Poptop-Sportsmobile only?

moab

Is Sportsmobile the only "easy" option out there of adding a pop up top to a Sprinter? I know a few on this board have gone the DIY route but I wanted to see if there were any other options out there aside from the Sportsmobile and DIY routes.

boardster

I was under the impression that Sportsmobile doesn't do it to Sprinters, and that only one member here ever did their own to one.

Diamondsea

Most vans (at least American vans) are a body on a heavy chassis frame whereas the Sprinter is of "unibody" construction. In the Sprinter type construction the roof structure is important in keeping the entire vehicle rigid. I believe that is why they offer different roof heights and do not want roofs cut off and replaced by big openings or fiberglass raised roofs. Their own fiberglass "mega roof" has substantial cross beams to keep the whole van body rigid.

boardster

I stand corrected.
For the NCV3 short wheelbase low roof, they indeed do.
A year ago I would have said if you want short & low,
you'd be better off w/ a Ford, GMC, or Chevy.
In today's uncertain auto world,
and with diesel cheaper than regular unleaded for the time being,
who knows?

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
In part outside of the US
The sprinter specific will take a pop top with a low roof variant but sales were so low they virtually became extinct, out of date out of fashion, as to the Sprinter specific having three roof heights.
Again the pop top is an old system and it's expensive to say the least.
The alternative of advanced roof additions for the room with a view above, what ever is the pod as the picture shows.
Pop tops are everywhere down under but on vehicles under 3Tonn it didn't make sence to spend three grand on a sprinters low top for the pop up tent, as to alternative options when buying a vehicle for a specific purpose.
Richard
466945_801672_4368_2912_105869306c2601_78 (Custom).jpg

BULBASOR

they will put a pop up on any low roof van - even sprinters

they don[t do pop ups on tall vans because ther is no way to get up there! (And, te whole point of the pop up is so you can stand up in a low van)

If you wanted a pop up on a tall roof I think Paul at Sportsmobile Texas might instal one for you but you probably will need to sign a waiver because he won't be able to garantee you can climb up that high to use it for anything!

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
they will put a pop up on any low roof van - even sprinters

they don[t do pop ups on tall vans because ther is no way to get up there! (And, te whole point of the pop up is so you can stand up in a low van)

If you wanted a pop up on a tall roof I think Paul at Sportsmobile Texas might instal one for you but you probably will need to sign a waiver because he won't be able to garantee you can climb up that high to use it for anything!
A?:thinking: you got one standing by your sprinter
we use ladder step up variation down under no problemo' getting up to Hi rent visionary to lay in a missionary position room above:lol:
One room above. in your love pod:bow:
466935_801645_4368_2912_105862706c2601_26[1] (Custom).jpg
Or do the jitter bug
Trakka

218009 (Custom) (2).jpg
Slide-out bed! for unexpected violators ..
The top will pop.:eek:

400d_3.JPG
How do you get to the top in a top pop:idunno:
Lightweight aluminium telescopic ladder. silly boys:lol:
61c5_27.JPG
Richard

kmessinger

Sportsmobile experimented with different lifts, etc. and finally came up with a good design in the past 10 months or so.

Had they perfected it before I bought my Sprinter from them, I probably would have gone with the pop-up.

As far as I know, it is only available in the 144" model.

Regards,

Keith

BULBASOR

Richard,

Tat's not a pop up - that's a hard top.

The pop-up people only put them on low vans-no high tops.

ehallspqr

I have seen one PopTop sprinter driving around and it was built on a low-top Sprinter chassis. Alt-Sprinter's comment about easy access to the upper bunk on what we call the Airstream Westy is correct. I climbed up the built-in steps to the upper bunk area and a friends and it was a breeze. Unless you have a medical issue you should be fine. My old Vanagon Westy wasn't too bad either. I looked at a regular Pop-top van conversion at the RV show and it had a rickety little ladder. Not good.

BULBASOR

Right - we already know that they will put it on a low roof sprinter - I think the question was if they would put it on a high roof sprinter.

elysium

Right - we already know that they will put it on a low roof sprinter - I think the question was if they would put it on a high roof sprinter.
Here's the reply when I emailed sportsmobile fresno in Aug 2008.

"Thank you for your interest in Sportsmobile. The pop-top when available
will be for the low top 144"."

Probably has something to do with the low roof being rated to carry 600lbs vs 300lbs for the high roof.

ehallspqr

True, I was commenting that they are being made for the Sprinter and someone besides Sportmobile is offering them. The whole concept of a Pop Top van is have a lower, garage friendly, gas saving low profile and lower center of gravity for improved handling. You lose all those things when you start with a high-Top Sprinter? I do think they are fairly uncommon for those reasons and because most people are happy with the Tall Sprinters inside height. I have never seen a Pop top on a high-roof anything. They always use a regular height Van and place the weight near the side-walls. The raised roof is not structurally strong enough to have that large of section removed to install a pop top. Unless the pop top has a reinforced frame to make up for the strength being lost, I think you would have a leaky, structurally weak mess on your hands. Why not get a mega-high roof Sprinter and make an upper bunk area in that? I believe there is actually a Westfallia conversion done in Europe that uses the Mega roof to add an upper bunk area. Having been inside one, the Mega roof Sprinter is absolutely cavernous. After that If you still need more height and size I would suggest something bigger than a conversion van.

SYCO GT

Hmmm. I'm actually seriously considering the conversion. Would be nice to have more headroom to walk around, and of course, the extra sleeping quarters....

Here's some structural info quoted from the website, Sportsmobile.

Is the van roof cut-out reinforced? Yes. The front roof van rib over the cab and the rear rib are not removed.
The sides and rear of the roof cut-out are framed with 14 gauge steel, bolted to the van roof.
This heavy steel frame reinforces the roof, supports the optional bed, and is the base for the elevating assembly. Actually,
we feel the roof is stronger after the Penthouse has been installed. It easily passed the FMVSS 216 roof crash test

BULBASOR

Don't talk to the people in Fresno - they are dorks. All they make are cookie cutter off road 'looking' vans for rich people in the Bay area to pose around in. It's a huge place and they pump out the crap assembly line fashion.

The real Sportsmobiles are built in Texas. Those guys in Austin treat every job as a totaly one-off custom build.

Having a penthouse on a tall sprinter is actually a GREAT idea. The idea of having a place up out of the way to lay around on a nice summer day at the beach would be great. The tent tops are very airy and cool even in the hot sun when the window shades are up.

The only way I can think to do it properly would be to put the pop top all the way to the rear of the van or a couple feet forward of that and put a frame brace in. The rear is strong where the doors are.

It's not a bad idea, but I would only trust Paul in the Austin plant with a special build like that, (if he were willing to do it).

kmessinger

Don't talk to the people in Fresno - they are dorks. All they make are cookie cutter off road 'looking' vans for rich people in the Bay area to pose around in. It's a huge place and they pump out the crap assembly line fashion.
I am not sure what a "dork" is but the folks I know at SMB Fresno seem pretty normal to me. The off road vans made there could be used for "posing" but the SMB crowd I go camping and exploring with would certainly take exception to that and to calling their SMB "crap". The only "rich" one I know of is Jimmy Buffet but I suppose there are others. I know I would like to be in that category.

SMB Texas does work with some different materials and certainly has different areas they excel in, but my Sprinter, built in Fresno, to my spec's and floorplan and is not some "cookie cutter" design although I don't see any problem with that either as some folks like standardization.

Regards,

Keith

WanderOften

I own a Sprinter Sportsmobile with a pop-top and absolutely love it. I spend at least 80 nights initial annually so I've got plenty of road time in the rig. No strength/stiffness issues that I can see. I believe the reason SMB doesn't offer a penthouse on the high tops is not only the access height but also the roof width. The roof on the hi-tops is quite tapered which would make for a VERY narrow bed once installed. As it is the upper bunk in my van is fairly tight for two. FYI

SYCO GT

I own a Sprinter Sportsmobile with a pop-top and absolutely love it. I spend at least 80 nights initial annually so I've got plenty of road time in the rig. No strength/stiffness issues that I can see. I believe the reason SMB doesn't offer a penthouse on the high tops is not only the access height but also the roof width. The roof on the hi-tops is quite tapered which would make for a VERY narrow bed once installed. As it is the upper bunk in my van is fairly tight for two. FYI
Do you have any pics you can share, would love to see it.

Another consideration is I have a passenger van. I wonder how structurally strong my converted pop top would be, since I have the window penetrations already, or if that is a factor.

What year is your pop top, and was it a cargo originally or passenger?

Lastly, how long did it take for them to do the conversion? I'm excited about the possibility of converting.

Last edited:

Kirmet

Do you have any pics you can share, would love to see it.

Another consideration is I have a passenger van. I wonder how structurally strong my converted pop top would be, since I have the window penetrations already, or if that is a factor.

What year is your pop top, and was it a cargo originally or passenger?

Lastly, how long did it take for them to do the conversion? I'm excited about the possibility of converting.
X2 I would like to see any camper pics.

Top Bottom