PDA

View Full Version : Got a 160k OM647, what should be done to it before putting it in?

LS1K5
04-25-2018, 05:21 PM
Just wondering if there's anything that is recommended to replace before installing it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

SneakyAnarchistVanCamper
04-25-2018, 07:42 PM
You could bench test the injectors at a bosch facility; some last 200K, some last 600K. You could replace the water pump with an OEM pump with a metal gasket, and the belt tensioner, pulleys, serp belt. You could check the flex plate for cracks or damage. You could clean and lubricate the exhaust manifold threads and check for flatness on the exhaust and intake manifold surfaces. You could put a few drops of oil down the injector holes if the engine has been sitting forever, to avoid lack of lubrication damages on the first startup. You should definitely change the oil and coolant, also you could flush out the engine block water passageways with a hose. Viscous fan could be replaced too. This is all preventative maintenance but the most expensive failure is always an unexpected failure on the road (Mojave desert?).

LS1K5
04-25-2018, 10:28 PM
Already replace the water pump, alternator tensioner, idler pulleys, flex plate, hoses and a bunch of other extraneous stuff. What I meant to ask was should I be checking the main and rod bearings or anything like that if they have known problems. When I bought the van it had a rod sticking through the side the block, upon disassembly I found it spun 3 main bearings and starved that rod bearing which sent it to its doom. Thanks for the input on the other stuff[emoji106]

Midwestdrifter
04-25-2018, 11:48 PM
No metal in the sump or filter? Fairly low miles? Not worth the risk to check the mains. Replace seals and gaskets where accessible, then run it. Bearing failures are usually due to overheat or loss of oil pressure.

LS1K5
04-26-2018, 12:04 AM
No metal in the sump or filter? Fairly low miles? Not worth the risk to check the mains. Replace seals and gaskets where accessible, then run it. Bearing failures are usually due to overheat or loss of oil pressure.Pulled the oil filter yesterday and looked good in there unlike my thrown rod motor.

lindenengineering
04-26-2018, 01:53 AM
If the crank has failed check the transmission front pump bush and seal.
Often prudent to change out the engine mounts and install a new ground strap during the install.
Dennis

LS1K5
04-26-2018, 04:01 AM
Engine mounts are new, rear bearings and thrust bearings were good so probably didn't affect the trans. It's got over 400k on so if there's a problem I'll pull it out and do a complete overhaul.