Sprinter prices, are they really?

I've been around Mercedes diesels a while and I have learned there is a lot of crackhead Ness out there, fair prices move fast and high prices come with an angry seller. A couple diesel suburbans, old fords, I tried to buy one last year and wound up driving 2100 miles round trip to buy a really nice 2006 gmc for a little over twice the price of the mid 90s fords I was looking at.

I have owned and driven a 1982 300sd, 1987 190d turbo 5 speed, 2005 e320 cdi, and a 1998 e300d parts car to build a diesel sl, just need the sl, everything else burned.

Back to the sprinter, I got to looking at the t1n I believe, up to 2006, it has the rebuild able engine although a bit dated, I'd be happy with a project but nothing reasonable seems to come up, I found a couple with bad engines for $4000 or 3k with body damage, mechanical is easy, I'd prefer to skip body. Plenty of runners in the 12k range.

So I decided to look at the 07-08 disposable engine, my understanding, miles don't bother me, best I have found so far is one with 227k low roof 144", I'd prefer a color, this one is albino, 12k, 800 miles away, airplane tickets are cheap, finding rust or mechanical problems on the other end, nor so much.

Most of what I have found is 18k+

Are the vans actually selling at higher prices or just listed? It seems I see the same vans over and over, my head is all wrapped up, I paid $18,000 for a fully loaded (yes, everything) 4x4 crew cab 2006 gmc 144,000 miles and a stripped naked van is a similar price?

Thanks for the advice and input.

mikesprints

Ask the seller to shoot a video of them starting the van and driving it with the camera focused on the dash. If they can go ten minutes with 2 or less idiot lights being triggered or on then you MIGHT have a candidate. Seriously. Then I'd be asking for many close up photos of the undercarriage and all around before I bothered anymore.

No extensive service records. Run away. From there I'd find someone capable of inspecting it.... someone very very qualified. Which will be the hardest part of the process.

Unless it's spent its life in the desert its going to have rust. Most of it will be on the sliding door where the side moulding is. Water ingresses on the mounting clips and rust from the inside out.

The engines will easily do 500K+ however the DPF, EGR, Glow plugs et al can add up quickly. At 190k I was on my second EGR, 1 Glow plug, and module, turbo cooler hose with a DPF most likely on the horizon. $$$.

lindenengineering

I've been around Mercedes diesels a while and I have learned there is a lot of crackhead Ness out there, fair prices move fast and high prices come with an angry seller. A couple diesel suburbans, old fords, I tried to buy one last year and wound up driving 2100 miles round trip to buy a really nice 2006 gmc for a little over twice the price of the mid 90s fords I was looking at.

I have owned and driven a 1982 300sd, 1987 190d turbo 5 speed, 2005 e320 cdi, and a 1998 e300d parts car to build a diesel sl, just need the sl, everything else burned.

Back to the sprinter, I got to looking at the t1n I believe, up to 2006, it has the rebuild able engine although a bit dated, I'd be happy with a project but nothing reasonable seems to come up, I found a couple with bad engines for $4000 or 3k with body damage, mechanical is easy, I'd prefer to skip body. Plenty of runners in the 12k range.

So I decided to look at the 07-08 disposable engine, my understanding, miles don't bother me, best I have found so far is one with 227k low roof 144", I'd prefer a color, this one is albino, 12k, 800 miles away, airplane tickets are cheap, finding rust or mechanical problems on the other end, nor so much.

Most of what I have found is 18k+

Are the vans actually selling at higher prices or just listed? It seems I see the same vans over and over, my head is all wrapped up, I paid $18,000 for a fully loaded (yes, everything) 4x4 crew cab 2006 gmc 144,000 miles and a stripped naked van is a similar price?

Thanks for the advice and input.
OK
First what is your budget?
From what you have STATED you have NOT been around a modern MB diesel--from your narrative OLD crap yes, but electronically controlled material by definition NO.

So selecting a T1N.
What do you want? A tall van for a camper or something more modest like a plain Jane cargo van?
T1N's
The easiest of the van range to work on and some similarities mechanically to the (0M602 series) you had in the 98 300d you mentioned. In fact my favorite van of all times !
Relatively simple modern diesel van.
Yes something in reasonable shape will be about $4000 with a major unit down like an engine.
Budget for a worse case scenario say to put a recon engine from some one like Jasper engine it and be able to make it all run with a reasonably priced scan tool for DIY activities will be $10,000 all added up.
Something in good shape running will set you back $7000 with some prolonged searching.
Yes some folk are asking silly money for these vans! Equally asking prices and condition are all over the map with a few flippers who are hoping to make a buck on Craig's list!
So beware !

OK now later vans the 906 range .
Really different from the Adblue models which came out in 2010 onwards
So 2007 to 2009 some had the gasoline engine in them--read quite good and reliable.
Yes now the V6 diesel.
Anything with more than 150,000 you approach with caution.They start as reasonably priced for around $7000 up.
AND have someone who knows how to fix a Sprinter with a factory style scanner to do a pre-purchase inspection on it for you. .
If service records are available its a plus. Most have been driven into the ground by bad maintenance or poor maintenance.
There is usually the rub!
The seller wants out! He has spent a boat load on money on it. Its been fudged up, possibly emission control converted/downgraded . Deep down its a pile of crap and I see them as imprudent post purchase specimens almost every day needing at least $3500 to $8000 spent on them to get it back to being a decent reliable van. Some even burn oil at 250,000 like its going out of style!
Budget about $15,500 for an exchange engine & install and then $650 for a DPF.
Offer anything less than in some cases hugely inflated asking prices and you will get an angry reaction. That is understandably because someone is trying to recuperate some of the money absorbed into the van. Akin to a boat--a hole in the water where he has thrown money!
Sound familiar?

Now later models--early ones plagued with emission related problems MB have really only got the right over the last few years say 2014 onwards. Again approach these with utmost caution with service records being an absolute must. In many cases with more than 175,000 on them be prepared to spend up to $8000 if poorly repaired or maintained. Did I mention BOAT ?? Have a problem with one of these and you will hear BRING OVER ANOTHER THOUSAND!
The four cylinder version post 2013 is a sweety, but most are asking big bucks for them which I gather reading from your narrative is not on your bucket list!
As usual caveat emptor applies and don't think for just one minute that I am savvy with cars why do I need a Sprinter mechanic not a DIY'r to look this over before buying?
Dennis

Last edited:

Brad75

2013 NCV3
when i first bought my van i stepped back an looked at it like ''$40,000 for an engine and transmission? wheres everything else?''

Thanks, I did all the work on the 05 cdi, same engine as the t1n.

I'm looking at pre cat piss vans, cdi on the back, and I'm trying to see what the market really is, my budget started at a few thousand for a t1n and moved up to let's see what the market really is for a newer van.

I had a Mercedes specific carsoft code reader that didn't quite do everything a factory code reader, but it did get pretty deep into the sub systems, it evendors told me what components of my dynamic seats weren't functioning.

And I would hardly consider the old cars crap, they were simple, but damn nice, I had all new leather in my 300SD I found in the junkyard and with the spring seats it actually was more comfortable on the bad roads we have out west than the cdi, I just wanted something more modern and I came across a fully optioned car with everything right down to the panoramic sunroof for a comfortable price.

I was looking for a low roof 140 or 144" van turn build a simple camper and be able to tow small trailers.

Last edited:

lindenengineering

Thanks, I did all the work on the 05 cdi, same engine as the t1n.

I'm looking at pre cat piss vans, cdi on the back, and I'm trying to see what the market really is, my budget started at a few thousand for a t1n and moved up to let's see what the market really is for a newer van.

OK newer vans 2007/2009 with about 250,000 on them in fair condition go for about $7000 up as starting point. Advise look at Ryder/Penske truck rental disposal listings for a realistic guideline on market pricing nationwide . All are disposed of at about 175.000 miles essentially a starting point

we had a Mercedes specific carsoft code reader that didn't quite do everything a factory code reader, but it did get pretty deep into the sub systems, it even told me what components of my dynamic seats weren't functioning.
Don't assume your current scanner will read the later vans!
Check the programmings loaded on it maybe up date if necessary.

And I would hardly consider the old cars crap, they were simple, but damn nice, I had all new leather in my 300SD I found in the junkyard and with the spring seats it actually was more comfortable on the bad roads we have out west than the cdi, I just wanted something more modern and I came across a fully optioned car with everything right down to the panoramic sunroof for a comfortable price.

I was looking for a low roof 140 or 144" van turn build a simple camper and be able to tow small trailers.
OK newer vans 2007/2009 with about 250,000 on them in fair condition go for about $7000 up as starting point. Advise look at Ryder truck rental disposal listings for a realistic guideline on market pricing nationwide . All are disposed of at about 175.000 miles essentially a starting point

we had a Mercedes specific carsoft code reader that didn't quite do everything a factory code reader, but it did get pretty deep into the sub systems, it even told me what components of my dynamic seats weren't functioning.
Don't assume your current scanner will read the later vans!
Check the programmings loaded on it maybe up date if necessary.

I was looking for a low roof 140 or 144" van turn build a simple camper and be able to tow small trailers.[/QUOTE]

Sincere advise . Get someone who works on Sprinters daily to do a pre purchase inspection for you.
Dennis

Emgo

I sold a long, tall, cargo T1N, 350,000 miles with no mechanical problems other than some rumble strip noise when cold about 6 months ago for $5000. It had no rust but did need some paint work because some paint peeled off when the former owners graphics were removed. I sold a 2010, long, tall, cargo with 185,00 miles about 2 months ago that was reasonably clean and in good shape for $12,000. It had a complete delete from the previous owner. I just purchased a 2008, long, tall, cargo with 308,000 miles that has been serviced at the dealer with all records. It has a dent in the left side, probably cost about $500 or so if I pay someone to fix it. The previous owner told me it occasionally will go into limp mode because of a problem with the intake flaps. He didn’t want to spend any more money on it and I bought it for $5000. I probably would not have paid that much knowing the engine and transmission could be nearing the end but I have a 2007 sprinter rust bucket with 160,000 miles for parts. This van drove excellent with no blue smoke on cold start up and had great power. The trip computer was showing 21 MPG and it had not been reset for 1000’s of miles. I could probably could make some money by reselling it but I think is this my keeper. I’ve been involved with Sprinter vans for a little less than a year. I have over 40 years of experience as a diesel and gasoline mechanic, so most of the time I’ll try buy a vehicle at a discounted price that needs some mechanical work.

Ken

Last edited:

wanderingstar

Thanks to Ken and Dennis for this great information! As an Aussie/European, I am planning to visit the USA in Jan. 2019 to buy a 2000-06 T1N and do a camper build. Mainly because I hear those models are lower maintenance in Mexico and Central America due the sulfur problem. But I have also read how there are fuel work-arounds for the 2007-8. I would not mind looking at a gasoline Sprinter but have no idea of their availability or how they run. I used to have a 2000 313 CDI years back.

I will be based around Ventura, CA but will fly to look at vans, preferably only once! I see one of you is based in Colorado and I am not sure whether the other is but if you want to PM me, I would like to stay in contact for lining up some possible vehicles to consider when I arrive. I have a fairly limited budget and the prices you both discussed seem very reasonable compared to the outrageous prices I see on Craigslist.

Also, if anyone here can tell me what the legal deal is with foreigners buying cars, insurance, registration etc.? It might be on a thread, better look there too I guess.

lindenengineering

Thanks to Ken and Dennis for this great information! As an Aussie/European, I am planning to visit the USA in Jan. 2019 to buy a 2000-06 T1N and do a camper build. Mainly because I hear those models are lower maintenance in Mexico and Central America due the sulfur problem. But I have also read how there are fuel work-arounds for the 2007-8. I would not mind looking at a gasoline Sprinter but have no idea of their availability or how they run. I used to have a 2000 313 CDI years back.

I will be based around Ventura, CA but will fly to look at vans, preferably only once! I see one of you is based in Colorado and I am not sure whether the other is but if you want to PM me, I would like to stay in contact for lining up some possible vehicles to consider when I arrive. I have a fairly limited budget and the prices you both discussed seem very reasonable compared to the outrageous prices I see on Craigslist.

Also, if anyone here can tell me what the legal deal is with foreigners buying cars, insurance, registration etc.? It might be on a thread, better look there too I guess.
Yes wise choice on the T1N models for Central & South America.
The skill level and parts support is far better for these models than the NAS V6 Sprinter.
I have customers who have made trips down as par as Peru from Colorado and I can help you find a suitable rig for the job.
I suppose all you need to do is determine whether you need a tall roof Sprinter or a low roof cargo model for your expedition project vehicle.

Buying a vehicle in the USA as a "foreigner" is no problem and all the formalities are very easy to achieve once here.
Dennis

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel

Given your circumstances, you might want to consider vans that are already converted to something you could use immediately.
Keep an eye on the vehicles in the for sale section here.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
We will be back in the USA after August 2018 from our Aus and NZ trips. If you find yourself in the midwest states or need a hand drop us a line. I would be happy to do a pre purchase inspection if the vehicle is nearby (I have scanner tools etc). I can also provide technical conversion advice and some travel tips from Mexico and Central America.

We always enjoy meeting and swapping stories with other travelers.

wanderingstar

I would be wanting a tall roof, but there is conflicting information in my researches. Says that in the 2500 only the 158" has a high roof, not the 140" - elsewhere I see the 140" does have a high roof.

2500 High Roof 158" 2.7L I5 OM 612/ OM 647 156 hp CDI.

Can you confirm for me what model this following pic is? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_Sprinter#/media/File:Dodge-Sprinter.jpg

So to be clear, I am after a 2004-6 140” Hi-Top. Or will consider, 2006-7 144” Hi-Top.

Can you also confirm what is the exact standing room height from installed floor to insulated ceiling? I am assuming there is about 2" to subtract each for them?

I noticed on your website a pic of a vans out the front, are they for sale or spare parts or both? I might be interested in scrounging a few second hand parts like an aluminium bumper etc. I guess you have your finger on the pulse, so getting closer to early 2019, I will be in contact about a vehicle.

Also, do you guys do suspension lifts etc.?

Thanks for your help!

Yes wise choice on the T1N models for Central & South America.
The skill level and parts support is far better for these models than the NAS V6 Sprinter.
I have customers who have made trips down as par as Peru from Colorado and I can help you find a suitable rig for the job.
I suppose all you need to do is determine whether you need a tall roof Sprinter or a low roof cargo model for your expedition project vehicle.

Buying a vehicle in the USA as a "foreigner" is no problem and all the formalities are very easy to achieve once here.
Dennis

Last edited:

wanderingstar

Absolutely, will drop you a line if there, all depends on where I find the Sprinter of course. Thanks for your rich resources!

We will be back in the USA after August 2018 from our Aus and NZ trips. If you find yourself in the midwest states or need a hand drop us a line. I would be happy to do a pre purchase inspection if the vehicle is nearby (I have scanner tools etc). I can also provide technical conversion advice and some travel tips from Mexico and Central America.

We always enjoy meeting and swapping stories with other travelers.

az7000'

2007 Navion on a 2006 3500 chassis
We got into this world with a 2007 Itasca Navion 23J on a 2006 3500 chassis with 39K miles for $39,000. 5,000 miles loving it so far! As I see the van plus the builds going WAAAYYYY over $40,000 dollars this was the right call for us. Full comforts, well built, and a low mile rust free T1N.

Within a 1 block radius of us there are 2 camper/moto van Sprinter builds, I Promaster build, 2 class B's and our class C. The new Subaru/Toyota of Flagstaff!

Top Bottom