New to Me NCV3 with CEL!

Mcarcio

Hello all! New sprinter owner here and loving all the great info on the forum, hopping you can help shed some light on an issue. 2 months ago I puarchased a 2011 Freightliner 144 high top. It has 137K miles and has been maintained at a MB dealer ship. I have a stack of records.

Under hard to very hard acceleration I will get CEL code #P0087: low fuel rail pressure. The van will lose power considerably and the auto transmission will not down shift. When I get off the highway I need to downshift manually otherwise the van will try to start from a stop in 4th gear.

I have a (cheap) code reader and am able to clear out the code, and the van will run normally. Under normal driving conditions the code never trips only under very hard acceleration, like passing up a hill at 60 mph.

The obvious solution is the fuel filter but thanks to the service records I know the filter was replaced less than 1500 miles ago. Durring that same service the previous owners replaced the flow control valve on the IP because the van was throwing multiple codes for rail pressure issues (codes 11BD00, 11BF00, 11C000, 130F00)

During the above service the tech found "blackish fuel in area of inlet screen" as well and cleaned that out.

What I'd like to ask the forum is for advise on what to check/ replace next. I have owned diesels before and do as much of my own work as I can. I'd rather not pay someone $100 an hour to tell me to me it was something simple. I'm also aware that its real hard to pinpoint a potentially complicated issue without having the van infront of you hooked up to a computer. I'm prepared to pay the money to take it to a shop but thought I'd give you all a shot first.

Thanks for your time, and thanks for any advise you can offer!
Marc

D

Deleted member 50714

Not all MB dealerships automatically equate to service excellence. Some are actually Lemon factories and carful vetting required. I don't like the fact I can't speak directly with the tech and service writers may not be knowledgeable and or experienced, especially, considering the complexity of modern automobiles in general and Sprinters in particular.

I would attempt to locate a knowledgeable and experienced independent specializing in German or European vehicles. Ideally, employing Star Xentry diagnostic equipment specific for Mercedes-Benz vehicles. This will dramatically increase the likelihood of accurately diagnosing your vehicles issues.

Request a ECU and DPF history print-outs from your vehicle.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=205

If you plan to work on the vehicle, buy a better scanner.

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom