Low roof campers

I'm looking for a van to build into a light camper, having driven a 170" ext high roof limousine I'm leaning hard towards a 144" low roof, I realize this will have some issues, I would prefer a stand up shower, possibly drop a small section of the floor to make this possible, and perhaps an outdoor kitchen that can also be used indoors during inclement weather.

After hours of YouTube videos trying to decide on the best layout I may try a couple different configurations, the biggest challenge is front or rear bed.

Hopefully some more practical experience may help the choice

autostaretx

Erratic Member
"drop a small section of floor"??

Over at http://www.diysprinter.co.uk/reference/
you might want to download (at least) the three pdf files whose names start with "Sprinter_BBIB" (one is 2007, the other two 2011)
... they're the MB NCV3 Sprinter Body Builder's Information Bulletin, and cover such handy things as cavities beneath that floor that are available for "intrusion".
(although i can't remember them even remotely suggesting cutting a major hole in the floor)

tell us how it goes...
--dick

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
You will need mobile cooking utensils for outdoor use. Unless you are very short, there is no reasonable way to drop the floor more than half inch. If you move the spare tire to the back door, you might be able to make a dropped floor in that area under the van.

You will loose a fair bit of storage space with the low roof. But there are plenty of vans/layouts without standing room. Just be prepared for the significant trade offs. In reality the lower roof is still quite tall, especially in the USA with the higher ride height. There is pretty minimal trade off going to a high roof in my opinion.

Thanks, the spare tire may be a keeper allowing the best of both worlds, I don't yet have the van, still adjusting to sticker shock on 10 year old vehicles...

My last van was a 1989 vang on bluestar, unfortunately knowing what I know about these I can't justify the current prices, even a 144" van will give at least 50% more space.

I considered a kitchen at the back, open the doors and there is your kitchen, toss a tarp over the doors and you get shade, if it rains squat inside.

mtbkers

Thanks, the spare tire may be a keeper allowing the best of both worlds, I don't yet have the van, still adjusting to sticker shock on 10 year old vehicles...

My last van was a 1989 vang on bluestar, unfortunately knowing what I know about these I can't justify the current prices, even a 144" van will give at least 50% more space.

I considered a kitchen at the back, open the doors and there is your kitchen, toss a tarp over the doors and you get shade, if it rains squat inside.
These aren't low roofs but they do have examples of outdoor kitchens.

This one is Scott Shelley's. It's absolutely amazing (you'll have to watch one of the videoes to see it pull out of the bench seat):
https://www.instagram.com/sprinteradventure/?hl=en

Kris Lunning's (it's a few pics down to his previous Sprinter - it has a rear outdoor kitchen):
https://www.instagram.com/kris_lunning/?hl=en

Good luck with your search. We have a low roof also.

Last edited:
Love my std roof 4x4
MARC1

I seem to have private messages turned off so I can't message you, do you have interior photos? I'm struggling between the sideways rear bed I want and keeping the kitchen in the back with a dropped floor and a stand up shower and a smaller sleeping area up front...

Island Jim

I have a two burner stove in a cabinet next to sliding door, it works but we find we do most of our cooking outside on a portable one burner. I think a good compromise is a Camp Chef Everest two burner stowed inside that can be used in or out. A low roof 144 with a shower is not going to give you much room for a kitchen.

marc1

MARC1

I seem to have private messages turned off so I can't message you, do you have interior photos? I'm struggling between the sideways rear bed I want and keeping the kitchen in the back with a dropped floor and a stand up shower and a smaller sleeping area up front...
I'm on a road trip. When I get back I'll post some interior pics.

I have a two burner stove in a cabinet next to sliding door, it works but we find we do most of our cooking outside on a portable one burner. I think a good compromise is a Camp Chef Everest two burner stowed inside that can be used in or out. A low roof 144 with a shower is not going to give you much room for a kitchen.
After thinking for a couple weeks it hit me, they could be the same, simply have a curtain and shower in the kitchen, or between the back doors.

Ski Trip

i have a low roof 144 and love it. however, I am not planning on any significant camping or living in the van, and not adding any kitchen or bed or shower etc. that said, I can certainly sleep or camp in the van just the way it is, for the few times here and there I may need or want to do so. I am going to set up a small port-a-potty but it is a stand alone (sit alone, ha) unit that if needed will be used in a tent outside the van, or could be used in the van, but any of that will be pretty unlikely/rare occasions.

I wanted the low roof Sprinter, I just really, really like the way it looked. For what you are talking, I would *definetly* consider the high roof. theres a big difference.

Top Bottom