sudden power loss (like someone turned the engine off).

ktm 300
05-04-2018, 01:43 AM
I had surging on grades too. There was a crack in the boost hose going to the intake manifold. The pressure would cause the crack to open and release oressure, whereapon it would close back up until the pressure built up again.... poof it would drop off again. repeat, etc Crack was underneath where it could notbe seen until removed.

slomoracing
05-04-2018, 12:59 PM
Can you manually disable the ASR with a switch, mine was doing something very similar and it was wheel speed sensors causing the transmission to shift erratically and it felt like a surge. The way I narrowed it down was constantly turning off the ASR via the switch on the dash.

RockyBeach
05-22-2018, 03:30 PM
Thank you everyone I took all the notes to my repair guys. So far my saga goes like this it just stopped surging then after two weeks it suddenly will not go over 2000 rpm. Is that why they call limp mode?

RockyBeach
06-14-2018, 01:25 AM
I wanted to update my progress on this issue. I have had the EGR valve replaced it was stuck and probably not functioning. I put in the aluminum replacement turbo resonator. Some say it makes more noise I live in the mountains of NC and I think that I hear the noise but it really isn't much. I really like having the confidence that the resonator will not be a future problem. I drive really steep mountains and I can barely tell the difference in the noise. I will say that I have insulated all the metal in the cab area with flashing rubber I call it the poor mans Dyno Mat and maybe that helps.

The surging has not reappeared and I am waiting for the Mechanic to get the adapter from BG to have them run a cleaner system through the fuel system that I hope will clean the full rail and help keep it running.