PDA

View Full Version : Are my om612 Injectors worth more than the deposit??

rjz5400
04-23-2018, 02:23 PM
That's the question and maybe the poll if I can figure it out.

I bought 5 remanufactured injectors from europartsSD. very happy with them, so far so good as they say. no problems installing WELL other than missing the notch on a fuel return fitting and spraying some diesel that I had to clean up.

My old injectors were replaced as preventative maint, they all were borderline fail the overflow test.

See This Thread (https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61122).

But none were giving any codes or misfires, and performance was still good, I was seeing some light hazing at night, in headlights, under acceleration.

I wonder if someone with beat-to-death injectors wouldn't buy my set as spares or to replace a couple of actually malfunctioning inj. the deposit is 50$ Each so less than one remanufactured for all 5 is the return.

Thoughts??

lindenengineering
04-23-2018, 05:05 PM
The big debate what drives a diesel engine?

Is it the FIE system that drives it?
Or is it the mechanical engine that drives the FIE?
After years of work on diesel engines I would never put used in an engine except in emergencies when no alternatives were available.

The ball and seat variety used in T1N engines (and others) are prone to erosion wear,.
So testing them on a Bosch test gear/stand is the only known REAL good way to ensure you don't create contingent (expensive) wear by such things as bore washing.
The death knell of any diesel engine.
Dennis

owner
04-24-2018, 09:47 AM
I would keep hold of at least one or maybe two of them - they are known good injectors, they could be helpful when diagnosing future issues.

MillionMileSprinter
04-24-2018, 12:49 PM
Ha ha. So now after Denis' post no one is going to publicly offer to buy them.
Reminds me of a time I did a pre-purchase inspection on a Sprinter here in Philly. Buyer was out of state. The seller was (is) a "flipper". He watched me with a puzzled look on his face as I started to do the leak off test. He asked me what I was doing and when I told him, he looked at me and laughed.
Seller: Injectors are cheap.
Me: Most people I know don't consider $400+ per injector as "cheap".
Seller: I only pay $50 each.
Me: ????
Seller: They are used. I won't make any money if I replace every broken part with new!
At that, I finished up what I was doing and didn't bother to continue the inspection. I called the buyer on the way back to the shop and recommended he look elsewhere. Since then, whenever a customer has texted me a craigslist link to one of that Flipper's ads, I advise them to proceede with caution.
The lesson:
"saving" money on injectors only costs you in the long run. ONLY buy injectors from a trusted source: Me, Europarts, Dennis, the Stealership. The headache and hassle of having an unexpected break down and having to replace that "new" injector with the to-good-to-be-true price is not worth the extra cost up front to do it the RIGHT way the first time. Not to mention the very real possibility of damage to your engine, sometimes that doesn't show up for many thousands of miles.
Caveat Emptor!

lindenengineering
04-24-2018, 01:34 PM
The core value is about $100.
As used go and you don't have injectors to get rebate on, the price offered isn't bad!
Especially if you are putting a basket case engine together and need some cores to get a decent price on new injectors as an exchange .

I have sold several take out suspect sets for this purpose at $25 to $50 a pop!.

I was reminded only the other day how nice a new set of injectors makes the engine run!
Having done a head job I recommended a new set at 300,000 miles.
Customer authorized the install of new.
The almost instant fire up is a stark contrast to oft situations where the customer refuses to even contemplate a replacement. Extended crank times on engine re-works and spluttering on initial start up with the inevitable CEL on for rail pressure monitoring are the hall marks of saying you should have installed new injectors. (Budget won't allow it!):thumbdown:
Really boiled down, spoiling the ship for a halfpenny (ha'pennyworth) of tar!
Dennis

rjz5400
04-25-2018, 02:52 PM
Well, I guess that settles it. Interesting read though. ill keep trucking along with my 5 reman injectors and my return money from europarts .