Radio AM reception

Redpillar

The AM reception on my Sound 5 Radio is intermittently terrible. It crackles to the point where it is unintelligible then it is fine for a while. Does anyone else have an issue with this? The FM reception is fine. I have jiggled the antenna wire with no luck.

Thanks

ptheland

2013 144" low top Passgr
The AM reception on my Sound 5 Radio is intermittently terrible. It crackles to the point where it is unintelligible then it is fine for a while. Does anyone else have an issue with this? The FM reception is fine. I have jiggled the antenna wire with no luck.
Yours is that good?!?!

I get virtually no AM at all on my Sound 5, and FM really only tunes one station.

I haven't had any time lately to try to diagnose the problem. I'll be interested to hear what ideas people here have.

showkey

First test I would try............ plug in a known good antenna witha long enough lead so the mast is fully outside the vehicle.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 50714

The Becker 15 is not much better and to avoid frustration, don't use it.

Claude15

2015. No AM reception when new. Pulled dome light and found antenna wire in position, but not fully plugged in. Reception has been fine since.

Redpillar

Thanks guys, I will recheck the antenna wire, which does not seem to be a coaxial cable. The radio actually does work well on FM, AM works most of the time but only where there is really good signal anything even slightly less then it is mostly static. I may just take... Bobs advice and not use it.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
The antenna is powered. Very often (either due to 3rd party head units or bad wiring) the 12VDC never gets to the antenna. This is a typical cause of poor reception. When things are proper, reception is fine.

eralimited57

2008 Sprinter 2500 170 Extended High Top 3.0L CRD
I had this issue with mine until I figured out that the wire for the power booster was never connected to the radio unit. Once I connected it to the radio, the reception issue vanished.

Top Bottom