Inner Tie Rod or ???

I've been having some noises while driving that I can't exactly determine just by sound, so I jacked up one wheel at a time today and did the usual tests. 2012 Cargo 2500 144" WB

The Ball joints look very tight, end links look tight, outer tie rods look tight. When the passenger wheel is up, no noise pulling left and right. When the drivers side wheel is up, theres a click noise when I pull left and right. This noise also happens if I rock the steering wheel back and forth small amounts. Almost sounds like it's coming from the little universal joints attached to the steering column (I'm not sure what they're called specifically). I'm not sure how to isolate the two parts to see if its the inner tie rod moving, I realize I should have tried to turn the steering wheel and get it to lock, maybe that will help. Will report back if that helps with anything.

The sound I'm getting over little bumps is like a low vibration that sounds like when the strut mounts were super worn out in my Jetta, only comparison I can think of. This may or may not be related to the main issue.

The turning sound is when I'm allowing the wheel to straighten back out once I've completed a turn (turn is complete, and I let the wheel slide through my hands to straighten out, if that makes sense). It sounds almost like something is binding while it straightens out, not a super loud noise though.

Another thing I had not thought about until writing was a few months ago I got some screeching noises while the wheel was turned all the way, happened a few times and I topped off the power steering fluid a little.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Travis

sprintguy

16+ yrs Master Commercial technician
Replace the effected side inner and outer tie rods, get them from benz and ask for a new outer tie rod mounting nut. You will have to align afterward. The inner tie rods fail when in a poor road area or have high millage.

Carl

Hi Guys, did the suggestions above fix the problem?

I have a 2009 Sprinter which has had the front wishbones and top / bottom joints done but I too get a noise which is similar (I think) to a knocking cv joint. My van has done this since I brought it with 63k on the clock, it has only done 73 now 4 years on.

I took it to my local garage as I am worried it will fail when the van goes abroad - it is a motorhome and I really want piece of mind - they looked and couldn't identify the fault.

Sometimes when I pull away or go over a pothole / bump I hear a clunck from the driver side front wheel. I had wondered if it could be the front shock absorber top pivot bearing but I am at a loss.

Any suggestions would be really welcome, thanks.

Andy

Top Bottom