Sprinter Advice.

TheMFVan

Hey guys, been lurking for a while, but now I'm finally in the market and I found a Sprinter that's running (but only up to 65mph) and the owner had scanned it and found the P0088 code for too much fuel pressure. He's asking 3000 for it (a 2005 140"WB 2500).
I was talking to a couple guys in another thread, but that topic had been solved and I wanted to continue the conversation.

Is it worth the risk to get a $3000USD 2005 140"WB 2500 with 250k miles that supposedly only needs a new fuel pressure sensor? (I know the '05+ models need the whole rail replaced probably which can be a $700+ repair.) I'm not local to him so I can't check it out in person.

Thanks,
-Nathaniel

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
Sure, if that's really "all" it needs.
I didn't read the other thread, but the high fuel pressure warning may actually be a symptom of the opposite true fault. Fuel pressure too low. Sometimes if the fuel pressure gets too low, the high pressure pump can overcompensate and it will throw a high pressure error code. With the Sprinter Market the way it is right now, anytime you see a sprinter under $5,000 and it's in decent shape, it's worth a second look, in my opinion.

TheMFVan

Well he has sent me videos of it running and driving. It sounds fine (compared to other videos I've seen of healthy sprinters.)

See if you can get the guy to this forum and have him do the injector leak off test or the fuel rail solenoid leak off test. If the sensor on the rail is faulty it is about $100 to replace and maybe 15 mins of time. It is right on the front of the fuel rail and is a really easy job to do.

TheMFVan

See if you can get the guy to this forum and have him do the injector leak off test or the fuel rail solenoid leak off test. If the sensor on the rail is faulty it is about $100 to replace and maybe 15 mins of time. It is right on the front of the fuel rail and is a really easy job to do.
On the 2005/6 models its hard to find that part though, am I right? Usually its the whole rail thats sold together?

TheMFVan

Great thank you, I'll see if he's game. I'd really like to drive a van back and not waste a round trip flight checking out a van that I pass on.

EDIT: He said he will do the test. Pending the results I maybe a Sprinter owner within the next 10 days!

Last edited:
The leak off test is good for checking injector health, although unhealthy injectors may pass this test. The Solenoid test I think is more relevant for your situation but having results from both is better.

hulagun

Haulin' A** since 1974
...I'm not local to him so I can't check it out in person.
Thanks,
-Nathaniel
Nathaniel, I bought my van "long distance" in 2012 out of Colorado, and it worked out OK. It wasn't a killer price but it was much lower than similar vans were priced at in California, and it was almost exactly what I wanted. So I did what you are doing, and rolled the dice. I ended up buying it, bought tools and spares, drove it home without incident and even had a great road trip. I'm still very happy w my purchase!

What I wanted to tell you was that although I had asked about all the important stuff (like Black Death), I did discover some issues when I arrived, and a few more later after getting the van home. All were small things that never showed up in photos and were not related to me by the owner. If you sweat the details, like I do, fixing them adds up to considerable extra expense and time.

When I arrived to check out the van, it ran and drove GREAT. It was filthy, had a cracked windshield, and some rust on the underside of the hood from an old dent not being repaired. All the dash vents were broken, and the steering wheel chewed up (dog damage). It had some ESP and ABS lamps lit on the dash, but the owner had said those just needed to be cleared at the dealer, and I took him at his word. The AC did not blow cold, and the fan only had 2 speeds. The OEM radio did not work.

None of these showed up in photos or were deal breakers, just examples of things I would still have to deal with. The owner was nice but unapologetic, although he did agree to subtract the cost of a new windshield from the price. He also gave me a $150 EZ-UP awning and a $50 set of tire chains, which I had not counted on.

Later at home, while cleaning the van, I found that mice had chewed about half the wires under the drivers seat! How it still ran is beyond me. I carefully repaired that damage and had the my local shop service the AC. Eventually they did get the dash lights to all go out, but that did cost a few hundred dollars in labor.

The best tool you have to help you is this forum!

Good luck in your hunt.

Top Bottom